• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

just got a new boat- need help- ideas

jwmiller33

I would try running it all off one battery to start with, but be aware that you may see / pickup some interference from the trolling motor (when it's running) on your locator. If it becomes too big of a problem you may need to add another battery.marine_man
how/why does this happen? is it a common thing to happen when you have a trolling motor and depth finder running off same battery?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More often than not you will have problems when your tranducer is connected to the head of the trolling motor. Interference can be avoided by putting a piece of innertube between the transducer and the trolling motor (tip i got from this HSOforum). If you still have problems ground your trolling motor a little better and you sonar.

Something I didn't notice mentioned on the list of things to add are Splash Guards. My first boat was a Lund S-16, and you will definitely want some splash guards to keep you dry on windy days. Find 2 used Semi Trailer mud flaps, cut one side of each to fit each side of your outboard, and a slit for your transom mount troller.

Man, this is a fun post!

Nothing like a cool project like this to get excited about. New boats are sweet, but taking a older rig and reworking it into what you want is often times even sweeter IMO. Your boat will be a great project that will increase in value and give you much satisfaction.

This boat was on my list for many years. I ended up going a different way, but have often had thoughts that I should have done what you are doing.

If it were my rig, I would defiantly add the casting/storage up front. Dan's rig is exactly what I had in mind! (great job Dan!) Also moving the battery from the rear is the way to go. Any weight you can move from the rear will help you get on plane quicker when you are alone.

Take your time and do a good job. Don't worry about getting everything this year if you can't afford it. A guy always needs a reason to "shop" smile

Enjoy your project and shoot us some pics as you get it going.

Man, this is a fun post!

Nothing like a cool project like this to get excited about. New boats are sweet, but taking a older rig and reworking it into what you want is often times even sweeter IMO. Your boat will be a great project that will increase in value and give you much satisfaction.

This boat was on my list for many years. I ended up going a different way, but have often had thoughts that I should have done what you are doing.

If it were my rig, I would defiantly add the casting/storage up front. Dan's rig is exactly what I had in mind! (great job Dan!) Also moving the battery from the rear is the way to go. Any weight you can move from the rear will help you get on plane quicker when you are alone.

Take your time and do a good job. Don't worry about getting everything this year if you can't afford it. A guy always needs a reason to "shop" smile

Enjoy your project and shoot us some pics as you get it going.

hey thanks man! i really appreciate your advice.. you definitly made me think about a couple of things. I definitly need to get that battery out of the back BUT how am I going to hook the trolling motor up to the battery if it is way up in the front???? [trolling motor is transom mount BTW]...

I definitly do need to take my time and do a good job. I have been planning this boat out with drawings and mental images for the past month and a half, and I have so many ideas going thru my head all the time. I am finally deciding what I am doing for sure to modify it. The middle 1/2 benches are coming out, for sure. I am adding the platform in the front with the 2 storage compartments. I WOULD LIKE TO have my gas tank be in that front compartment, do you guys think I could find a gas chord long enough to do that?

If I had my trolling motor and gas tank running from the very front to the very back of the boat, that would be IDEAL for weight distribution, BUT I dont know if I could find a long enough gas chord and a chord for the trolling motor. I was at Cabelas yesterday and the longest they had was like 60 inches and it was pretty expensive mind you... I would probably need one to be close to 20 feet cuz i would need to do some weaving to put it in the floor and stuff..

Does anybody know if putting the gas tank and battery up front work for my boat? I have a transom mount and a 6 gallon gas tank... I was thinking about getting two 3 gallon tanks and putting one in each compartment.. What do you guys think about that?>

JW, I'd think twice on moving the gas...I'm sure it can be done, but running gas lines, making connections, etc..I donno. I don't think you need it really. That boat is designed to have the tank in back, you don't have an overly heavy motor, I think you'll be doing fine if you get the battery up there.

gas tank in the back...if you have a leak up front it goes out (hopefully for your sake) the plug area and that is in the back...the gas would have to travel the lenght of the boat and stink up everything in between....

youngster? haha come on i'm not that young am i?

i appreciate everyone's advice for this project of mine. i feel like i have a really good base of a boat to start with, and if i do everything the right way and thinking it all the way thru before i do it, i will end up with a pretty sweet boat...

i cant wait for all you guys to see the before and after pictures and let me know what you think!

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I would pass on moving the gas. The spot under the back bench is perfect for a 6 gallon tank, and its out of the way. By adding the battery to the front you will gain the weight you want.

Agreed.

Not sure about that wiring issue for your trolling motor. I know there has to be a way to do it. Keep asking.

Actually, you might ask that specific question on the "Equipment-Expert Information" or "Boats & Motors"

Take one question at a time so not to overwhelm your audience and you should get some more good info.

Hey JW, I've got the exact same boat! I won't take credit for all of the modifications. Essentially I have a casting platform in the front covering the first 2 seats, it's big and is where i spend most of my time I have a 36lb thrust bow mount. You may not have $ for this now but do yourself a favor and do it when you can. I keep a separate battery for that motor mounted on the floor next to the platform.

I also have a rear casting platform it has a mount for a bass seat that I use when I have company fishing with me (otherwise I don't put it in the boat). I also have a seat that is flush with the rear platform for sitting in while I drive the outboard (Honda 4stroke 30hp). I have the 2 middle storage compartments if I had my wish I'd take one of them out.

Its a great set-up not great in the wind but typically I'm very happy. Oh yeah I'd wait to buy the rod holders...take a trip or 2 and see if you find yourself wishing you had them, a lot of times they end up being extra boat stuff you don't need. And leave the gass in the back...recipe for disaster! Good luck post pics!

JW

My boat is in the garage, judging from the pile of snow in front of it I don't think it'll be out for a few weeks. Onfortunately the ceiling is a bit low to get any real pics. But if nothing else know that it can be done. If you do try the 2 casting decks I'd really encourage you to pop out one of the center storage/seat compartments it makes it hard to make your way from the fron to back off the boat.

If the snow ever melts I'll get some pics.

I notice you dont have a seat way up front my son and his buddy put a bow mount trolling motor and a casting deck for muskie bass and northern pike fishing. Just another idea for you to think about.

"The middle 1/2 benches are coming out, for sure." Might want to rethink that. I thought they were in there for support/stability, not just shin knockers. blush Also they might be used for storage.