• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris 4x4 not working

peerchking

So I have a 2002 500 magnum. I drove it this morning and on the one hill I hit the 4x4 switch and drove right up now this afternoon I hit the switch and nothing I spun all the way up. and when I flip the switch on the AWD light does not come on. Does anyone have a clue as to where to start!

thanks!

The first place I would check is the wiring running down along the strut housing. The wiring should be siliconed against the housing from the factory and since these are very fine wires they will occassionally break. There should be a clip along the harness from these wires someplace near the top of the strut, check them for corrosion and you should be able to unscrew the switch housing apart carefully to check for any corrosion in the switch.

I guess the easiest would be to see if you have power down at the connectors when the switch is pushed to engage the 4x4, and if not, then take a look at the switch. If none of that comes up with the solution then you would be looking at the 4x4 components inside the hubs.

Since your AWD light doesn't come on, my guess is it's in the switch itself.

Hope that helps.

That sounds like the switch. You did make sure to push the 4x4 button as you checked for power when you checked the wires going to the front end, correct?

I do believe you can take the switch apart and all it may be is dirty or corroded contacts in the switch. Carefull taking it apart though as there are small components in there that you may have to remove to get to the relays for the 4x4 button.

Not sure if the '02 was like this or not, but also double check to make sure your headlight works. Sounds stupid, but the 4x4 system was routed through the headlight pod on some Polaris machines. No headlight=no 4x4.

It happened on my 2000 SP500.

thanks guys

the switch is a slide type switch and I did take it apart and clean it. That is when I checked for power when I hade it apart. The head lights work high and low, I checked for broken and or loose wires. I did look on a web site and that hole assembly is $100.

Still scratching my head

You have power to the switch, the next simpliest step would be to take a tester and check the leads coming out of the switch right behind it for power, if you have no power there that would pretty much narrow it down to being the switch.

I don't recall if the 4x4 switch is in the same housing as the headlight controls, if so make sure you check the right leads coming out, should all be color coded.

there are 6 wires going to the switch (2- for throttle shut off/2 power up +/- and 2 that go to front end) I traced all so make sure, then I jumpered off the power uo to the front end and PRESTO it worked. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to order the throttle control assemble which holds the switch ( all built as one) I'm thinking at least $100

thanks for all your help I'll let you know how it turns out.

if that does not work I will be bald.

I would double check and make sure you have power coming out of the switch but check it right where the wires plug into the switch.

When you flip the switch to 4x4, power does not go directly to the hub coils. It goes from the switch and then ties into the gear indicator circuit and the reverse override circuit before it goes to the hub coils. This is why you should check for power right at the switch instead of at the connector for the coils.

It could very well be the 4x4 switch thats acting up but it could be a gear indicator switch. And as wierd as it sounds, I had one just last week that needed a new RPM limiter box to get the 4x4 working.(that was on a 325 Magnum) Just trying to help ya cover all bases before you spend money on some parts.

9 minutes ago, Tim Nichols said:

On those two pairs of wires going down to HUB I have 12 volts on both leads both wires in both pair are hot. I can't find the culprit

Welcome to the forum. Can you post picture or at least list your model and brand? ?

If you have an electrical tester see how many ohms there is at the plug in, going to the hub. If it reads 0 then its a broken wire or magnet is bad. I had that problem on my magnum, had to replace the magnet but now it is burnt out again.

the armature plates (part no 5211148) can also get worn down and keep it from working and engaging/disengaging correctly. Its cheap fix, but if you replace one side I would just go ahead and replace the other side as well.

It also very important to torque down the castle nut correctly when you put everything back together. I believe the manual says you need to torque it to 165 in/lbs then back off then take it to 124 in/lbs