• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some help....

96trigger

OK boys (and girls) I am wondering whay many of you do to keep your scent trail to a minimum when you go to the woods. Last year my trail kept getting busted, never had that happen before. This year, the same thing is happening. I bought a pair of rubber boots (lacrosse alpha lights), thinking that would help. last night, two does came out early, caught my scent trail and took off. Man are they getting spooky.

I am very scent conscious, its funny because the deer don't smell me, both of those does came downwind of me and never got my scent. However, they hit my trail and back in the woods they went.

I shower everytime I go out. I don't wear my boots anywear but to the woods, and they never go in the house. Last night when I got home, I put them in a tub and threw in a scent wafer. I spray them down before I head to the woods. Are there any other tricks that I can do? I almost layererd the tub with cow shat as a cover scent, but I will see if the wafer works first, its a much more pleasent smell.

Also, should I be tucking my pants into the boots, the pants also stay in a tub and I change in the field. I am wondering if the pants are leaving a scent trail when it brushes across the alfala. Any tips of info would be appreciated. I know that if I can't get the does in the field, I won't get the bucks to eventually show up and its almost show time for them.

It may be "how" you are getting there. I have a few stands that I have to walk twice as far to get there than I could. Just so that I will not get busted.

In my opinion, you can do everything in the world to try and scent free yourself.. Their nose is too darn good, they will smell you.

my only advice would be.. if the wind is wrong to get into your stand.. find a different stand to hunt that day.. getting busted on your way in is FRUSTRATING.

Not only that but if you are getting busted going into that stand a lot, you may be training them to bust you.. might be time to give that stand a break.

Not getting busted going in, I'm getting busted an hour later when they come across where I walked in, I did screw up last night and come through the corn field too early. I had to walk a few hundred feet through the alfalfa. The best bet is to go directly to my stand from the corn field, only about 20 yards, that way if they do get my scent, it should be too late. I bent some corn last night to show me where to walk in so I can go directly to the stand. Its almost impossible to reach these stands without walking through the fields unless you are half billy goat and want to scare all the deer out that are bedded on the side of the bluff.

I read somewhere one time that deer don't necessarily smell your scent when they bust your trail. They can smell the amount of disturbance left behind after you walk. Like leaves upturned, fresh earth smell. The more disturbance, the bigger the animal or predator.

They might have detected that this particular disturbance is related to humans and thus bust the area.

I think it makes sense.

trigger, that's a tough one. I've seen them spook like you did and then the next one passes without a blink. I guess it may be just a sense of danger they get once in a while. Maybe try walking in a cow pie before heading into your stand.

Also, should I be tucking my pants into the boots, the pants also stay in a tub and I change in the field. I am wondering if the pants are leaving a scent trail when it brushes across the alfala.

This could certainly be the problem. The cloth from your pants will hold more scent than the rubber boots.

Quote:
disturbance

Bingo. Walk with soft feet. I try to step in every fresh pile of deer turds I can find and rub it all over my boots. Last Saturday I had a doe follow my entry trail all the way into me until she got downwind and then blew outta there. Even with clean boots, they still know something has passed and often curiosity will get the best of them. There's no way to fool a mature deers nose on a consistent basis but there are small things to tip the scale a bit. Definitely tuck your pants into your boots.

Quote:
trigger, that's a tough one. I've seen them spook like you did and then the next one passes without a blink. I guess it may be just a sense of danger they get once in a while. Maybe try walking in a cow pie before heading into your stand.

Sometimes they bust my trail, sometimes they don't. I can't figure it out. I've been trying to pay attention to weather conditions and ground conditions but haven't figured it out yet. It is happening more often than not though. Do you guys think that taking some cowpies from my pasture and putting them in the tub with my boots will do anything to help cover the scent?

I will also definitely be tucking the pants into my boots from now on. What I don't get is why they don't seem to smell me in the stand, but man they walk across my path and get really nervous.

My main type of hunting is to get in the field edge, watch the does come out, wait for the buck, then call him in. It is a strategy that I have had great luck with. The problem is if they come across my trail before I can get a shot, they will take off, and these bucks can come from anywhere, there is no real access point on the field edge. They can come out in one area, and the next night be 100 yards away, which is why I call them in. Thats why I am getting frustrated with my scent trail. I really want to cut down on that. It is not possible to access these stands from a new location without tromping through the woods. My best tactics are to get in quickly, quietly, and directly.

Just to give you the lay of the land. I park on top of the bluff, the fields are contoured all way to the woods and bluff line, where they meet they drop off. To get to my stands I cut straight through two corn fields and two alfala fields. The alfalfa field lines the woods. The deer come out and walk in the alfalfa field between the woods and the corn field feeding on the alfalfa and the corn. They usually feed right past my stand, but lately, they have hit my trail and went back in the woods. That is where I am at right now.

Rubber boots always work better for me than hiking boots, but sometimes they still smell wrong to the deer.

Don't walk in the trail, or over any trail you are hunting. Come at your stand from the back side where the deer don't travel if possible.

Beyond that, some guys walk through the cow pies in areas that deer are around lots of cows. Or you can go walk in a swamp for a bit to get some muck on your boots before going into the woods.

edit: I re-read your last reply here Trigger. With limited access options to your stand, you could try taking some of the grass from the field and cut it fresh and rub your boots through it a bunch to get the smell on them. That might help fool the deer I suppose.

I also tuck my pants in all the way on my rubber boots so the bottoms don't touch the grass/weeds above my ankle.

I also tuck in my pants into the rubber boots. Remember to spray your legs even though they go in the boots.

This year I have been busted more than a couple times. More than I am accustomed to. I was talking with another guy, who I think knows more and he said this year with it being so damp, the scents are holding alot longer. The dryer the air the quicker the scent evaporates. Who knows. I also used the make it yourself scent eliminator, I think I am going back to the boughten brand.

gl

thought about the dampness. It sounds right, I know that when it's really cold, its dryer, and I don't seem to have near the problem that I am having this year. Maybe the wet weather and the deer making my trail out are not just a coincidence. Where is that sun anyway?

This dampness theory might hold some water. Deer do lick their noses because the moisture helps attract scent in the air. Not sure how to beat it other than taking extteme scent control measured and hoping for the best.

Do you wear you boots in you vehicle. I have heard this is a bad idea. Example is you step in a puddle of gas at the gas station in your tennis shoes. That transfers to the floor mat. Then you jump in with your hunting boots and now they smell like your floor mat. I always keep my boots in the tub and change when I get out of my truck before going into the woods. Something to think about I guess!

it depends a lot on the individual deer. ive always wore leather boots just because my feet get cold easy.i used to dairy farm and wore boots right out from the barn thinking the scent would be more natural as i always hunt farm land, and i would have most deer walk right over my trails no problem. that changed when i saw the biggest buck ive ever seen come across my trail and bolted like lighting. well since ive experimented with differnt scents same deal some didnt care some did. this year i used earth masking scent on my boots and pants bottoms and i had a doe follow my trail within 8yds. of my stand. like i said really depends on the deer.