• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will WI have the #1 typical by seasons end?

Cooter

I worked in buffalo county for a long time, read their HSOforum, they all run leased land, no penned fences.

If you actually visited their HSOforum like I did, the pics that they have posted from previous years are far from monsters.

Your right about the advertising, and I don't blame them a bit. If it was me, I'd advertise the heck out of it too. Who wouldn't?

Personally, I'm scared of the way hunting is headed, in the last two years, two landowners whose property I hunt on were approached about land leasing. More land leasing means more pressure in public areas, more QDM, and less DM, which is not ideal if it is too large an area, the buck to doe ratio will quickly get out of hand if more and more "outfitters, scoop up land and only shoot trophy's. I think in the next ten years, we will see a lot more of it on our side of the border. We might all be willing to pay an outfitter, just to hunt some private land.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a good move to make the video public and believe it to be a real world class caliber buck to be pursued in fair chase conditions and raised naturally and free-ranging. If the outfitter (who is known and respected by many nationally) puts their info in the video and there is any sort of legitimate controversy to accompany the story of the development and potential harvest of the deer, they would be essentially risking their good name. I doubt these folks would do that. Also, a lot of outfitters that know their stuff strongly encourage clients to harvest atleast one doe if the opportunity presents itself. I always thought that was part of true QDM; balancing the sex ratio. When was this video shot? The deer in question could have grown and inch here or there since the filming. We could get another peek at it soon. Season opens this weekend and we could see a green score soon! Milo, are you scared?

Buffalo county (State of Wisconsin) is earn a buck, but I'm not sure what the guidelines are for guided outfits? Does anybody know? I know on their sight they say that you have to purchase your own tag, so maybe, you would also have to make it valid first by taking a doe, I really don't know what the regs say about guide services.

And Sandmannd, I could shoot it, if I could keep from shaking.

Ok now that we know the price for the hunt...Would you pony up the cash for a chance to take this buck? You've got a possible All time Record on your hands...As we've witnessed in reading this post, it's starting to be well published by the internet and prob some media types. When records fall...Are companies tossing money or gifts your way so they can have your picture on their products for sales & marketing...For example, if you were using "X" call, wearing company "X's" clothing line, using "X" companies tree stand, etc..I think you get the point. Would that $2,400 pay for itself "IF" you got him? Seems like a lot of Doe laugh to me (No pun intended)

I would pay that much to hunt trophy deer for a 5 day hunt(but not if I HAD to shoot a doe first). It doesn't sound like that much to me. So if the outfitter has to lease the land, pay for other hands to guide, pay for the hunters room and board, and he'd like to make something..... It's not cheap but it all adds up.

Like someone said earlier, I do have a problem if the outfitters charging by the inch. The reason I'm going to an outfitter is to find some bigger deer. I don't want to have to look at a deer and say OMG that deer would cost me $8000, I have to let it go!!

If I had to shoot a doe first then I would NOT pay that much for this hunt. What if you couldn't get a shot at a doe for the first day or two???

In the earn a buck zones, in order to get a buck tag you need to bring in a doe and register it, and they then will give yyou the buck tag. I know in recent years you could use a late hunt doe to get your buck tag if you didnt fill your buck tag from the earlier years, but I am not sure they still do it that way.

Registration stations were supposed to, but didn't always remove an ear from an antlerless deer used to obtain an EAB sticker. So we get two stickers off of each doe wink I'll bet some guys show up early in bowseason for their doe then come back for the rut. Some probably show up for the Oct antlerless only hunt, which is end of the month so right before rut time. Who knows, some might even hunt late season one year for a doe then buck hunt the next year. Also, reputable outfitters aren't gonna have guides out shooting does right before hunters show up.

I'd like to see better footage or a good trail cam pic. I thought on the video though the guy was driving between leases - wonder if they have access to the land the buck was videod on?

Do you really think they would take anyone any where close to that buck. By the way it sounds they lease land all over and id be willing to bet no one gets within sevaral miles of where they spotted it. I know if i guided and saw that,it would be mine, no money would pursuade me to give some rich-"NON HUNTER" a chance at it.

Not sure about these guys but the guide I hunt with in Missouri had a 200+ inch buck around 98. The week I was there one of the hunters saw it and hunted that area the entire week. The guide "told" me would have loved for someone to get that deer because it would have been great publicity for him.

Talked to my brother this weekend, he is a feed salesman in that area, he has heard a lot about it. Supposedly, and this is all hearsay, that buck is not on property leased by the guide. The guide was on his way to check out his leases when he got it on video. He told me the name of the little town where it was spotted, but I forgot and don't really want to mention it anyway.

He was very confident that the deer would get shot this year. I think he was referring to the fact that they will push the woods until its found. We might get a final score after all. Keep in mind, this was all small town gossip, but this was the buzz around his sales route last week.

I have not hunted Wisconsin in 15 years, but decided to pay the $160 out state fee this year after seeing a nice bunch of bucks on trail cams last year at my dad's 160 acre farm in Buffalo County. I got my earn a buck doe opening day and when you register they split an ear so it can't be used again by another hunter. Last night nothing but turkeys showed up but looking forward to the rut.

The photos on the left are the same buck that survived the hunt last year, an up and comer on the right! Most of the bucks we caught on camera last year were 2 to 3 year old 10 pointers so it should be a good season!

john20camera20deer.jpg

Fish, I think he's trying to start an arguement, I thought the same thing but didn't bite. There is nothing wrong with a guided hunt. Not everyone on here is that self righteous. I wouldn't think about going out west for a minute without hiring a guide. And I KNOW that I am a hunter.

Will be interesting to see what happens. As i see it, it is what it is, someone will probably find or kill this deer, we can all hope that some honost person who is an average joe kills this deer but after buffalo county outfitters put this all over the web im guessing that probably wont happen. Are only hope is we can all hunt hard in are areas and find are own trophy out there, as we know the big boys hide very well, you never know when you will spot one. My question is what ever happen to the Mitch Rompla guy who shot that monster buck in Michagan like 10 years ago, he had pics but wouldnt let anyone look at it and everyone thought it was a fake????