• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DISGUSTED at the access Friday afternoon

Gordie

Im totally for CPR. Not against somebody keeping a meal or 2 though. That is their right. Nobody is telling you what you can or can not keep. I think this is an ethical and do whats right issue. There should be a regulation as far as size that should be released. That goes for any game fish. I can go down to the river right now and watch families fill thier buckets with sunfish no longer than my little finger.

How can our future generation catch a trophy size fish when there

are selfish people keeping anything and everything that smells their hook?...

I agree with the " Take a picture"..It"ll last a lifetime.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there were no bigger meat hunters then our last generation. i'm almost 50 and my dad and grandfather kept everything. we have survived that era and in most cases fishing is better today then ever before. leave the regs to the dnr they seem to do a pretty good job. you will never stop everyone from keeping whats legal. i think most people on this site are c&r. i really get tired of someone else telling me whats right or wrong and i'm guessing most people feel the same. this subject comes up about every kind of fish that swims, go fishing have fun and keep what you feel is right. you might not like it but it is what it is.

Why is it the people jumping in to post in defense of keeping big fish seem hostile and defensive? I am guessing it is a symptomatic of a mindset and attitude, but I won't elaborate. I don't think anyone here who are disappointed about people keeping big fish have been disrespectful, belligerent or intrusive.

Here's my take. Anyone can catch fish. It takes forethought, unselfishness, appreciation and understanding to be a conservationist and practice CPR and selective harvest.

I hope slot limits become more common than 'experimental' lakes and more standardly used in daily possession limits in the future. From what I have seen of lakes under these rules, it helps the fishing a great deal.

As for the dude releasing other people's walleyes, how the heck were they doing that. I don't think anyone would condone that. Had that happened to me...oar to the face!

practice c&r if you like and toss out your opinion on sites like this but to confront someone on the water is just asking for trouble.
There are more options than to confront or not to confront!

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I cannot imagine a scenario where a perfect stranger confronting another angler on the water for keeping a legal catch is going to convert them into a CPR angler.

You either need to learn this from an early age or else reach that mindset on your own. Getting dressed down out on the water by a stranger is more likely to entrench your thinking in the other direction.

In this day and age everyone wants to live in their own little bubble and not be bothered by anyone else. But when you're either clammed up or shouting, nobody's listening. Venting on a site like this may be satisfying but it's little more than preaching to the choir.

Maybe it comes down to this: The best way to influence a stranger (In anything, not just C&R) is to first convert them from a stranger into a friend and then lead by example.

Maybe that's a little more than most people want to hear, especially us curmudgeonly river people!

While I personally would never NEVER even give keeping a large flat any second thought (or any trophy fish for that matter) there are sadly still those among us who would. Keeping a large fish, especially one that swims in our rivers not only is detrimental to the future stability of our fish populace, it is highly irresponsible from a consumer standpoint. Everyone is aware that the larger a fish is, the higher your risk of contaminants/mercury sickness. If you are truly fishing purely for food, chances are good that you are acting as a provider, and you're not the only one in your family consuming said fish. While I have absolutely no problem keeping a select number of smaller fish, would it be responsible of me to keep a large fish, and run the risk of making myself, but more importantly my family sick? Think about that one a bit ...

I've done a fair amount of work with the WI DNR on flathead regs on my home river. One thing they freely admit is that 99% of the states regs are just guesses. Unless a specific species has been studied in a specific waterway and specific regs were created...you cannot just assume that keeping every legal fish will not harm the fishery.

The DNR also admits that most changes to regs are reactionary, well after the damage has been done. In our case the investiagtion began in 1993 and the new flathead regulations went into affect in 2009. Think about that for a minute. And it will be at least another 10 years before they expect to see any results.

And even now, we have a 1 flathead bag limit with a 2 fish possession limit, setlines and bank pole rules were unchanged because of "tradition". So a guy goes and buys a setline license..then he buys one for his wife....his dad...his brother...his uncle and his mother. He runs 4 or 5 setlines with 25 hooks each and "checks" them everyday. He can keep 6 flatheads per day and if there are 7 on the hooks he can leave one there for tomorrow as long as he "checks" his lines he is completely within the law..even the new, stricter regulations.

Maybe it comes down to this: The best way to influence a stranger (In anything, not just C&R) is to first convert them from a stranger into a friend and then lead by example.

We have a Bingo

I am just gonna use my unicorn that shoots rainbows and smells like candy to change the hearts and minds of meat hunting meat heads.

Not saying it is a bad idea, just saying theory and practice are different ball games.

you need to go back and read the posts, the people that want to tell you what to keep and what not to are at least talking tough. jumping in someones boat and releasing their fish is not hostile? give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way things will change is if enough of the cat anglers keep pressure on the state law makers. With out the laws changing there is not much we can do other than try to educate people. Flatheads are starting to get more respect in this state, and hopefully we will see some new laws in the next few years

i know what the law is! i just want to know what people like you think so i don't have something in my livewell that you dont find acceptable. if you read my post carefully you would see that i am into c&r. but what i'm not into is telling you or anyone else what they want to throw into their frying pan as long as its legal, period. and unless you are wearing a badge you will never see whats in my livewell. practice c&r if you like and toss out your opinion on sites like this but to confront someone on the water is just asking for trouble.

ikatcher I really dont care what size fish you keep as long as it is leagle and as me telling you what you can or cant keep is the farthest thing from my mind.

sites like this don't help either. you may not want to hear this but when people are on here bragging about their catches the word does get out and i'd be willing to bet there are alot more lurkers then members. i never knew there were flats in this state if it were'nt for this site. you don't need to jump all over me its just my humble opinion.want to keep your honey hole to your self don't broadcast it over the internet. its really not that hard to figure out where these cats are comming from.

you need to go back and read the posts, the people that want to tell you what to keep and what not to are at least talking tough. jumping in someones boat and releasing their fish is not hostile? give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that response to me? If so, note the smiley emoticon. That normally implies sarcasm. If not, never mind.

