• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning your clothes?

Unless I sweat like heck I don't clean them. I do, however, hang them outside and give them a dousing of scent killer spray if possible. BTW, I turn them inside out when doing this since that's what touched my skin or was closest to it. No need to wash them every time otherwise.

I will wash my outerwear 2 or 3 times a season. I was may base layers and everything else a lot. I store everything in scent proof bags and containers. In each container I have a sock filled with backing soda as well. All my outer layers are carbon activated so that is a weekly deal. I have been taught that one can never be too careful when trying to fool a whitetail. When in doubt wash your stuff.

I keep my outerwear in a rubbermaid box with scent wafers in it. Keeps them smelling like Earth scent. Back pack and all goes into this box. I've shot several deer downwind that didn't spook.

I also only remove them when I am parked with the truck off and ready to head into the woods.

the only time i wash my stuff is after getting wringing wet from sweating, if i've gutted a deer, or after a night of celebrating with beers and cigars! other than that is stays in the tote with earth scented wafers, and gets sprayed down regularly

I think those scent killer and scent attracttant companies are laughing all the way to the bank with all the money there making all spays, soaps, tooth paste and what not. Seen the other day they now go some imitation scented deer dropings. I'm waiting for the DDW butt wipes and fart filters (thats what I could use)

I believe in taking some measures for scent control but I don't think you need to be all OCD about it either.

I'm waiting for the DDW butt wipes and fart filters (thats what I could use)

me to! but first, they need to make something to get rid of the heavenly smell of [PoorWordUsage]! now thats something i'd buy grin

and i dont mean crapping in a bottle.

John478,

First of all welcome to FM! You have found and awesome HSOforum! Hopefully my post doesn't deter you from posting in the future, it's a matter of my own opinion.

In terms of scent control I'm going to have to disagree with you. I beleive a person should either choose to not be scent concious or do the exact oppostie and go all out with it.

I see no logic in only taking some measures with scent control. If you wash your clothes, but don't shower with scent free soap, use waffers in you tote bins, spray down before entering the field, etc... then in my opinion you have wasted your time washing your clothes. Your outside layer may be scent free, but you body is not, which basically counter acts any scent control measures you have taken.

In taking the extra measures with scent control I find that on average you may not instantly see more deer on your next hunt, you may still get busted from time to time, but when it comes to a moment where you need a deer to close the gap downwind of you, it definitely can't hurt your chances.

To answer the orignal question, I usually wash my clothes and undergarments a couple times a year.

Like everyone else I wash mine after I get soaked in a rain after sweating badly or guting a deer,as far as washing them I scrub the bath tub out to remove any soap and then hand wash in the tub with baking soda line dry and then they get stored in a air tight hunting storage bag with earth scent waffers and get sprayed with scent killer and earth cover scent every trip out I dont get dress till I get out of the truck and everything goes back into the bag before I get into the truck the only thing that i dont put into the bag is my bow and I also spray that down before going out. As far as why the tub I don't know about your wifes or girlfriends but my wife loves the laundry to smell great and my washer and dryer do also and I cant get rid of the flower smell in them.

I do some of the scent control. I try to not touch any brush and make sure I leave no scent from walking in.

The biggest scent control option for me is to climb very high in a tree and wear camo. If one is high enough, that will take care of alot of issues for the archery hunter.

Nothing wrong with using every scent control method out there as it all helps but I just don't go that far myself.

i washed my clothes with baking soda nothing else on wednesday before i went out because the wind was wrong for the stand i wanted to hunt.i was only in it for about 1 hour and i had a nice doe come in from down wind and she spent about 20 minutes walking all over around my stand.she was in as close as 5 yards and even crossed the trail i walked in on and she never spooked at all,she even looked right at me a couple times but i never moved and she just kept feeding on some green leaves before i ended up taking the shot.

I wash them whenever I can smell them.

My stuff hangs out on the screened in porch all fall. As soon as I get home from hunting they hang outside. LAst few days my family is getting used to seeing me after hunting getting into the house through the sliding glass door in only my underwear.

Bought a gallon of SportWash 2 years ago and it works. This isn't the stuff marketed to hunters, Its the stuff they sell to schools for washing uniforms in large batches but by buying in volume you can wash whenever you want and not feel any $ pinch.

I dont like the wafers and think they stink too much. I also feel that keeping my stuff in totes for a long time makes them stink too, even with baking soda.

I thtink the boot trail is the most important aspect of scent control.