Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

MN River Monster Flathead

58 posts in this topic

Tonight I hit the river with FM/HSO's own "Borch". A while back I thought it would be fun to see if a few FM staff members who never have fished for flatheads might be interested in giving it a go.

Borch and I were able to set up a date and we rolled with it. I was a little apprehensive fishing tonight with the water rising and the weather conditions (rain). But that was never enough to stop me.

I got Borch set up with one of my rigs, gave him a few pointers and before you know it, he's setting the hook into his first flathead:

borch1.jpg

See that was pretty easy huh?

15 minutes later, Borch set's the hook into his second flathead:

borch2.jpg

Now he's got my attention. We've been fishing 30 minutes and he's boated two fish already?

I decide enough of this and toss my bait a little closer to his.

15 minutes later, I get hit:

40x27 and 34lbs

34.jpg

I'm thinking, hey, we can just go home now. 3 fish in the boat and it's not even 7:30.

I try to explain to Borch that this isn't what normally happens. Usually we sit around and talk, keeping a bait in the water and around dark we start getting some fish. As I'm explaining this......THUMP! Borch get's hit again.

I'm thinking...come on, seriously, are you kidding me?

He sets the hook and this time it's a bit heavier and the fight is on! 10 minutes later this beast is hoisted by Jeff!

45x30 and 49lbs!

borch49.jpg

borch492.jpg

We ended up with 2 more decent fish before calling it a night making 6 for the night.

It was just one of those magical nights and I have not much else to say other that congrats Borch!

Who's Next?

LOl...nice work. I like the progression of photos pert near exponential smile.

Good gravy Borch! Nice FISH. And you hold those kitties just like the pros!

Great pix! Thanks for posting.

There's nothing to this falthead fishing is there Borch. Looks like a night to remember for sure.

CONGRATS on a true trophy. Now, I suppose there is another river rat in the making.

Holy crapola!! Way to go guys! Maybe I should have gone with you Darren instead of Hanson.... Nah, you guys almost got skunked that night! wink Still, congrats on the fish. I will be hitting "a river" tonight with Tyler, hopefully I still have some luck left over from last weekend.

Nice fish guys.

I was getting a little frustrated the last two or three days. Nice to see they are still biting somewhere.

Unbelievable Fish Borch!!!! Unbelievable!!

PS... Congrats on 5,000 posts Darren.

I was getting a little frustrated the last two or three days.

As was I man.

I think it was 3 skunks in a row.

When Borch pulled in that first little one I said, "do you realize you just did in 15 minutes, what I couldn't do in 20 hrs"

Nights like last night is the reason I put up with the last three.

Good times, good company, and good fishing.

John, I do believe you need to catch a nice fish out of my boat yet this year wink

I think I figured out the secret guys...

When WWG & Dtro are catching fish, I'm getting skunked.

When I'm catching fish, WWG & Dtro are getting skunked.

I'm starting to see a pattern...

I'm starting to see a pattern...

That you get skunked a lot? [rimshot]

Just kidding, my skunks far outnumber yours this year.

Thanks for the congrats

Now that fella will expect to catch flathead like that every trip!

Man, that is an AWESOME night! Great job adapting, you guys. Wow, those pictures really made my morning! Man, Borch could probably be up in the top 5 of KOTC after 1 night!

I know what you mean about getting frustrated, Darren. I would guess that 3 skunkings in a row is probably a new record for you for this year anyway! You kept hammering away though, including in the rain, etc...and it paid off!

So far, out of my 6 outings in the last 2 weeks, I've personally been skunked 5 times. So I'm right there on the frustration scale. Boat-mates have gotten into enough fish to keep it interesting, though, so that's good! Luckily I popped a couple small ones on Saturday so I'm good to go for another 3 skunkings smile I just keep thinking I'm 1 outing away from getting a monster!

Great guide job, Darren. Now if you were putting these monsters on your KOTC submissions you wouldn't be able to see anybody in your rearview mirror. This is a great post - I liked how the fish just kept getting big and bigger. That last is a true monster.

I am ready Darren. I do believe it is my turn for the next big one in your boat.

Either that or we could take mine and you can catch the big one.

Seems to be the way it works.

It also seems that any time I take out a "newbie" we have a good night. Great to see Borch get into a couple last night. I heard he missed a few also.......could have been an even better night if you guys would learn to set the hook a little better.

Maybe you could photoshop the background out next time.

Ed, how do you get anything from the back grounds in those images and this is coming from a back ground junky grin. Unless Dtro took an image out, the only people who would get a possible back recognition, are the people who maybe have been in that area before.

Is the KOTC making people this nervous confused?

Nice fish Borch! Man, If it is not Hanson's boat, it Dtro's boat. I am sure others are having great nights, but do not post in detail.

Thanks guys!

Maybe you could photoshop the background out next time.

wow, I hope you are kidding.

I did some editing to the backgroud of my fish that might have suggested a general area, but if anyone can seriously pinpoint that location by my photos, hats off to them.

It's a great fish and deserved to be highlighted in it's natural surroundings.

Nice fish. I really gotta get out and learn some cattin!! I think I know that tree you were by. wink It's the one with all the leeves right? grin

Wow, I hope he's kidding too.

Cuz I don't recognize it.

DTRO, you should just quit catching fish and then it won't be a problem.

You're setting him up for dissappointment with such a great first outing. Oh well, I am sure neither of you were complaining.

All I can say is, "Thank You Darren!!!"

What a blast! Heading into the night expectations weren't all that high with rising water levels and weather that might end our night early if it turned ugly. But it all worked out awsome!

I never dreamed I'd stick a monster like that. But if you're in a spot that's holding fish anything can happen I guess. All that training hauling around lanscape block and sacks of concrete earlier in the afternoon paid off. wink

As far as the spot goes, I don't even know where we were and I was there. wink

It's looking like I'm going to need to update my avatar. It's about time I get something new up there. laugh

Thanks again Darren. I owe you one laugh