Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmeyer

Going for a spin

19 posts in this topic

I recently enrolled in a photography course through New York Institute of Photography. So far, I must say it's a pretty good program although I just started it. Anyway, one of my first assignments is to use shutter speed to show motion. Here's the image I made for the assignment. Please feel free to critique as you feel necessary as I want to turn in my best work.

ISO100 f25 .6 shutter speed

104356495.jpg

Wow! I kind of get dizzy looking at it. Very well done! Looks like the f/25 brought out some sensor dust, but I am sure you'll have no problem fixing that. The photo gives a feeling that the merry go round was really spinning fast.

I like the shot alot Mike, has a lot going for it.

What everyone else said, Mike. Plus, good job keeping the kids sharp. At a shutter speed of .6 sec, that's a challenge. Good luck with the course. Looks like you are having fun already. smile

Thanks Guys. When I had the vision of this shot in my head I was picturing the kids screaming and holding on for dear life making it more dramatic but as you can see, there were anything but dramatic! sleep

Thanks again

Mike, I think the comp works at that shutter speed. If the kids had been screaming and adding drama, likely at .6 sec they'd have been very soft or even blurred themselves.

I think, using the tutorial Dan did on flash, it would be possible at your settings to have them doing the screaming and give them a little bump of flash, something low-powered that would only pop them lightly and not illuminate the background, and that might freeze them if they are in motion.

Not sure how to go about that with Nikon body/flash, but I assume they have the same capabilities as the Canon stuff we're using.

Another way to introduce drama in the poses without having the kids moving would be to reverse them so they are more or less laying on their backs with their legs through the bars and sticking out from the merry-go-round with their heads tilted back toward the camera, which would put their faces about as close to the camera as they are now. And with bodies braced in the bars that way, they may be able to throw their arms out toward the camera and the sides of the frame as well.

Just some thoughts.

I really like it. I get dizzy really easily, and this makes me dizzy looking at it. Power of suggestion, maybe? smile

Nice pic. You definatly can feel it spinning when looking at it!

Did you try a slightly faster shutter speed? Not show as much blur but still show motion? Expanding on Steve's thoughts on flash how about a 2nd curtain sync? Gel the flash, play with White Balance. Might be cool. While spinning how about zooming as well? How about a ladder next to the Merry Go round shooting down at the kids shot wide. Rotate it slow enough that you can get the face and upper body sharp. They would have to keep looking at you as long as they can.

The thing about an exercise like this is to get outside your comfort zone and expand on things you may have read about but actually not tried.

Please don't take this wrong Mike but this is the relatively safe option. I love the image but a slow shutter speed on a merry go round is the easy way to shoot this. Its been done, often. Do something that shows motion but in a slightly different way.

Again I hope you don't take this wrong, your image stands on its own but in a course like this you want your image to stand out from everyone else's. You certainly have the skills and talent to do just that.

Dan and Steve, thanks for the ideas. Dan, I accept your challenge. grin I never thought of it the way you put it but you are right. I am going to try to find a new way to add some drama to it and make it more unique.

In this program you can get a certificate of merit if your photos stand above the rest so I really want to make the best image possible.

Thanks again

I have no doubt you will earn that certificate of merit! Good luck with this photo, again I know you will come up with something great!

We're also going to expect to see a photo of the certificate too.

wink You definitely have the imagination and eye.

Nice shot, Mike! And what a discussion - it's got my head goin' on some possibilities!

Its almost done to well, I think if the merry go round was moving slower you could see more blurr of the background, its so uniformed as it currently looks. and I like the fact that the kids are calm and infocus with all the crazyness in the background, kind've ironic. But I also like the suggestions of haiving them in different positions.

Well done!