• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum VX-1 (new style) / Hummingbird 35 / VexilarFL12

dodger31

Looks like these three are about the same price within $50 or so.

Let's hear the pros and cons from the owners. I am looking for the best unit out there for the money.

My main problem in the past has been interference from other units. Thanks for your help in advance!

Dodger

I had the previous VX-1 and thought it was a very good unit. If you want zoom, skip the FL-12. Both the VX-1 and Hummingbird have zoom.

Overall, I would go with the VX-1. You won't be disappointed. I do with it had that flat screen like the FL-12.

I have the k-35 and am not extremely impressed with it. It makes a strange humming sound (ironic) that drove me nuts!

I am returning it tonight and am currently struggling with what I will switch to. I am considering giving hummingbird another try by upgrading to k-45 (because of added power and the case rebate), or a different brand...

Target seperation

MarCum VX-1P - 2.25" (The Auto Tune feature is worth it) Soft pack and takes a beating

Humminbird 35 - 2.5" (standard dual beam)

Vexilar - 2.65" (Dual Beam will run you and extra $75 for that unless you can get something off the standard 12 deg.)

There all selling well and my Gander just has birds left, sold out of MarCum's and Vexes already. smile

I bought the regular VX-1 a few weeks ago and really like it. The ICE 35 has some really nice features, but after the issues I had with a 45 I decided to go with something tried and true. After they get any bugs worked out, I'm sure the Humminbirds will be really popular. I considered an 8 or 12 Vex, but I felt that I would kick myself for not getting a unit with zoom. I think I made the right choice, the zoom feature is really nice to have, and the screen on the MarCum is clear and easy to read.

I have the LX-5 and the bottom zoom is great. It's like watching HDTV, once you've seen it you can't live without it. I like the Super Fine Line resolution on the Marcum too, it has a much crisper look, so it doesn't feel like you've been drinking all day (even if you have been :))

I had the same problem about buying a new $300 flasher. I didn't look at the Vexilar because the Marcum and the Humminbird had so many more features for the money. I ended up with Humminbird ICE35 mainly because of the dual band transducer. I am a little worried about new products, but Humminbird has been around for a very long time.

I am a die hard Humminbird guy during open water. With that said I currently own a new LX-5 by Marcum for ice time. I love every feature this unit has, but the new ICE-55 from Humminbird has me turning my head whistle.

I believe Humminbird’s new ICE units are going to be a force to be wreak-in with. I might make a switch some time in the future, but for now my LX-5 does a fabulous job helping me find fish.

It would be hard to switch, but for now the Marcum is my unit I would recommend wink.

Good luck!