• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dnr landowner list / gaining access

minky

I have had zero luck gaining hunting access using the list on mn dnr web site. I have tried for the last 3 years. Most landowners don't feel the need to let others hunt even tho they had preference in the spring turkey tag drawing. If this problem doesn't get fixed, maybe the landowner preference for tags  program should be discontinued. What are everyone s else's experience and thoughts.

I thought they were required to allow access.  Not to anyone/everyone who asks, but at least someone.  Difficult to prove compliance but maybe a few spot checks by the C.O. would show a trend?  I agree though, if allowing access is a condition of being in the preference drawing, that's how it should be or no program.

I can't say I've had any personal experience with that list but don't doubt getting permission is tough in some areas.  It's been getting tougher every year it seems.  And now more hunters are using archery and claiming their properties for the entire season rather than a week long stretch and letting someone else play for a season.  That's what I'm running into.

28 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I thought they were required to allow access. 

They are, but it's easily loopholed out.   All Mr. Farmer needs to say is somebody else already asked and they gave them permission. 

I knocked on over a dozen doors about a month out from the start of the season with 0% success.   That was a few years ago.  Everybody had some sort of reason why it was not gonna work.   I ended up hunting public land with no success and that was the last time I messed with Minnesota's turkey season.

Yep Farmer gets his tag and lets all his relatives hunt his land. Requirement filled! ;)

We did get on a few farms down by Houston MN.  All we had to say is Yeah, that dam Bush and we were good to go! :D

Edited by leech~~

I have also hunted Turkey's in Wisconsin and really enjoyed how they have their land program set up. I believe the landowner get so much per acre. Talking to a few farmers in the program, they were happy to see me hunting and using the land. From what I could tell the land was clearly marked and the hunters were respectful and clean (no garbage left). Maybe I should just spend my money in Wisconsin!

I know a few landowners that have recieved landowner permits for turkeys and all allow hunters other than themselves.  Like said above, the others were family and friends.  This qualifies under the rules, I guess.

There is a lot of good turkey land available by simply asking.  It is getting more and more difficult with the archery licences being good for all seasons.  Although I will be hunting myself with the bow this year, this is one aspect of our season structure that may need to be revisited, in my opinion.

It locks alot of land up for the whole season, as alot of landowners respect thier hunters and dont let others on until the current hunter is done.  I have seen land go from a new hunter each of the first 4 seasons and at least one the remainder to maybe 2 a year.  That is alot lost access.

Helps if you go into the local cafes and start talking to the old farmers. In one trip I got access to 6 farms. Bring that old farmer a few fish fillets, a dressed pheasant, a couple grouse breasts, some plucked ducks, or some venison depending on what they like. Do this throughout the year and bingo you are hooked up. Word spreads and you gain new farms as well. 

The farmers tell tell me they hate when people wait until the week before the season opens to ask for permission. I have helped pick rock, bale hay, or plow up  fields this also sets you apart from the people who just want to hunt. 

21 hours ago, minky said:

Would restricting an archery hunter to any 2 consecutive time periods help? 

No!

8 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Helps if you go into the local cafes and start talking to the old farmers. In one trip I got access to 6 farms. Bring that old farmer a few fish fillets, a dressed pheasant, a couple grouse breasts, some plucked ducks, or some venison depending on what they like. Do this throughout the year and bingo you are hooked up. Word spreads and you gain new farms as well. 

The farmers tell tell me they hate when people wait until the week before the season opens to ask for permission. I have helped pick rock, bale hay, or plow up  fields this also sets you apart from the people who just want to hunt. 

No!

I agree with you on giving back to the landowners. Without them alot of would have to sit at home.

Why the sturn no? Care to elaborate a bit?

3 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

A shorter season is not going to help with some to allow access

I think that depends on a few variables.  I agree it won’t help with some but that still leaves some that could.  It’s an interesting question.

On a related note, I was offered a chance to request access through a relative of a land owner last season after it was under way.  The request was made but the answer was NO because someone using archery gear already had permission for the season.  Admittedly they didn’t know when the hunter was coming/going or even if they’d been successful yet.  And they weren’t going out of their way to find out.  “Maybe check next year before season starts”.  Disappointing but that’s how it goes.

Well, I put the ask in this year already and mentioned I’d be happy to help with some chores if needed.  Also I made it clear I wasn’t asking for exclusive permission. Waiting for a reply. I don’t even know how good the property is - it’s just a chance to get out, meet some folks and see something new.

I believe last year’s hunter (I know who they were) had permission on multiple properties and used them based on activity.  Yep, a great scenario for any hunter!  But if we all collect as much as possible for our exclusive use and don’t release anything even after getting a bird, it really shuts other hunters down.

I am starting to feel more optimistic about my turkey season. It looks like I will be hunting a combination of private and public land. I am very thankful for the landowners who are letting me hunt.  Now I need to get busy and get some scouting done as the season nears. At least around my area, the flocks don't really start to break up until right before the season. I want to also hunt more afternoons and evenings. I feel I have been missing out on some good hunting during those times.

@minky. We've shot way more birds early afternoon until sundown than the morning hunts.  This is especially true for the "C" and later seasons.  If fact I shot an "A" season bird with 10 minutes left in my season before.  Hunt as much as you can as it can happen at any moment.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I have started to scout a little, how will the recent snowfall affect flock break up? One of the landowners has been seeing a group of 5 toms and jakes.