• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Buddy Heater grill conversion (with pictures)

MNCPRGUY

I must admit, the idea to cook on my buddy heater was original, but I certainly wasn't the only one to have it. I did a Google search using a few key words and assembled my cooker based on those ideas.

The grill was made for about $5, requires no tools to assemble, and only weighs a couple of ounces. A trip to the local hardware store and 10 minutes of your time will increase your cooking options considerably.

full-27861-25793-1paintgrate.jpg

This is what the grates look like. I found them in the paint section. They come in two sizes. The small one (pictured) is used for the front support while the larger size is used for the top.

full-27861-25794-2modified.jpg

The front grate just needed a small modification so it would snap onto the front of the heater.

full-27861-25795-5frontgrate.jpg

full-27861-25796-6frontgrate.jpg

It is held in place by friction and tension alone.

full-27861-25797-3topgrate.jpg

full-27861-25798-4topgrate.jpg

I bent the sides of the top grate to make it narrow enough to slide under the heater handle and add some rigidity. The tabs were rolled to fit onto the buddy heater carrying handle.

full-27861-25799-7topgrate.jpg

full-27861-25800-8topgrate.jpg

That's it. You're ready to cook!

full-27861-25801-10pan.jpg

I cook everything in aluminum pans. To cook directly on the grate would likely result in food drippings on your heater. Covering the pan with aluminum foil helps to distribute the heat but also holds in moisture.

Make sure there is space between the pan and the heater handle or it will melt.

full-27861-25802-11lunch.jpg

My idea of a sack lunch for a day on the ice.

full-27861-25803-12hotlunch.jpg

There is a definite hot spot so you need to move things around every couple of minutes.

Say goodbye to bologna sandwiches for ever! Nothing hits the spot quite like a hot meal on a cold day.

I have made a cooking grate for my Big Buddy before to cook on. One tip is to have the grate angled upward in the front to help the heat push away from the heater. I melted my handle on my Big Buddy because I had the grate/pan angled like yours. Otherwise it worked great for beer brats. Nice mod.

Awesome idea man. Pizza roles in the ole Otter is going to be awesome. Maybe even some hamburgers, steaks and brauts. Thanks for the good tip.

Becareful cooking greesy food inside a shelter over an open flame, if the grease finds a hole, and starts dripping into the fire, it will flame up big time.

I guess my only concern is that the racks are galvanized. I wonder about the heat over time, or even right away giving off toxic fumes. I'll have to look into safe temps for galvanized material.

Edit: Looks like it starts becoming an issue around 900C, or 1650F. I'm pretty sure it's fine. Hey, I had to make sure. I've welded the stuff and know how toxic it can be.

Whats in pizza roles and hot pockets seems like more of a concern than toxic fumes smile !

Unless you have actually have been sick from galvanize fumes... I would take food poisoning or a little gas from hot pockets over galvanizing poisoning any day....

I agree though great setup.

Looks great. I wrap veni brats in aluminum foil and cook them on top of my big buddy heater. I do have a few juice stains on it wink

Also have gone the pan on a portable LP stove route. Looks pretty funny when all the steam fills up the porty. Looks like cheech and chong went ice fishing. grin

I guess my only concern is that the racks are galvanized. I wonder about the heat over time, or even right away giving off toxic fumes. I'll have to look into safe temps for galvanized material.

Edit: Looks like it starts becoming an issue around 900C, or 1650F. I'm pretty sure it's fine. Hey, I had to make sure. I've welded the stuff and know how toxic it can be.

I hadn't even considered the potential for toxic fumes! Thanks for looking into this further. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Typically these paint screens are aluminum rather than galvanized steel. Other than the possible flare up if grease gets on the heater I dont think there is a problem with cooking on them. I would make sure they are aluminum though.

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

It looks like a hot lunch to me. laugh

Even with the food in the pan, the Mr. Heater is very stable and would need an external force for it to become a disaster, in which case the cooking grate is a non-factor. wink