• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Raking

outdoors247

Is it too late to power rake or can a guy still do it now? I have a massive amount of dead thatch which would take forever to rake out.

If it's too late is there a better tool than a plastic leaf rake to remove some of the thatch? It just seems like the plastic rakes don't have the strength to really pull up that thatch.

BTW - It's not the whole yard but I do have some bigger areas (10'x10') that need dethatching badly. Lot's of dead grass matted to the ground in these areas.

Thanks!

Edited by outdoors247
Typo

I aerate my lawn every fall but still ended up with too much thatch. I didn't want to wait until fall so I picked up a dethatching rake and hit the areas that were the worst. I then overseeded the areas with the hopes that the cool wet weather in the near future will help the seed get going. Time will tell....

PG-1416_15.jpg

i have rented a machine like this from a local rental place and it worked great. certainly makes the job much easier than doing it all by hand. I know you mentioned you didnt need to do the whole yard but thought I would pass it on.

powerrakeblades.jpg

I don't bag my grass either, been using a mulcher mower for 20+ years. I just need to thatch where my dog has been making snow angels all winter with or without snow. That 90lb hound will compress some turf. :)

I've mentioned on here before how I mostly dethatch/loosen up my grass in the spring with a leaf blower.

If you grow and mow properly, (never cut more than a 1/2" off at a time) , aerate, and Spring and Fall rake, there's really no reason why you should have a thatch problem.......

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

If you grow and mow properly, (never cut more than a 1/2" off at a time) , aerate, and Spring and Fall rake, there's really no reason why you should have a thatch problem.......

Now you sound like my wife! :/

I'm more in the leaf blower and good enough camp like Duff! :lol:

On Friday, June 03, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Tom7227 said:

I don't rake or pick up the grass as I cut it and I don't have a thatch problem.  Why do you guys and I don't?

are-you-wizard.jpg

14 hours ago, RebelSS said:

1/2"? Isn't that a bit extreme? This time of year once I finish mowing I'd have to start over again if I wanted to mow only 1/2" at a time. 

That's turf guidelines...taking more overstresses the grass, say the experts. Personally, I think 1" max is OK. Even then I've been mowing every 4-5 days lately, and it really needs it sooner. Basic good rule to follow is cut as little off as possible during a mowing, and mow more often. Of course, depends on how much you're into the "perfect lawn" thing. ;)

Luckily I am not into the "perfect lawn" thing. The "lawn" of my property is about 2.5 acres and can take an entire afternoon to mow. I try to mow it once a week but even that doesn't always happen.

Thatch is usually the result of frequent watering at rates that do not penetrate the ground deep enough..  The shallow/surface watering causes the grass roots to grow over the surface of the soil that over time appear as thatch.  Grass clippings are 99% water and nutrients and do not cause thatch.  

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, Tom7227 said:

I don't rake or pick up the grass as I cut it and I don't have a thatch problem.  Why do you guys and I don't?

I'm wondering if it's the soil.  I've been researching thatch buildup as I have a lot as well.  We have mostly sand (I'm guessing Farmington is the same) and from what I've read, that soil lacks the microorganisms to "chew" up the thatch.  Does anyone know what chemical can be put down to counteract that?  I've tried putting lime down but that doesn't seem to help much.  I do know I MUST raise up my mower and stop cutting so darn short, and mow way more frequently...

On 5/5/2017 at 0:18 PM, chasineyes said:

I'm wondering if it's the soil.  I've been researching thatch buildup as I have a lot as well.  We have mostly sand (I'm guessing Farmington is the same) and from what I've read, that soil lacks the microorganisms to "chew" up the thatch.  Does anyone know what chemical can be put down to counteract that?  I've tried putting lime down but that doesn't seem to help much.  I do know I MUST raise up my mower and stop cutting so darn short, and mow way more frequently...

Did the google and this is what came up.  Check it out.  http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/turf/extension/factsheets/thatch