• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunglasses

champion198elite

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two pair of Oakleys, one is a Big Square Wire and the other is the Tangent, both in black irridium polarized. I use these because because of the large lens and close fit to my face. Both are very comfortable and keep almost all glare from reaching my eyes. Oh, I should mention that they are prescription lenses, purchased thru my optomitrist. My insurance covered my first pair but recently had a rule change and didn't pick up the second pair frown

i had a pair of Island Eyes... and i bragged about how they were the greatest pair of sunglasses i owned for how cheap they were.. and i sat on them that day and broke them...

now i have a pair of renegades that i "accidently put on my head and forgot to pay for at walmart"

but i just found the island eyes on [YouNeedAuthorization] and im gonna order another pair

I used to sell sunglasses for a well known outfitter most people don't evan take distortion into account when purchasing polarized lense.in fact not to bash Oakley but I have sold many a people out of oakley because of this .

Here is a little exercise you can do to check your glasses distortion

Hold you glasses out the length of your arms .

Sight through the lenses at a straight verticle edge (say a beam or external corner of a wall or pole).

Does the edge of the beam or corner/pole above your glasses line up with the edge in side the frame ? if so you have distortion free lenses if they don't align, things may not always appear where you think they are.

if money is not an issue Smith Optics amber photochromatic lenses

after launching two pairs out of the boat i will stick to moderatly priced glasses for now

It seems that the more I spend on sunglasses the shorter their life span. The last pair of spendy sunglasses I bought unknowingly fell out of my truck as I opened the door at the Holiday gas station and I proceeded to step on them as I climbed out. mad I ended up picking up a pair of $10 cheapos while I was there and I think that was over 4 years ago now....figures... crazy

Here is a little exercise you can do to check your glasses distortion

Hold you glasses out the length of your arms .

Sight through the lenses at a straight verticle edge (say a beam or external corner of a wall or pole).

Does the edge of the beam or corner/pole above your glasses line up with the edge in side the frame ? if so you have distortion free lenses if they don't align, things may not always appear where you think they are.

Is the distortion the same no matter what distance your eye is from the lens? I agree there would still be some distortion, but wouldn't it be considerably less the closer the lens is to your eye?

I suppose you have a point , but why do some glasses distort at arms length when others won't if your glasses don't distort at a distance it is likley only going to be less closer to your eye. Ironicly (sp?) it was an Oakley rep. that showed me this when comparing lenses with Oakley, Bolle',Costa, Smith,Maui Jim , Ect. I personaly found Oakley the worst for this. I guess you could make the case that most glasses it is un-noticeable up close it is mearly an excersise for you to see it! and I would never pick a set of glasses based on this one basis but rather fit,color,polarization & budget