• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK guys,

This is the first year that we have kept some of the rock bass we caught while on vacation. I have about 20 of them in vacuum bags and was wondering if anybody had any special recipies for them. I heard that most people just fry them up like perch or walleye. I know that some people refuse to eat them and have heard them called "sewer crappies" on another thread! LOL They were in such abundance and large size this year so I kept a few for a trial fish fry.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Windy

We kept a couple last year just to see what they tasted like. Made them with some sunnies, no worms, the meat was white and they tasted like crappie to me. Haven't kept any since but they were not bad at all. This was in spring with the water being cold and from a very clean lake so I would say it depends on the water temp and lake they come from. But I also like bullheads so maybe the beer over the years has killed my taste buds.

We had some deep fried sheephead a couple of weeks ago, they were done with shorelunch. People have told me that sheephead didn't taste good. Either I was really hungry or the shorelunch thing works, but they tasted good.

A little tartar sauce, lemon, or whatever works and any fish taste good.

We had some deep fried sheephead a couple of weeks ago, they were done with shorelunch. People have told me that sheephead didn't taste good. Either I was really hungry or the shorelunch thing works, but they tasted good.

Yeah, sheepies are good!

We took these out of Cass Lake at the end of July, the lake was about 5 weeks behind schedule and water temps were right around 73 at the highest, don't know if that would lead to the stronger taste. Lake was very clear as well.

My thoughts would be to agressively season them, maybe cajun spices etc to offset any strong fish taste, rather than treating them like walleye. I do this with northern and that seems to do well.

Windy

Windy, I've eaten rock bass a couple times when I promised my wife a meal of fish and couldn't catch anything else ; - )

What I found is that the lateral line of bones are pretty large and should be removed. You can feel them with your finger if you run right through the middle of the fillet. Take your fillet knife and cut all the way through the meat on either side of those bones, in a straight line from the front of the fillet to the back of the rib cage area, then remove the 1/8 inch thick piece of meat that contains all those bones and discard. Those Rockies will eat a lot better that way how ever you cook them. I do the same thing with walleyes and perch, and larger sunfish, just so my daughter won't get any big bones while chowing down on the fish.

Thanks Matt,

We have been doing that for years with wallys and perch for the exact same reason. We don't want the grand kids hitting a bone on their first fish meals. That could scare a kid away from fish for quite a while. I will be sure to trim up those rockies!

Windy