• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Pee out Pee Hole - Something Easy Before River Trip?

Howdy,

I'm goin' to the St. Croix River Wednesday for a long trip.

My bulletproof 2003 Suzuki 140 4 Stroke is not peeing out the pee hole.

Was in a muddy/weedy ramp last time and noticed it didn't pee before I took it out of the water.

Took the 2 grates off the bottom and cleaned it - not much stuff.

I put the ears on it for 6-7 minutes with no pee out the top, but it came out of the hole below.

Took it to Forest Lake 1/2 hour ago and it didn't pee.

Took the cap off the pee hole blew it out and put it back on, backed it in the water and it still didn't pee.

Since I am going out for a day trip on the River, what should I do next to get it to pee?

Thanks much!

FFaL

Um, I rev'd it up in neutral, but it cuts out, so may got to 1/2 top RPM - with no peeing.

The engine has "about" 400-450 hours.

This happened another time this late Spring, but pee'd after quite a while.

"IF" it's not plugged, is it something I can replace tomorrow in a couple hours or less? Is the 6-7 minute running hurting the engine? I have Amsoil in it.

Thanks!

I hate to break it down hard, but you have only 2 choices.

Find an air compressor (rent, buy, loan) and blow the line out to see if it pees again, and/or replace the water pump impeller (it takes 2 hours).

The alternative is a $ 10,000 bill for a new motor after 1 day of vacation.

There is no other way.

I use a bottom bouncer since they're usually handy at the time (any wire will do) to clean out the hole when it becomes plugged. Usually that's all it takes.

I have that happen all the time on my Yamaha. I do the same thing as LMITOUT and keep a small piece of wire in my boat box. Just poke it in the Pee Hole and it frees up the silt and mud you picked up in the shallow water. I check my motor several times a day to make sure it is peeing and the wire gets used fairly often.

Look behind the telltale stream fitting in your lower cowl (where it pees from). Can you get to the hose that connects to that fitting on the inside of the lower cowl?

If so, pull that off and run the motor... is there any water coming out of there?

marine_man

My Suzuki (60hp) has the hose hook-up to help flush out things. It helped to get my stream flowing again. If yours has this, try it instead of using the earmuffs.

Note: I don't think the motor should be run while using the hose intake instead of the earmuffs, that's if I'm remembering it correctly. Check your manual.

Duffman, I believe you're correct. Use the hose hook-up, not the muffs - that's what they're there for. And putting a thin wire down the pee-hole a ways is all right - I've had small snail shells clog mine up - get a thin wire that's maybe a foot long and see if you can gently check things out - gently - so you don't poke any holes in the rubber hose.

Just so we're 100% clear here:

Do NOT run the motor with only a hose connected to the hose connection / flush connection provided on some outboards.

To run a outboard out of the water use the rabbit ear style that clamp over the intake screens on the lower unit.

marine_man

Update!

I took the hose off the pee hole and ran old telephone wire up it, there was a stopping point before the connector, but pushed thru it.

Hooked up the ears after the ice came out of it.

It pee'd in spurts, then full stream!! Woo-Hoo!

Either the blow out last night or better yet, the telephone wire did it.

Nothing came out of the hole though...

Off to the river!!!