Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cyberfish

silver pike?

22 posts in this topic

yeah, its a rare pike that is really just a northern that happens under certain conditions. Its not a subspecies but a mutation. I've caught quite a few at a small lake I fish a lot on.

yeah, its a rare pike that is really just a northern that happens under certain conditions. Its not a subspecies but a mutation. I've caught quite a few at a small lake I fish a lot on.

Yeah, that is what I thought. thanks

MT

blue pike is actually what many Canadians refer to walleye as, even tho walleye are not a pike.

Actually there is a sub-species of pike, read it in an article in one of the mags, don't rememmber which. DNA and such were done and all, it was concluded that there is a subspecies. It's along the lines of the likes of the florida bass and the northern strain bass type sub-species, very minor at a glance but closer inspect shows minute variances.

Blue pike are extinct, but they were some good eating in their prime. When i lived in Cleveland in the 40's we caught them by the barrel full but they are all gone now.

yes my bad, I read up a lil bit and blue pike were very rare subspecies of walleye, and were exclusive to lake erie and lake onterio, and some in the niagara river. They went extinct in the 1980s. There have been reports of people catching blue pike but they were found to simply be normal walleye with a rare hue to there color. It was also known as the blue walleye, again, walleye nor blue pike are actually of the pike species.

The In-Fisherman magazine had an article about silver pike a few years ago. We have only caught them on Lac La Marte in the NWT. Largest was 20#, looked like a salmon.

Cool looking fish.

Like said above, not to be confused with the Blue Pike, which is not a Pike at all, but a subspecies of the Walleye. There was a good article in the MN Conservation Volunteer a few months ago about the Blue Pike. I guess a few of them were “slipped” into a lake in the Northern part of the State and are supposedly still being caught.

However, I don’t think a true Blue Pike has been documented in decades.

yeah, I was reading on wikipedia and there have been quite a few reports of blue pike being caught, but all were proved to be walleye with strange coloring.

I have caught blue walleye on Lac Seul and silver pike out of Lake Ord which is about 30 miles south of Ear Falls.

Whatever they are, they are mighty cool looking.

i caught one of those "silver" pike this year it was the most weirdest fish i have ever seen it was exactly half regular and half silver wish i had a camera for that one

that is a crazy looking fish. Im sure there is alot of studies that have went into this. Kinda looks like a muskie more then a pike.

Congrats on the rare catch