• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much do pike relate to muskies

HugoBox

If I had a nickle time someone, on a slow day, says, "I can't believe we don't at least catch a pike or a bass" I'd have enough nickels to buy another musky lure.

That said, I'd also have a lot of nickles for the days when it can be frustrating because the pike get going pretty good as you're trying to crack the ski code.

There has been plenty written about both the similarities and differences between pike and musky I'm wondering what keys to their behavior may help you find muskies when all you're seeing are pike.

For example, you see a big musky or get a lazy follow but clearly the fish isn't eating right now. You move to a different later in the morning and all of the sudden start popping pike (or bass for that matter) - could that indicate that a feeding window may be opening and you should head back to the big ski? Or does it mean that reading too mauch into observations made on the water will only slow down my already tired brain??

Quote:
could that indicate that a feeding window may be opening and you should head back to the big ski? Or does it mean that reading too mauch into observations made on the water will only slow down my already tired brain??

lol, i love it. i'd say your going in the right direction, just driving the wrong car. muskie and northern and bass eat. they all relate to forage of some type when they feel hungry. and feeding window, feeding shmindow, IMO. i think it's a crock the way it's portrayed smile. a muskie (any fish) will eat the next time according to how big it's last meal was, it's as simple as that. where it eats is according to a book full of factors. sustenance drives it's brain and it will eat when it's hungry and, on occasion, answer when opportunity knocks. could be said of other fish too. except maybe bass and pike. they see? they eat.

According to an episode of Joe Bucher, once the pike start feeding, the muskies aren't far behind. That might only be true for Wisconsin though, haha and I suppose the truth of that statement really depends on whether or not you trust Joe Bucher.

Hammer handles are a harbinger for a Muskie free location no matter how good it looks or was last week, another reason Muskie anglers need to care about the health of our Pike fishery....

That only makes sense.

If I were a hammer handle and a 50 inch muskie (or a 40 inch northern for that matter) was in the area I wouldn't be.

Much like spearing. When you see the little fish hanging around you don't have to concentrate too much on the hole.

When the little sunnies and perch disappear in a quick hurry... there is something coming.

I think it has less to do with the health of the pike fishery and more to do with the hamerhandles not wanting to be eaten.

According to an episode of Joe Bucher, once the pike start feeding, the muskies aren't far behind. That might only be true for Wisconsin though, haha and I suppose the truth of that statement really depends on whether or not you trust Joe Bucher.

I'd actually say that this is very true in Wisconsin, but only in certain circumstances. If you are catching hammerhandles that seem to be holding tight to thick weeds chances are there's a bigger fish in the area. However if pike are active over sparse cover or are coming out a long ways from structure you probably won't catch anything bigger.

Quote:
could that indicate that a feeding window may be opening and you should head back to the big ski? Or does it mean that reading too mauch into observations made on the water will only slow down my already tired brain??

I'd don't know if you'd call it big, but a couple years ago on tonka I caught a mid 20" pike and a 40" musky on back to back casts. And even if you're thinking about feeding windows, with the way a lof of guys fish these days aren't they more reaction strikes than actually feeding?

Zelmsdawg

I don't think pike are a deter. This year I caught a 42inch ski, along with 25,27,29inch northern within an hr. Yesterday my partner got a northern and next cast i got a muskie. Also, I've had muskies T-bone pike or bass i'm reeling in. As long as im not using a bulldawg I dont mind the pike.

I too dont think small pike run too far from a muskie either. Im sure they will hunker down in the weeds or get out of their way when possible but they wont move to the other side of the lake. Example, when ice fishing Ill see pannies on my camera, a pike will cruise through and the pannies disapere, many times they will be back within 20 seconds. They dont go far just hide.

This year on all my 'ski trips if we didnt even catch a pike we also never saw or caught a 'ski. Every trip we saw or caught a 'ski the pike were biting too.