• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Beers

caseymcq

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A beer I’ve been drinking for the last year or so (on occasion, it’s a bit pricy) is Three Philosophers by Ommegang brewery. It’s almost a barley-wine and really has to be tasted to appreciate. Those who love complex old world style beers should seek this one out.

A beer I’ve been drinking for the last year or so (on occasion, it’s a bit pricy) is Three Philosophers by Ommegang brewery. It’s almost a barley-wine and really has to be tasted to appreciate. Those who love complex old world style beers should seek this one out.

Heres a picture of Brewery Ommegang, im a little less than an hour from there. The girlfriend and I went up there this fall. It was very neat, it almost looks like a old castle. They give you a cool rundouwn and free samples of thier diff brews. My favorites were the Hennepin and I really liked the Rare Vos

052yy5.jpg

Speaking of Barleywines, have you ever tried the seasonal one from Sierra Nevada, the Bigfoot Ale?

That one kicks your a$$! 9.6% and small bottles.

Good beer though. But it creeps up on ya!

I would not call what it does to me after 4 bottles as a "creep up". More of a "drive-by".

Delish!!!!!

Czechvar, a great beer from the hometown of my ancesters!

Czechvar is very good, only I had it in the Czech Republic, where it is known as Budweiser. At $0.50 a pint, you probably are going to drink too much. My buddy and I partied it up on America Street in Plzen, good times.

Other favorites of mine, Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale, Summit Maibock, and any Imperial Stout I can get my hands on.

Actually I like just about any beer, except the cheapest of the lights. Light beers are great for drinking games because they go down like water, and the taste doesn't bother me. The only ones I really don't care for are the "flavored" beers (honey, cherry, etc.), coffee stouts, or wheat beers. Otherwise, I'll probably like it. I just like some more than others.

Quetico, if you like farmhouse ales, there's a new brewery located in Stillwater - Lift Bridge Brewing Company. They make a Farm Girl Saison that is awesome! It is only available in kegs currently, so you need to hit a bar or get some buddies together.

I highly recommend folks try Orval at least once too.

NEW FAVORITE!!!!

Oh man, Sam Adam's Holiday Porter. If I had to pick one beer to have for the rest of the winter, this would be it. I hope to find it in six pack form, I am not a fan of some of the others available in the holiday pack.

It is wicked dark, so if they scare you off, you may not like it, but I like dark beer so my palet may be different than yours.

Some dark beers have a lighter and sweeter taste than you would expect. Moose Drool has a much lighter taste and its a much faster drinking beer than you would expect from such a dark beer. So keep an open mind when it comes to dark beers. I have been pleasantly surprised a few times.

Hello Dark Cloud.

Hennepin and Rare Vos are available here locally (Minneapolis area) even though the Ommegang brewery HSOforum doesn’t state it. Booth are very good and anyone who likes crafted beers should try these. Have you been to the Cooperstown brewery? It was small and quaint and has (many)free samples too.

ezwalt - yep, the Cooperstown brewery. If you go back a few pages on this thread you'll see a pict I took of the brewery. We were there on a busy sunday this fall. The girlfriend and I were driving around looking at foliage and ended up there. It's about an hour from where I live. They gave you a rundown and sample of thier 5 brews...