Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dbl

Weekend Fog

23 posts in this topic

A few from my weekend fishing trip. Fog was really thick on Sunday morning, thank goodness for GPS with mapping capability! These shots were just before it got real thick.

#1 50D, ISO 100, f4.5, 1/400s, manual exposure, 17-40 lens.

409039030_ZEDQS-L.jpg

#2 Same settings as above.

409038923_izGmj-L.jpg

#3 50D, ISO100, f5.0, 1/640s, manual.

409099187_QqwZV-L.jpg

Love the first one. The lake looks like glass. It is a very peaceful looking scene with the rowboat and dock.

Thanks guys very kind of you to comment. I am wondering on that first shot if a more vertical shot might be better? Any thoughts?

409215407_bGtta-XL.jpg

Dan, I like the vertical one better than the horizontal one. Flows nicely with the direction of the dock and the tree hanging in from above.

I'm not sure which one I'd go with. The first one looks much more spacious. Whichever, I love them both.

The only thing I noticed Dan is that the vertical one is about 2 degrees off of level or so. Ever since I started seeing that in some of my older photos I have been working to perfect it, and I know you are a perfectionist. Nothing a quick tweek in PS can't handle though. Did you take your left shoe off for that pic? wink

It could be a little trickery with the image though.

Great stuff Dan. I like the vertical shot the best. It's really nice.

I like the first shot best. I like the space on the left and how it all flows into the sun.

Hey no problem Tom and you are correct about being a perfectionist. I think your eyes might be fooled somewhat though. I looked at that myself and the fog bank on the distant shore appears to be throwing things off. The end of the dock is level which I know is also level with the lake.

Of course shooting sports the first thing I check for are horizontals and verticals. I always find it more accurate to use verticals to make sure everything is straight. This one really has no verticals to check for square so I was stuck with a fog bank and dock.

Sometimes I will change a shot even though its level because your eye tells you something is not right. In this case if I rotate it to make the shore look level your eye will go right to that dock and that will look tilted. So I guess its a toss up and in this one I decided to stay with the dock and let the fog do its thing, though that may be the wrong thing.

Thanks to all for the comments.

I kinda figured the dock was the basis for level, and after looking at it again I can see what you are saying. I just wish I could get out and find light like that some day. Nothing short of amazing, no matter what way you look at it.

Again thanks for pointing it out Tom, I sure has heck don't get it right all that often so its easy to miss things. I think it raises some good points as well on different aspects of a photo and what works and doesn't work.

Feel free to point something out anytime Tom or others reading as well, I'm a big dude who can handle C&C. Can't think of a better way to improve!

All very nice. I think I like the horizontal version of the first one better. Might have looked cool if you could get all those elements in a panoramic.

Very nice and peaceful shots, I think I would favor the vertical

crop myself.