I think some might be missing the point here that Elwood is trying to make. Seeing this fish in the bottom of the boat full of eggs is no different than seeing an 11lb “full of eggs” late April eye laying there.

We’ve found a way to protect the majority of other species during the spawn (sans perch and panfish). So why not another great gamefish?

Here’s the kicker though. The spawn is smack dab in the middle of summer. So it’s a very easy argument to say, “well if you really cared you would want no fishing at all during the spawn”. It’s hard to argue with that, however it is a unique time for that to happen. Most other species for the most part are on the same schedule so it works out fine to delay the start of the season. Not so for the cats.

My own opinion is that all species should be C&R only during and before the spawn (or at least a window of C&R since you can’t predict the exact dates). Let them do their thing and then maybe start taking a few home for the pan.

As far as eating that big fish. It’s totally legal to do that and I would never confront anyone about it, only suggest that it might be prudent to eat a smaller one instead. It only takes a few years to replace that 5lber. Try 20-30yrs for that 40lber.

I would just ask for those that have caught the fish of their life. Remember exactly how that felt and think about how much fun it would be to have future generations experience that (or even bigger and better).

Instead of thinking or saying, “remember how big those cats used to be” let’s change it to “wow, I can’t wait to see how big those cats are going to get”.

Fresh Alaskan salmon is mighty tasty wink

Halibut is even better.

I personally wish they didn't have a closed season for any fish *ducks egg and tomato* and if they did, ideally they would take the closed season now and turn it into a CPR only season. My guess is the DNR would say that would be too hard to enforce. There is a whole season that anglers miss out on because of the laws. I guess given a choice between completely open or completely closed, no CPR, I would elect to keep it the same and not take a chance.

It's a bummer when you read an article about seasonal patterns and 1/3 of the article is of no use to you because the season is closed. Oh sorry, we are talking cats here.

It's much more fun to discuss it here in a hypothetical and more or less anonymous environment, right?

It's more or less anonymous here but it isn't really hypothetical. With all the readers, both members and lurkers, of this forum hopefully a few learn something about selective harvest and realize the importance.

The dead set people that can't comprehend change in any manner might as well be forgotten. Just be glad that most of the people that are skilled enough to consistently boat 40lb flats, 12lb walleye, and 50" muskies are usually folks that understand and want to protect the fishery.

I think that 9 years it took on your WI river system could potentially be done here on the Miss, Croix and MN rivers in much less time now that the DNR has enlisted the help of us. I think they may take into account some margin of error in our self catching reports but it will be like doing the work of 100 DNR biologists. It worked on the Rainy river with the Sturgeon, it has helped with the sturgeon on the Croix and will definatly help with the cats in our local rivers.

An idea I was thinking of would be to design a secure webpage for the DNR to be able to post pics and all other nessesaries in one place so that we can see some progress in what is being reported rather than everyone sending thiers in at the end of the year.

MPLSPUG GET ON THIS!! MAYBE WE COULD EVEN USE A VERSION OF YOUR SITE!

Originally Posted By: BuckKiller
Ive keep cat fish in the 40 pound range and they tasted great, never thought twice about it either.

Did I read that correctly?

never thought twice about it either.

I thought so, and thats the problem.

never thought twice about it either.

Yep, and you would also be the first one psssing and moaning a few years down the road when you bring your grandson out and nobody is catching 40 pounders anymore.

No it's not against the law, its just against common sense. The law is usually a bare minimum in most cases and it takes educated and ethical sportsman to go above and beyond to do what we can to protect the great things we have so future generations can experience the same and in some cases even better. Hopefully you and others who eat 40 lb mercury mud cats for breakfast are learning a thing or two on forums like this and reflecting on those decisions. Most of us know that a couple small ones once and a while are better table options for dozens of obvious reasons.

I don't THINK most of the people who do this are educated sportsman. At least you are reading posts like this and thinking about it, so you still have a chance.

Just like in my boat in Alaska when I hear "well might as well keep that salmon, its gonna die anyway". YEAH, but its gotta get to the spawning grounds first! Which means throwing a few good genes back!

I know people have been sick and tired of this debate on fishing forums "law vs. common sense" but hopefully one more person each time reflects on it and changes his/her ways.

BuckKiller- next time you are that hungry for fish that you are thinking about keeping a 40 pound cat to eat-d Please send me a message and I'll drive over and give you a vacuum bag of appropriately sized panfish, walleye, pike w/out y-bones, salmon, whatever- you can take your pick.

I guess i ain't got enouf educashion two kep a fish

If im gonna eat it, ill keep it and there is nothing you or anyone else for that matter can do to stop me.

ill keep my catfish thank you very much, I can get my own panfish, walleyes and northers.

with all these "rules" people are making its getting harder and harder to keep a meal of fish. With the slots 90% of the fish have to be released, some will die anyhow. Plus the limits are so small people need the big ones just to get enough fish for supper.

40 pound catfish are a renewable resourse... im sure by the time I have kids there will still be big catfish. If not, oh well ill take him/her out for a musky, more fun anyway.

Weird frown... anybody else hear banjo music whistle ???

Uff Da... I'm OK now... that was the best laugh I've had all day.

Catch & Release must not work for you guys in Canada with all those 25-30lb Channel Cats you have up there. wink