• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Line for Each Method

74mph

Here is a good educational post and question for all of the experts out there to teach us not-so-expert bass guys.

What line type and weight combination is best for fishing several different lakes in and around southern minnesota using the following baits...

BE MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT LINE TYPE THAN BRAND!

1) Carolina Rig

2) Texas Rig

3) Jig Worm

4) Jig/Pig

5) Cranks

6) Spinners/Spinnerbaits

7) Chatterbaits

I am definently not the expert but here is what I might do. How off am I???..

1) Carolina Rig

- 20# Braided / 20# florocarbon leader

2) Texas Rig

- 20# Braided

3) Jig Worm

- 10# Mono or Fluorocarbon

4) Jig/Pig

- 20# Fluorocarbon

5) Cranks

- 20# Braided

6) Spinners/Spinnerbaits

- 20# Braided

7) Chatterbaits

- 20# Florocarbon

Thanks is advance! I have had these questions for a long time.

Andy

2) #20 braid might be overkill unless you are working some very heavy weeds, I would consider putting that in the jig worm catagory depending on the situation.

7) The #20 Flouro might not be needed on the Chatterbait I would treat that more like the spinnerbait catagory.

Other than that looks similar to what I would use. Most importantly though use what you have the most confidence in.

I myself with a shortage of rods look at each rod and what line is on it to see what i am going to put on. I do Have several rules for line though.

-Mono is used for topwater

-Anything in heavy cover Braid(overrules topwater)

-Worms and jigs are best with Flouro or braid

-Pitching is easier with mono

-Finesse is best with flouro

As for pound test.

-20 pound mono is castable and yet easy to pitch with.

-The only difference in braid while fishing is the diameter. You simply arent going to break off 20 pound fireline BUT the diameter of 65 pound can help a ton with dig-ins and allow you to cast farther.

Technique somewhat determines what kind of line I use. Other factors that I consider when choosing the type of line is the kind of structure/cover I am fishing and also water clarity. For example if I were fishing a jig in heavy pads/slop I would use braid. If I were fishing the exact same jig on a sparse weedline or rock structure I would probably opt for flourocarbon. Same thing with water clarity...dirty water I don't hesitate to use braid in open water, in clear water I like mono or flouro better.

The only one I would change (if it was me...if it was me!)on your list is using mono with a spinnerbait. Most people will have objective opinions on types of line for certain techniques, but there will always be some subjectivity in their choices(which goes with most things in fishing)

My personal line choices are:

Jigworm - I use to use 8# mono, but have been using 10# braid with flouro leader this year and like it. BUT! - it is much harder to see the line so I will try a colored braid.

Pitching - 15 or 17 # flouro

Cranks - 14# copoly (you want a little stretch)

Spinnernbaits - 17# copoly or 30# braid

Slop & Swimming jigs - 30# braid

Quote:
1) Carolina Rig

2) Texas Rig

3) Jig Worm

4) Jig/Pig

5) Cranks

6) Spinners/Spinnerbaits

7) Chatterbaits

as other have said, it often depends on water clarity and weather conditions for me.. however, this is what works well for me at least.

1)I dont fish a lagit carolina rig often.. but when I do..65 Braid. I do fish a Stupid Rig which is similar and often fish it on 16 lb florocarbon.

2)Texas Rig-12 lb copoly. or 16 lb Floro.

3)Jig Worm 10 lb Copoly

4)Jig Pig- I have 3 rods rigged as such at all times.. 65lb Braid, 17Lb Copoly, 20 lb Floro

5)Cranks 10lb Floro

6)& 7) 14 lb Copoly.

1. Don't fish it much

2. Depends what I am doing. I fish a lighter T-rig on 14# mono and edges of cover and alot in the spring. I fish a heavier T-rig on 40# braid.

3. 8# mono

4. When I am fishing heavy cover usually shallow 40# braid. Out on weedlines usually 14# mono.

5. Any where from 8# to 14# mono depends on what I am doing.

6. 30-40# braid

I have never tried any floros, but I like what I am fishing and I have confidence in it. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

DD you don't like Mono? I noticed it all copoly or flouro

also what exactly is copoly is that a mixture between mono & flouro?

