Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcatcreek

ID

23 posts in this topic

I know this is some kind of Catfish. I just can't tell if it's a Channel, or a Bullhead. What do you guys think? Sorry the picture isn't that great.HPIM0650.jpg

How do you tell the difference between the two. I thought this one looked strange because of how short he was.

Quote:
How do you tell the difference between the two. I thought this one looked strange because of how short he was.

Forked tail fin = channel cat & blue cats

Squared tail fin = bullheads & flathead cats

I say thats a big bullhead. That would be a pretty big mouth for a channel that size. Channel cats upper jawbone protrudes out further than the lower jaw too.

Hmmm I suppose it could be a bullhead, but from my experience and judgment I would guess Channel.

The little Channels I catch that size are usually spotted though, like this one:

P1010034.jpg

Sure looks like a Bullhead to me. It's not a Channel. Might be a small flathead.

Its definitley not a channel cat.

Possibly a small flathead cat however. It has the wedge shaped head, coloration is right, underbite lower jaw, can't see the tail shape.

yep, and not only that, when a Bullhead gets that big they get BUTT UGLY (even more so than normal)like freakish looking.

Hmmm I suppose it could be a bullhead, but from my experience and judgment I would guess Channel.

The little Channels I catch that size are usually spotted though, like this one:

P1010034.jpg

Hmmm...That spot looks familiar

"I lost my ID in a flood!" grin

HPIM0650.jpg

Bullhead:

483.jpg

Flathead:

3287.jpg

I guess I would say Flathead!

I'm leaning toward bullhead. The adipose fin on flathead is not attached the full distance, it's more like a true earlobe.

The caudal fin? (rear bottom) has more rays on a bullhead and is longer.

I think the lateral line on a flatty is never as pronounced either.

I would love to see the tail, find out where and when it was caught.

I wouldn't put any money on my guess, because it's a guess at best. Hans

Looks like a bullhead, brown I think. The easiest way for me to tell them is they make weird noises almost every time you catch one.