Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmeyer

Six Shooter

20 posts in this topic

Since my Dad is the MN state champion in the Dueling division of S.A.S.S (Single Action Shooting Society) I wanted to do something nice for him for his birthday. I decided to photograph his six shooters. The technique I used is called light painting which, for those that aren't familiar, is a process of shooting in the dark with a longer shutter speed and "painting" the subject with a light source. I used a flash light because I like the "old" feel that I got with the warmer light. In the first image I also flashed it with a strobe with a blue gel over it. Please let me know what you think. This is supposed to be a special gift so I want to make sure I got it right.

Thanks

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=151.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=152.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=153.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=154.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=155.jpg

Very nice indeed. I like the second one also. The forth one is very nice also and has a great story with the wood.

What a nice gift for a six shooting kind of guy. I too like the second one. But I want to thank you for the tutorial. I like to play with odd lighting and was happy to know that it has a name and a place in the world of photog. For that reason, I really like the first one, though ammunition is probably the furthest thing from any of my interests. However, it really shows off your light painting.

I like the last one. They are all really nice however. You may already be planning this...but doing a multi picture in one frame type mounting would be really cool with these. Probably center the one with the awards and surround it with the others type of thing?? Just an idea...not trying to spill sewage in your creative juice!!

Mike I like #2 and #4. Great idea and I like Yeti's idea as well. I've done that for a few folks and I think it works out great.

Mike, all sweet, but that second-to-last image is absolutely just right in my book.

I've also framed some series' like Yeti suggests. Since we cut our own mats it's a more simple process for us than for someone who has to hire it done, but the effect is very cool.

I like the second and the last one. What would it look like to do the last one, but focus more in the trigger area?

I too like the second one and the last one.

I think some "show peice" rounds in the cylider would add to the last one a bit too. But they can get spendy. Them little silver slugs peaking out... cool

I think your dad will really like them!!!

I think your Dad will enjoy all of them. Very classy photos very well done!

Thanks a lot everyone! I'm real happy with the way these turned out. I think my Dad will enjoy them. I was planning on doing a 3 print set with individual frames since I can get those quite a bit cheaper than a custom job, which would blow my budget. I'm now having trouble deciding which 3. I like 1,2,4 and 5 but #2 is orientated the wrong way compared to the other 3 so I'm not sure how that will work out. I'll have to decide I guess.

Thanks again

Mike

Mike, however you proceed, I've found an excellent line of inexpensive frames at WalMart and Target. They are hardwood in both black painted and cherry stained. I really like what the cherry stained frames would do with the warm wood tones in your images. They come with glass and a white mat, so nothing else is needed. I don't remember prices per se, but Canopy is the brand at Target. The Walmart ones are so close they might even be made by the same company. The frames are tight, elegantly designed and of very good quality. I slightly prefer the Target frames over the Walmart ones.

Check them out. I think the Canopy 11x14 frames with 8x10 mat were around $14, that's better quality at a better price than I've ever found at D-i-c-k Blick Art Supply for hardwood frames, which is where I had been doing all my frame ordering, and by buying them off the shelf instead of having them shipped, you can control which ones you get.

On average, 15-20 percent of Blick frames/matboards come scarred and unusable, not to mention their hardwood gallery frames contain plexi instead of glass and no mat.

Between the quality control issues at Blick and the price differences, it's now feasible for us to make the drive from Ely to Virginia to pick up a half dozen of these frames at a time rather than ordering from Blick.

As for avoiding #2 because it's a vertical rather than a horizontal, when grouping images in a framed series don't be afraid to think out of the box. Lots of ways to skin a cat. smile

Hey, thanks for the help Steve. I agree, the Cherry would look very nice with the warm tones. I'm a big fan of cherry as is my dad so I'll be checking those out! And I'll be looking at a way to group the series also.

Thanks again

I like 2 and 4 as well. You could also check out micheals and home goods. I have bought framed pictures and then kept the mat and the frame and used them for my photos. Home Goods is a branch of TJ Max. Good luck, I'm sure all of them will turn out very well.

Fantasticphotos! Thanks for the light painting tip. Something for us to try for ourselves. My favorites are 1, 2, and 5. I guess I like how the images draw my eyes to an angular viewpoint. However, I feel 4 to be an important photo showcasing the plaques.

Tough choice to decide.