• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Opener???

hardwaterfishing

There is a section of the state that is open this weekend for bass as well. North and east of U.S. Hwy. 53 from Duluth to International Falls and Pelican and Ash lakes in St. Louis County

I know it is not much off the state but on page 13 of the regulation book it states that,

"May 10,2008-Feb.22,2009 north and east of U.S. Hwy. 5 from Duluth to International Falls and Pelican and Ash lakes in St. Louis County"

I could be wrong, but I always thought it was because they(DNR) wanted to make bass available to BWCA campers. Doesn't make much sense cuz the idea is to protect spawning bass. And if they wanted to give preferential to BWCA, why not make it BWCA only. The early season does open up quite a bit of bass water - Vermillion being the biggest. Strange rule. One lake we fish by Eveleth is closed, yet 5 miles away another is open. IMO, all bass should open for C&R with the walleye opener. Wisconsin bass is open right now, similar geography and their bass pop. seems fine.

rascal

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Bass dont necessarily bite well on Vermilion early. They fire up in july then its on.

I'll be at pelican this weekend. You boys play nice.

I have spent the last two "walleye" openers on Vermillion fishing for bass and have had outstanding fishihng.

(grant it that it was much warmeer spring) All Largemouth. I think the smallies pick up later. Last year on Sunday the day after the walleye opener we C&R so many fish that I quit counting at 100 fish and our arms were tired from reeling them in. Most fish in the 2-3 lb range with an occassional 4+ and each year we were also able to pick up a few eyes too. I will not be fishing this opener but hope you all the best of luck and please be safe. Good Fishing!!

Originally Posted By: YUM
But why go out of their way to open a small section two weeks earlier? I dont get it

I would guess a group of resort owners lobbied of resort owners lobbied for it

Originally Posted By: Pherris
 Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Bass dont necessarily bite well on Vermilion early. They fire up in july then its on.

I'll be at pelican this weekend. You boys play nice.

I have spent the last two "walleye" openers on Vermillion fishing for bass and have had outstanding fishihng.

(grant it that it was much warmeer spring) All Largemouth. I think the smallies pick up later. Last year on Sunday the day after the walleye opener we C&R so many fish that I quit counting at 100 fish and our arms were tired from reeling them in. Most fish in the 2-3 lb range with an occassional 4+ and each year we were also able to pick up a few eyes too. I will not be fishing this opener but hope you all the best of luck and please be safe. Good Fishing!!

Ive caught 2 largemouth bass in my entire life on Lake Vermilion. Reason being I only fish the Tower end. Like 2 different lakes (cook vs tower end).

Im speaking of smallmouths.