• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a quiet drop away rest

NELS-BELLS

I have a Trophy Taker, Shakey Hunter. I like how it shoots but I don't like how noisy it is when I shoot. I can't seem to quiet it down and I've tried everything.

What is a good quiet drop away? The arrow containment would be a plus but not necessary.

Thanks,

Nels

What's making noise - the arrow being drawn back or something loose while shooting? The TT is a quality rest. I shot one before switching to a Ripcord but wouldn't hesitate to go back to one. I know DonBo shoots one and loves his. Good rest. Otherwise, if you've already made up your mind, the Q.A.D. lineup or a Ripcord might work well for you too.

I don't like the noise it makes when it slaps down. I've padded the heck out of my riser to make sure its not that. There is a piece on the rest that prevents it from dropping any further and that is what is making the noise. Just pull the rest up with your finger and let go of it and it will make a fairly loud noise.

Nels

Mine makes some noise too but it's minimal. I've got a Sims pad on the riser shelf along with some moleskin that helps. I know what your talking about though. I would think the overall bow noise upon release would outweigh any rest noise though. If you're shooing good with it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

DonBo - it's about time you UPGRADED avatars! grin

On mine...the piece that the string attaches to has a stop that prevents the rest from going forward enough to actually touch the riser. That is what is making the noise. It is so small that you can barely get a small enough piece of mole skin on it. But it still makes the noise. Maybe they have changed the design since then.

I have an older bow and I took a 37 yard shot at a doe recently and it jumped the string. Just grazed her back. Now I'm on a quest to make my bow as quiet as possible.

Thanks for the photo. I'll have to check out the new ones.

Nels

Nels,

I'd take your bow to a good bow shop and have them check if the rest is installed correctly. The launcher should hit the shelf pretty flat. You can adjust the rest up to make it land flat, but that might affect your arrow flight and your nock point might need adjustment as well.

I have a Shaky hunter and with moleskin on the launcher and the shelf the thing is quiet. People comment how quiet my bow is.

Nels,

I'd take your bow to a good bow shop and have them check if the rest is installed correctly. The launcher should hit the shelf pretty flat. You can adjust the rest up to make it land flat, but that might affect your arrow flight and your nock point might need adjustment as well.

I have a Shaky hunter and with moleskin on the launcher and the shelf the thing is quiet. People comment how quiet my bow is.

The local archery shop are the ones who installed it. On mine the rest barely touches the padding I have on the riser. I'm afraid that if I put anymore padding on the riser that the arrow fletchings won't clear the rest. Maybe I need to bring it back to them and have someone else check it out.

Nels

Is the launcher too wide to flatten out on the shelf? That is a wide launcher on the shaky. If that is the case you might be able to get a pronghorn launcher instead of the wider shaky hunter fork. Or just grind a little off the sides. Or buy a new rest....