• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Congrats elwood. First Minnesota bird down!

DonBo

Nice job elwood!

I was envious of all the hunters who got to be out on such a beautiful opening morning.

It was especially hard to see the the 3 strutters while on my way to work. It just didn't seem fair to have to go in on a day like that. cry

I got little extra time so heres my story on my bird.

I have to say that I wouldnt suggest this but this year work took off about the time I should be scouting. I never set foot in the woods this year looking for turkeys yep no scouting at all other than a few reports from the property owner that I hunted on and they were not that great. so here goes started out in the morning ariveing at the turkey woods in hope that they were in the area. I went to a spot that I had gotten one a few years back and made a couple of calls no answer. Went deeper in the woods and made a another call and heard a gobble about 200-300yards away. heart started racing. well I set up my decoy and sat down made a few more calls and waited 20 minnets and nothing at all no gobbles nothing so I picked up and went towards the gobble that I had heard earlier turns out it was around 300 yards of swamp that I had to cross still kind of frozen but there was some water also. Made it to the other side and just as I was going to take my last step out of the swamp to high ground a turkey let out a gobble so I rushed forward and set up quickly cause it only sounded like he was 70 yards away I made a soft cluck he answered and then he was right behind me 35-40 yards. turned my head to see him struting along. I dont think he seen me but I stayed as still as I could then softly clucked and purred he'd answer with a loud gobble thought he was gonna come around the back side but he didnt so I got up and circled around the ridge which he was on the bottom side of it then I sat down on this little flat on top of the ridge and made a call he answered wouldnt come up to see me so again I circled back around and came to a pinch point or narrows that I new he would have to go thru that was only about 30-35 yrds wide swamp on one side and me on the other. as I came to that spot I wasnt sure where he was so I let out a soft cluck and there he was right in front of me gobbled and looking right at me. he saw me as I thru up the trusty 870 and seen his head at the end of the bead and pulled the trigger and rolled him over. then the sigh of relief that I finnally got it right cutting one off. about five minutes later I heard a hen well thats why he was crusin the bottom of the ridge he was on a hot hen. and my callin wasnt quite enough but it let me know which way he was going. he wouldn't come to me so I went to him and he lost this time.

good job elwood. i love the stories and picks. i can't wait for my season to start!!!

here is my fiance's first ever turkey. it was shot on opening day the 15th, at 6:13 am. i had to tell her it doesn't always happen this way. she had 4 big toms come in right away and had the tough decision of which one to shoot. she chose wisely.

Picture4779.jpg

Picture4782.jpg