• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IFallsRon

I like the Punto signing. As for 3rd base the Twins will do what they usually do. Wait for the top free agents to sign somewhere else and pick up a has-been, half cripple who wants one more year before retiring and then release him half way through the season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twins most likely wouldn't make a trade at the deadline if they didn't do it this past year. Deadline trades mean one thing. Over-paying for a needed player. The team that holds the piece we need holds all the cards. And then they can demand one of our pitchers or top pitching prospects. It most likely won't happen. Why can't the Twins just sign a decent, 2nd tier player in the offseason? It just doesn't make sense.

I like Buscher, but the team has too many guys with a decent swing & minimal pop. If you keep Punto in the lineup, Buscher can't be there too.

Punto's a great utility player. He's mediocre as an everyday player.

Count me as among those who think Mr. Smith has not made any real smooth moves during his one-year tenure.

There is a lot more to baseball than STILL being mad at Punto for not hitting .284 2 years ago guys....LOL.

He's an awesome fielder, everybody in the clubhouse likes him for obvious reasons with flat out HUSTLE being one of them.

It's a huge signing for both need and team chemistry.

He's not Derek Jeter but he'll do just fine batting 8th or 9th guys.

PB, I see according to this forum it looks like about 50/50 with the Punto bit. I'm not a fan of Punto being an everyday player. Not a fan for a couple reasons, his headfirst slide [PoorWordUsage] and I think the only reason he is on this team is because he is one of Gardy's bobo's. Is/would he be a good utility player, absolutely. I think his 210 average 2 years ago is more of a reality than last years 280. I respect your Twins play hard/defense/pitching get the right players to play the "twins way" but this team is only and have been only 1 or 2 players away for many years and we just don't bring them into our little community because of our cheap [PoorWordUsage] owner.

I like Buscher, but the team has too many guys with a decent swing & minimal pop. If you keep Punto in the lineup, Buscher can't be there too.

Punto's a great utility player. He's mediocre as an everyday player.

Count me as among those who think Mr. Smith has not made any real smooth moves during his one-year tenure.

Agree on this. A bottom three batting order of Buscher, Punto, and Gomez isn't going to send shivers down the spines of too many opposing teams when they get to that part of the lineup. Punto's career batting average is .252 so I'd expect it to be close to that, especially if he's an every day player.

I know I probably sound like a broken record but this batting lineup does not look very strong at all. You've just got to have more than one batter in the lineup that puts a little fear in the other team. Unless the other teams fear giving up a sacrifice bunt, a walk, or a single, there's nobody in this lineup other than Morneau that can create much fear. If this is the lineup to expect this upcoming season, it could be a longer, less exciting summer than last year unless the pitching is extremely dominant and the RISP % is ridiculously high like last year.

it was a great signing for the twins, punto brings solid defense and a player that plays harder than anyone I have ever watched play. he sets a very good player ethic to the young players.

if the twins cannot sign a superstar player at third base, they better stay with buscher. we don't need another mike lamb.

Why would you give up kubel before cuddy. I really don't like how injury prone cuddy is and kubel hit 20 homeruns last year, showing glimpses of why he was a top 5 prospect in baseball before he blew out his knee. i would much rather see them them trade cuddy than kubel or young.

The Twins need a right handed power hitting third baseman!

Punto seems to be good with the bat on even numbered years (this year he should bat around .200 again). His defense is great, but he does get banged up by his hustling (head first slides).

Buscher can hit the ball (he has proven that on his rise through the minors). His defense is average (or below average). He bats left handed. Twins need another right handed bat with pop.

IMO...it looks like the Twins lack of urgency to sign a Free agent RH 3rd baseman and the crowded outfield might mean Cuddy is head back to third (even thou Gardy and GM Smith say he is not). Which might not be so bad if he can stay healthy.

I'm not a Punto lover, but at that price you have as good a defensive player as you can get @ 3B, SS, 2B.

He will probably hit 8th in front of Gomez, so we aren't adding a bunch of offense.

All this heat on Bill Smith already?? I think folks need to realize Pohlad keeps a pretty short leash on the $$$ so we can't just buy whoever we want(Yankees). The Garza/Young deal is only 1 year in.... give it time. I suppose it is his fault we got rid of Lohse too.....like he did a lot for the Twins when his was here. Some guys just need some new scenery.

In my opinion, we definitely NEED to add a 20 Homer guy at 3B and an established set up man...... but who doesn't need bullpen help.

This is the Twins... we shouldn't be surprised they haven't landed a big name.

All this heat on Bill Smith already?? I think folks need to realize Pohlad keeps a pretty short leash on the $$$ so we can't just buy whoever we want(Yankees). The Garza/Young deal is only 1 year in.... give it time. I suppose it is his fault we got rid of Lohse too.....like he did a lot for the Twins when his was here. Some guys just need some new scenery.

You forgot how the Mets stole Santana from us. There is no way we received even equal value for Santana.

Re: Lohse

He needed to be kicked to the curb. He seemed to have good stuff, but still couldn't pitch.

I haven't been real excited with recent transactions but think on the Santana deal, we probably got about as good a deal as we were going to get considering if we didn't trade him, he was going to be gone via free agency anyhow.