• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tecumseh done as of Dec 9th????

52#FLATHEAD

While I've also heard good things about the strike lite, this may be the year to buy if you're on the edge. The Lazer Mag Express is one heck of an auger! I've had mine for several years now and it's never let me down.

The one thing I don't like about the 4 strokes is that because they have oil reservoir they're sensitive to possition. They have to be laid down with the plug up. Maybe that's a small thing, but if not, it can fill the cylinder with oil. I'm sure people have ended up with a small amount of oil in their sled from this.

Originally Posted By: 52#FLATHEAD
I really would like a Lazer Mag Express but have a hard time justifying $410 for it.

You can buy a reconditioned Lazer Mag Express for ~$315. Don't let "reconditioned" cause any uneasiness. That's all I use.

I can echo that...I purchased a reconditioned MAG2000 2 years ago and haven't had any issues with it. Got it for $200, can't go wrong with that!

My next auger will be an electric, even if gas is still available.

I have been thinking about getting a new auger. I am curious why you would choose the electric over gas? I am asking because as of right now I am open to anything and would like to hear what other people are considering in their decisions on which auger they would get. I have read a decent amount from other people on Nils, Strike Lite, Lazer Mag, Stealth, etc. I haven't heard much about electric augers so you caught my attention with your post.

I always thought if I were to build a permanent house that I would get an electric. If all you drill is the holes for the house, it would be the way to go. No fumes, no noise, no dealing with gas, and it always starts. Now strikemaster has one with a battery, so you could even pop a few holes for tip ups too. I was talking with the old guy, Marv, that made the first Jiffy augers (he may still own the company?) and he uses their electric exclusively in his ice house. I think he exclusively fishes out of a permenant and he couldn't say anything bad about it. I guess it takes an extra 5 seconds to drill a hole, but who's counting when your not in a rush.

I still run the gas auger, but I only use portable shelters, so I run and gun too much for electric. I have been thinking about getting a rebuilt strikelite powerhead instead. I just worked over the drill on my lazer express, and don't really like the cheesy plastic flighting on the strikelite drill.

The old tech on my lazer express still runs like a champ. I throw some seafoam in it and run it dry in the spring and it always fires up. Its too bad they aren't going to make those motors anymore. I have always been pretty happy with mine.

I have picked up on some very interesting developments in the works for the future of on ice power augers. You will possibly see Robin engines on the bulk of ice augers, and maybe even more Husqvarna power heads on ice augers in the future, with even more 4-stroker's popping up.

I view it as a big upgrade in the thinking of the future of modern ice augers, and the lighter the better is what I say.

New clean electric options too, like the Ice Gator. Forward thinking companies with new materials that will preform better, offer more convenience, and operate far more "Green".

Change is good....let's see where they take us.

At first yes, after time it may become more of a challenge. There are a lot of engines out there, so spare parts should not be an issue for some time yet.

I do not expect ice auger manufactures to replace a bad unit under warrenty with another old Tecumseh head unit..they will go with the "New" updated version. At least that is my hunch on that since they are discontinued stocks.

I have picked up on some very interesting developments in the works for the future of on ice power augers. You will possibly see Robin engines on the bulk of ice augers, and maybe even more Husqvarna power heads on ice augers in the future, with even more 4-stroker's popping up.

I view it as a big upgrade in the thinking of the future of modern ice augers, and the lighter the better is what I say.

New clean electric options too, like the Ice Gator. Forward thinking companies with new materials that will preform better, offer more convenience, and operate far more "Green".

Change is good....let's see where they take us.

You sound like Obama now.

CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!