• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ecoboost re gear.

I'm not sure if the OP has come back to this post, but I just wanted to add that with this warmer weather, MPG should have improved as long as his isn't brand new. I took two long drives over the last two days and averaged 20.1mpg with my truck that matches his exactly. I just wanted to throw it out there that there is still hope for him. I coulda done much better, but its hard to drive 60 on I-94.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with Powerstroke. I mentioned my numbers earlier in the thread on my winter driving, I'm now up a solid 2 mpg around town just with the warmer weather. So far all of my out of town driving has been with a trailer, but if I get an empty trip I fully expect I'll be back up in that 19-21 range which I was seeing last summer.

Not really. The window sticker was 16 or 17 & 21. Most people aren't too far off of that, once they are broken in, providing they don't drive it like a crotch rocket. I think for most guys, coming from a V8, have seen a substantial improvement. I'm easily up 5mpg average compared to my 5.4l with the exact same configuration. And I have WAY more power.

If I had an extended cab short box with 3.55 gears and regular mirrors, I would probably pick up another 1 mpg. That wold put me solidly over 20mpg for all highway driving.

I average high 17 to 18 for city driving in a crew cab, 6.5' box with 3.73 and tow mirrors and the heaviest tow package possible. ANy equally equipped pickup with a V-8 gets 18 at best and averages 14-16 in the city. I know, I've owned them and I drive them for work.

The ecoboost v-6 has completely lived up to its name in my opinion. It has remarkable power for the 3-5000 miles a year that I tow my camper or other trailers and the other 15000 miles I drive a year I'm getting 10-20% better mileage than my previously owned V-8 pickups and my diesel 1-tons.

Here is my Trip B that I started right around 11/1 when it got cold. 15,562 miles, and 1014 gallons, for 15.4mpg average. Some may not think that is good, but that includes about 1,500 miles of towing my fish house getting about 8mpg, and a lot of idle time every day.

IMG_3015_zpsckzbwsoc.jpg

If you're at 65K miles and this is your routine driving and it isn't getting better then I think you should take it in. Top things are to check are air in the tires and your air filter. Outside of that, their may be something wrong.

I wouldn't be happy with that mileage.

I just checked my tracking fuel log and over the last 5000 miles I've gotten an average of 15.51 mpg. My worst tank was 12.85mpg.

If you are solely basing your mileage off what the dash tells you that is a huge mistake. They may be close, but they are no way 100% accurate. The only true way to know what your mileage is by calculating it using the amount of fuel it truly takes to fill the tank each time. Not what the dreamometer tells you.

Im not saying that your number is high because it could certainly be low. I have checked mine and it was off by over a gallon at times (fuel used not MPG).

Jot your down gallons at each fillup and then calculate mileage and compare to the dash. I do and its not very accurate.

Mine was calculated by every fill up and by log I mean the log I keep track of in my phone. Each fill up has been logged by both gallons, miles and cost. One of the many ways I've proven my ecoboost has been a better choice than the diesel I owned previously.

Mine was calculated by every fill up and by log I mean the log I keep track of in my phone. Each fill up has been logged by both gallons, miles and cost. One of the many ways I've proven my ecoboost has been a better choice than the diesel I owned previously.

I'm actually going the opposite direction...trading the Ecoboost for a Duramax tomorrow. I decided to get a new truck and was at $51k (selling price) for a 2015 Ecoboost to my configuration, and just a touch over $53k for the Duramax with the same options. Love the Ecoboost, and Ford in general, but I'm not spending $51k on a half ton. I think I'll be pretty close on mileage empty, and probably near twice as good towing (not that I tow all that much). We'll see....it's an experiment.

One thing I was impressed with was 110k on my Ecoboost with virtually zero problems. I did front brakes, spark plugs, and serpentine belt around 90k. The only true problem I had was my coil pack around 95k which also took out two of the new spark plugs. I think my total cost (aside from wear items and general maintenance) was under $400 in 49 months of ownership. I'll take that any day!

Good luck with your new Duramax. I don't know anything about the Duramax. I don't think your mileage will be as good as you think, but I know thats not your only motivation. I'll end up with a diesel again someday too, but for now its not needed.

I drive a 2015 duramax daily and pull heavy loads on occasion as well and the best I have ever gotten with it is a 19 mpg hand calculated tank and that was driving empty highway miles. I generally put 1500-2000 miles a week in the log book and had a Cummins before that. The Chevy is quieter and feels more like a car if you like that. The Cummins had better towing torque and I consistently got better hand calculated mpg with it (3-4) .Quite a few issues with the truck for being brand new as well. All in all for a few grand I would agree that the duranax would be better than the ecoboost imo . But it would not be my first choice either.

Yep just took a trip to southern Iowa and here is my dream calculator which was actually off by .1 mpg compared to hand calculations. Sorry I don't know why the picture is turned. If someone who knows how could turn it right side up that would be great. But 4 guys, equipment and three coolers packed full. 2011 ecoboost, 373 gears, crew cab short box. Set the cruise at 62 mph and 23 mpg round trip. This former GMC AFM oil burner Fords suck, will never return until they get an EcoBoost.

full-243-54819-untitled_1.png

Planning to pick up a '15 max tow and just read through this.

I found this interesting, the 3.5 eccoboost is not availabe with 3.73 this year. 3.55 is the lowest ratio.

There are two good updates this year. They fixed the stupid turn signal switch to operate like a normal switch. I hated that in the previous models. And you can order the tow mirrors without getting max tow. Although I still opted for the bigger cooling of the max tow.

After reading this I can assume that my mileage will not increase from my current '03 5.4. Based on the comparison of how I drive versus descriptions here, I can't imagine only driving 65mph down a freeway. How old are you guys? Ha. laugh

Last I checked, five years ago(?), I was getting in the mid 12's per gallon, normal hiway driving in town. I lied to myself and rounded it up to 13 to feel better about it.

I decided not to ever look again after that.

I will be happy as punch if I can average 14 or 15mpg and have more torque. That would be 11% - 20% increase over today's results.

Last I checked, five years ago(?), I was getting in the mid 12's per gallon, normal hiway driving in town. I lied to myself and rounded it up to 13 to feel better about it.

I will be happy as punch if I can average 14 or 15mpg and have more torque. That would be 11% - 20% increase over today's results.

You'll be happy then with those real world expectations.

You should easily be able to squeeze out 14 or 15 empty. I think you'd have to try pretty hard to get under 16 average, aside from winter.

How are everyones tires on there newer F150? Mine are cupping(2012 F150) on the inside of the fronts? ANyone else having problems? is there a fix?

Since my tires are in tough shape…….What brand is everyone getting for there second set of tires?

Thanks Guys

How are everyones tires on there newer F150? Mine are cupping(2012 F150) on the inside of the fronts? ANyone else having problems? is there a fix?

Since my tires are in tough shape…….What brand is everyone getting for there second set of tires?

Thanks Guys

If your tires are cupping, have you had an alignment done on it yet? How often do you rotate the tires? Do you do a lot of clover leafs? How many miles are on it?

Scott K

No alignment done yet. I rotate every other oil change….. so every 6000 miles some times I forget and it hits 7000 miles MAYBE but not more.

My wife has been driving it this winter and it has 43-44000 miles. Last oil change dealer said…..yep every f150 for years has the front tires that cup! I could buy a $250-$350 (can't remember) part from Ford and it MIGHT help the problem.

That dealer was close to my wife's work and not where I bought the truck from so I haven't asked MY dealer yet.