• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How would of you handled this?

MnShooter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although hindsight is always 20/20, I'm not judging you for your decision. The world is full of careless, reckless, and inconsiderate people. There are also Angels among us.

This is an excellent topic though. It's important for everyone to remember the "Golden Rule". It's Biblical. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourselves. And if your slighted, simply turn the other cheek.

I would have given him anything he needed, and helped him catch fish. Even if he was down and out, or just plain foolish, it was a perfect opportunity to help him, and teach him, and even to minister to him if needed.

That's what everyone should do. That's what the Lord expects us to do.

as it is a water source, I am guessing that you had a hand auger, not power. It would be one thing to ask to use the auger, but a different thing to expect some one to hand drill holes and then ask to use them!

who would want to drink water from where the fish have been doing their thing. grin

I think if the guy had any tact at all, maybe when he had his truck out there he would have explained that he did'nt have an auger, and if he walked back out would you drill him a hole. He maybe would have saved himself a trip.

I probably would have drilled him a couple holes anyway, because I have trouble saying NO. Couple weeks ago on Red Lake a guy knocks on the door of my hardhouse and asks if he can borrow my chisel, cuz he got his auger stuck in the ice. I really don't like to loan things out, but I said OK. He brought it back later and said thanks, I did'nt want to look like a moron by checking it out so I did'nt. Next day I took the cover off of my new Mille Lacs chisel and looked, and all but one of the teeth was all bunged up like he hit the auger blade many times. mad

Similar thing happened to me last weekend. Kid comes out with his mom and some other old lady. Asks to have me cut some ice for him. For a split second I thought..the nerve. With a slight scowl, I cut his holes, a couple of extra and started to walk away. He quickly caught up and tried to give me 5 bucks. This kid appeared to be handing me his last 5 bucks for the week. I said no, there was no problem and he didn't owe me anything. I went about 100 yds from him and had one of the best fishing days through the ice. I believe in karma...big time.

Pay it forward.

You call youself a sportsman wow? Dont get me wrong I dont know you. IF people would of never helped me when fishing or hunting where would I be. I have no idea. I love these sports cause of the great people I meet and have met!!! I think you are wrong for assumeing he wanted more then a hole. I am sure people have helped you before. Do you hunt private land that is owned by someone else. If so that is some one helping that does not have to. Have you ever been stuck on the ice and some one helps you. They dont have to do they. I hope next time you need something while doing what you think you love someone just lets you be by yourself helpless. Its called karma.

soo...shooter, you happy with the results u got back from ur post. nope, dident think so. I would find it funny if you expected us to say how we agree with what you did. just remember that you might be that guy whoose auger breaks down and needs someones help...

No it was interesting to see what others thought. If many were there and went through what we did to get on the ice, to find this spot, how many times we had been skunked on that lake, probably would of said whatever to him. Up here there are alot of fair weather fisherman or hunters that mooch of others, and thats what this was.

Whoever asked if i was a true sportsman, this one time outta how many that i have helped others out in the field, or lake. How many times at banquets where i give away any decoys, (2 dozen hot buys last year) to some kid who won nothing or neither does his parents. OR the calls that were found last week at SDSU (worth a couple hundred at least) that i have been trying to track the owner down. Heck some of the calls are better than mine.

Or the times when i am out duck or pheasant hunting and some guy happens to stop buy and see how i am doing, i offer to take him around to some of my hot spots. Like i said this situation yeah i felt bad later, but i look at is this day in age YOU can't expect nothing for free.......and lately its been oooh economy this economy that, some people need to get off their butt and work for it. I do! Sorry the sportsman post struck a nerve.

Like i said thanks for the posts