• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you attach your reels?

toughguy

Tommy Tape. I believe it is a self adhesive electrical tape that can be taken off and reused again. It leaves no residue and can be found at Menards and others like Home Depot. It isn't cheap, but works very well. I don't remember what the actual name is at this time, but if you ask someone in the department for tommy tape they usually know what you want. I think it is about $6 per roll.

I use electrical tape. To prevent the tape from goofing up the cork, the first piece of electrical tape i put on the handle upside down (sticky side out). It takes a little to get the first wrap on. Then when i wrap the tape to hold on the reel i wrap the new tape on the upside down tape and it works really well. No tape residue on the cork when you take it off.

The shrink wraps that come on the rods seem to be a joke, so I reinforce with electrical tape.

Remember the girls you would date in high school would wrap yarn around your class ring, then put a layer or two of clear fingernail polish on it? I think that might work pretty good as well.

Hose clamps grin Seriously, I use 3M 35 and use a different color to "code" my different rod/reel combos. If you use something other than 3M 33+ or 35 it's pretty much junk and your going to get your $.99 cents worth out of it. You could always use some good hi-voltage or underground rated shrink wrap and as long as you did a real neet job it would look good, but there would be no second chance.

I put a light layer of masking tape on the handle where I place the reel. It stays there, then wrap the reel with the electric tape. If I want to use the reel in the spring for open water fishing, just cut off the electric tape, and the masking tape is left for next year. No way to pull off chunks of cork that way.

A quick question- what is "friction tape" that was mentioned in post #2.

Thanks to anyone who would be willing to explain.

Mr_Pike_71

If is used to tape the blade of a hockey stick. It is called friction tape because the side that faces out has a sticky coating. Stickyness is suppose to help with puck handling. I've only known it to come in black. I personally would not recommend it for securing a reel. Unless you like your reel handles to be sticky. You can find the tape at any sporting goods store that sells hockey gear.