If we are talking technically. There are very few true Monofiliments(mono) any more. SO companies make copolymer(copoly) lines. I maybe should say mono, but its really not. They are a mixture of monofiliments, some mix floro, some other types of nylon I believe. Copolymers float, Floro sink, Copoly is usually a little more stretchy than floro. Floro is usually more abrasion resistant than copoly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here is mine:

1. Never use it - honest, haven't tied one on in five years.

2. 16lb Fluoro

3. 7lb Fluoro

4. 20lb Fluoro unless super heavy cover then 80lb braid

5. 10lb Fluoro - sometime 12 to 14 but always fluoro

6. 16lb Fluoro

7. 16lb Fluoro

You asked DD about fluoro. I have all but given up on Mono! I still have one spool rigged with it for topwater (fluoro sinks) but otherwise have all but given up on it. Fluoro has less stretch and more abrasion proof plus the fish can't see it. Sometimes kind of funny to deal with on the management side but the positive FAR out-weight the negatives. IMHO!

Fluoro has been covered a lot on this sight. We all have our own brands of choice (mine happens to be Sunline) but this is one area where it pays to spend extra money. The more expensive brands last longer and are more manageable. I have several spools of Sunline that I have been using all year with no issues. More expensive but worth the price and less re-spooling.

the confusion with monolines is that:

monomer - one nylon material

copolymer - two or more nylon material mixture

florocarbon lines comes in monomer and copolymer:

monomer - 100% florocarbon

copolymer - nylon and florocarbon crystal coated.

PE (polyethylene) lines / Superlines - Spectra, Dyneema:

single strand - Fireline

braid / multi strand - Powerpro, Sufix

Quote:
Deitz, just curious as to which line and lb test you are using for drop shotting?

6lb Florocarbon. I was fishing with a guy the other day.. same exact weight, same exact hook, same exact lure... He had on 10 lb test I had 6... I outfished him 18-3.

Thanks Deitz, I will give 6lb a try on another rod and switch back and forth to see if the 18 - 3 holds up for me also.... I have a pretty good deep bite going in clear water so this should be interesting.

That's a big reason why you re-tie often.. 6lb is pretty darn light for bass fishing especially when the hook is right on the line...

1) Carolina Rig

2) Texas Rig

3) Jig Worm

4) Jig/Pig

5) Cranks

6) Spinners/Spinnerbaits

7) Chatterbaits

Hiya -

1.) 14# Copoly, 12# fluoro leader. May go up to 17# main line if I'm in really nasty stuff. (Most of my C-rigging is around rocks for smallies though)

2.) 15 or 17# Fluoro on deep weed edges, 20# Fluoro or 65# braid when pitching in the junk.

3.) 8# mono most of the time, occasionally 6# fluoro.

4.) 12# fluoro on weedlines, 20# fluoro or 65# braid in the junk.

5.) 12# fluoro most of the time, 20# braid when fishing deep divers around thick coontail late in the season.

6.) 15# mono.

7.) Rarely fish them, but when I do - same as spinnerbaits.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Thanks everyone for your input. This has been a great post for me. Here is what I have decided to do after gathering all of this info. This is basically a compromise in some spots becuase I dont have enough rods! But here is what I will do...

1) Carolina Rig

- 12#copoly / 20# floro leader (mainly for abraision resistence)

2) Texas Rig

- 12# copoly

3) Jig Worm (spinning reel)

- 10# co-poly

4) Jig/Pig

- 65# Braid - (will probably also do some texas rigs on this rod)

5) Cranks

- 17# Fluoro - (will probably also do some jig/pig on this rod)

6) Spinners/Spinnerbaits/Chatterbaits

- 17# Floro

8) Drop shot rig (forgot this previously)

- 6# copoly

Ive only got 5 rods I like to fish (for now). I think this should cover me pretty well. Let me know if you would change any of this up.

Wow- you are all over the place!

I like frog fishing as well. I typically have used 30# power pro but I like the idea of the 15 lb to rip the pads when you get snagged up. Good tip.