• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eelpout Fishing?

OnAFly

So my work has decided to cut hours beginning the week of FEB 23 so I'll have a day every week to get out. How long does the pout bite last? Anyone have any suggestions for any lakes that have good pout catching possibilities other than Leech and LOW?

That's pretty much why I want to catch one. Any fish that puts up a heck of a fight and tastes better than a walleye sounds like a good fish to me! I might have to take a trip up to Leech sometime soon here.

When I was in College(Go Beavers).. My buds and I would head out to Pout spawning areas.. Tie up a Northland Airplane jig, and put as many minnows on it as we possibly could. Then, just bang the thing into the bottom as much as we could. It was a blast, and I disagree with the above poster, they do put up a fight..

On a side note, we kept quite a few and would cook them up in the dorms.. it was a blast, and very good eating when cooked right.

Catching a pout is like going to a restaurant and not getting what you ordered. You get all excited because you're gonna get something good, and then the wrong thing shows up and it's a huge letdown. I personally refuse to target a fish that tangles with every line within 50 yards and curls up at the bottom of the hole so you can't get it up.

To all who feel the need to comment negatively towards this fellows post: find a different HSOforum to post your thoughts on. End of story. This is a HSOforum that people who love to fish for WHATEVER they love to fish for can use. If a guy asks a group outside of a restaurant if the liver and onions is any good, he's not looking for someone to pipe up and say they would never order liver and onions because it smells bad and it gives them gas. I am sure this guy could care less why someone would never fish for eelpout, think about it before you post things of this nature. Now, I have heard the pout fishing is really good on Winnie, as far as other lakes I haven't heard. Also I have been told by people in the know that very bright glowing jigging spoons and airplane jigs are the ticket, tipped with crushed minnows(for scent). Good luck man, I am going tomorrow night for the first time myself!

THE PRODIGY.

POUT rule!!! Glad many of you poor souls don't like them, keep them out for the rest of us! Besides LOW, Mille Lacs on the perch grounds seems to attract them. Just make a lot of noise on the bottom with a minnow and a spoon and hope!