• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

silver pike?

Cyberfish

yeah, its a rare pike that is really just a northern that happens under certain conditions. Its not a subspecies but a mutation. I've caught quite a few at a small lake I fish a lot on.

Yeah, that is what I thought. thanks

MT

Actually there is a sub-species of pike, read it in an article in one of the mags, don't rememmber which. DNA and such were done and all, it was concluded that there is a subspecies. It's along the lines of the likes of the florida bass and the northern strain bass type sub-species, very minor at a glance but closer inspect shows minute variances.

yes my bad, I read up a lil bit and blue pike were very rare subspecies of walleye, and were exclusive to lake erie and lake onterio, and some in the niagara river. They went extinct in the 1980s. There have been reports of people catching blue pike but they were found to simply be normal walleye with a rare hue to there color. It was also known as the blue walleye, again, walleye nor blue pike are actually of the pike species.

Cool looking fish.

Like said above, not to be confused with the Blue Pike, which is not a Pike at all, but a subspecies of the Walleye. There was a good article in the MN Conservation Volunteer a few months ago about the Blue Pike. I guess a few of them were “slipped” into a lake in the Northern part of the State and are supposedly still being caught.

However, I don’t think a true Blue Pike has been documented in decades.