• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish labeling

A question here...I think RH and I had talked about it earlier.....and I'm still confused. Cub has a front page ad that states "Fresh Atlantic Salmon Fillets", and under it, says "farm raised'. I thought they couldn't label them as fresh Atlantic if they are "farm raised"...check out the ad. What's up with that? :confused:

4 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

A question here...I think RH and I had talked about it earlier.....and I'm still confused. Cub has a front page ad that states "Fresh Atlantic Salmon Fillets", and under it, says "farm raised'. I thought they couldn't label them as fresh Atlantic if they are "farm raised"...check out the ad. What's up with that? :confused:

see I don't have that issue...............I go catch my fish I eat!!!!!!!!!!!:P:D so there marked...........sunfish...........boneless nords or walleye!!!!!!!!!!;)

Edited by smurfy

16 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Well sad to say. They may or may not be Fresh (buyer beware). They are "Atlantic Salmon" breed of fish and they are fillets. At least they have to put Wild or Farm Raised on them now.

25 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I bet that the specie is "Atlantic Salmon" so even though that specie is raised not in the Atlantic Ocean it is ok but yes misleading.  "Fresh" refers to something probably not frozen?   To be accurate they would be:

"never frozen fish farm raised  that happen to be Atlantic Salmon"

1 hour ago, leechlake said:

the farm raised just have a little more dirt in them than the ocean ones...not a problem

Also...why aren't they "ranch" raised, that's confusing...

Farm raised fish of all types seem to be a little softer-mushier flesh. Probably from eating those pellets made of plant and Soylent Green from their relatives they feed them! :eek:

Just now, leech~~ said:

Farm raised fish of all types seem to be a little softer-mushier flesh. Probably from eating those pellets made of plant and Soylent Green from their relatives they feed them! :eek:

That's for sure...just like the farm raised shrimp. Ever eaten a Bass caught from the river in August? :sick:

So.....technically they are still raised in the ocean, just not free range so to speak.

"As currently practiced on a commercial scale, salmon farming in most regions involves the use of large floating open net-cage pens, usually located in sheltered bays along the coast."

2 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

Reb...you mean Rock Bass?

No, smallies.....I love fresh Rockies, but not smallies in the Summer. I was young, poor, and hungry at the time...:P

The majority of farm-raised salmon comes from Chile. They are Atlantic Salmon (species), but are raised in net enclosures in the South Pacific. Calling them "Fresh" doesn't have anything to do with the source (wild-caught vs farmed.)

The salmon Cub is selling is just the most commonly available farmed salmon.

If you want a good, cheap, wild alternative, buy a whole, frozen pink salmon. They are not as large, but they are delicious, wild-caught, cheap and abundant. Mercury content is too low to measure. The past few years, the pinks have been very good to commercial fisherman in Alaska. " Three of the top five Alaska salmon catches in the past century on record have occurred within the last decade, including the all-time record harvest of 282 million fish in 2013. "

They are underappreciated by consumers who just want the largest fillet they can find. Kicks farmed salmon's butt if you ask me.

Oh Lordie I am so happy to see someone who actually EATS pink salmon (humpies as we know them) A hungry brown bear will pass them up ever time for a nice chum or sockeye. A pal of mine started a pink "ranch" way back when and it is a multi-million dollar business now.  But I think you'd   have to put a gun to his head to make him actually EAT one.

But HEY!....I am delighted you like them.  They make a lot of money for a lot of guys who work hard.

They don't eat 'em either!   HA HA HA

Oh!   P.S.  A really excellent eating salmon is a white king,  caught in mid-May,  off Point Capon on the West side of Admiralty Island.   There are some other good eaters from other places but those are my favorites.

And all silliness aside, the Pink Salmon is an important part of Alaska's fishery.And they can be kick in the butt bunch of fun caught in the salt just off a stream mouth as they return.

The Pacific salmon,   all five species,   are fascinating animals.

Fish snobs everywhere.  Look how many Minnesotans won't eat anything but a walleye. Certainly not a Northern or Eelpout.

Atlantic salmon are closely related to brown trout, rather than the pacific salmon. 

Fresh means never frozen, although like turkey and chicken the definition of frozen seems a little counter intuitive. 

5 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Fish snobs everywhere.  Look how many Minnesotans won't eat anything but a walleye. Certainly not a Northern or Eelpout.

Atlantic salmon are closely related to brown trout, rather than the pacific salmon. 

Fresh means never frozen, although like turkey and chicken the definition of frozen seems a little counter intuitive. 

Reb and I are going to go walleye fishing this Summer and haul some Rock Bass out of our lake.  I've got a few Rock Bass hotspots that you can't keep em off the hook.  Sometimes the walleyes are there but once the rockies start biting the nuisance level rises and I move.  Second clearest lake in the state per the DNR so they gotta be good to eat.  

I used to fish in a reunion type of tourney on the Missouri an hour north of Chamberlain.  We caught lots of walleyes and every year more and more smallmouth.  They got bigger every year.  I mean lots of 3 lbers and up.  This was the first week in May every year so nice cold water.  We started cleaning them and cutting in chunks and putting them in beer batter and they were great.  We would bring the walleyes home with us.  There was always local guides cleaning their clients fish at the great fish cleaning facility there.  They would only clean walleyes and here are us goombas from MN filleting out the bass.   We thought it was hilarious.