• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity Reports

Lunker

Was out wed. Eve, all day yesterday, and will be out all day today. 

Saw 1 single doe yesterday. Rattled in a decent 8 this morn at 11:45am. He gave me no shot. Pretty warm. I think gun hunters are gonna get all the luck again. 

From my observations and from talking to others. The bucks are still running around pretty good. Now that rifle is done around here I will try to get back in the trees with a bow as soon as I can. Probably not until next weekend though...

I've been hearing reports from my uncle that bucks have been on the move during daylight hours around the Duluth area.  He's had a few show up on the edge of the yard/field late afternoon.  I'm planning on being up there Wed and Thurs to see if one of them wants to come play with one of my arrows. 

I had a decent 8 push a doe past me tonight about 4.  I tried grunting him away from the doe, but all I did was bring in a gun hunter to about 60 yards away before he noticed me.  A little scary considering I was sitting on the edge of the CRP he was walking through with my orange on and waiving my hat at him trying to get his attention.  When he finally noticed me he said "wow I didn't see you up there".  Most of the scrapes had fresh tracks in them as well.  They certainly aren't working things as hard as they were, but it's not over yet.

So I've been in the stand the last few nights, and there has been a little 6point pushing does.  My parents have also been seeing him all throughout the day, head down, like he's searching for does.  He's acting like it's the heat of the rut.  I'm still fairly new to deer hunting, especially the late season, is this normal?  It seems odd that he is the only one.  All of the other bucks on camera are grouped back up and completely nocturnal. 

On a side note we also have a young buck that dropped it's antlers already.  This is the earliest I have seen that. 

New Year's Day a few years ago was walking the dog in the city. 2 does almost ran us over in a park. Looked back and 3 bucks were following. 1 giant non typical 1 nice 8-10 point and a spike. Only thing I could think is they were looking for love. 

I have been noticing a little chasing going on in Elk River area.  One giant buck with about 5-7 does he was pushing around and then another smaller buck bedded w a doe.  Prior to that I hadn't really seen a buck in a couple weeks.  Could be a coincidence but also could be a sign of some does going into heat late.

Well I decided to sit one more day to try and at least shoot a doe.  Just my luck the little six that we've been seeing pushing does all over just pushed 4 off the clover. Had the bow in hand and everything.  Hopefully 3 hours is enough time for another one to work it's way in.

Good luck to everyone else trying to make the last hours count!