• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

!@#$%*&*!!! Squirrels!!

8-Ball

Looking for advice as to how to keep squirrels out of flowers? They are digging up the wifes flowers and raising hell..Anything specifically for squirrels anyone can recommend? Thx-8-Ball

Blowgun, slingshot, and air rifles all seem to work well :P

Seriously though, if anyone has any suggestions for something that would be more appropriate for living in the city than wielding death on a stick, I'd love to hear it as well, dang squirrels keep digging up our herbs we're trying to grow in pots out back.

here is what it says in my pest book.

HOT PEPPER SPRAY

if you prepare a spray made from pueed hot peppers and dilute it with water, then add a few drops of evory liquid soap and spray it on plants that the squirrels are frequenting it will keep them away. also a small amount of used cat litter also works. good luck.

I am going to buy some no powder 22 shells and I am going to blast the little buggers to kingdomcom. Planted sweet peas 4 times now. I am using black pepper around the perimeter but it needs to be reapplied after rain. Saw a fat rabbit outside tonight that had pea breath. Todays rabbit is going to be tomorrows hassenpheper

I had a problem similar to yours a few years back. I used a live trap and you can use your imagination on what came after that. After two or three of those the problem seemed to disappear.

A big dog helps, so does a pellet gun.

If that's not an option, here's something kinda cool that works and provides some entertainment. Find a spot away from the peas and flowers you want to protect, yet within view of a window cuz it's cool to watch. Drive a post or stake or something into the ground. From this post bungee cord a couple ears of corn hanging down so they're aboot 2 feet from the ground. The little rodents will jump up to get the corn and it's funny as heck to watch them bounce around.

It's kind of like having a puppy. Fish gotta swim, bird gotta fly, wife gotta nag, and puppy gotta chew. If you don't little rover chewing your shoes you have to give him a rawhide bone to chew on. If you don't have a big dog and a gun is out of the question, feed em something else somewhere else.....and have a little fun with it.

Here's an end all for the spuirrels. I use it only when they get in my garage or roof. I use a Rat trap, hot glue either peanuts or whole corn to the trigger and around the trigger. To keep the dogs out, I put a milk crate over it. Lady next door had a red in her rafters and making lots of noise and damage. Her hubby put the trap up and the next day, "mission accomplish". She never found out about the trap...

Capt. Dave

Squirrels are no doubt watching your wife plant. The little buggers think that she is hiding nuts. While planting after they go to sleep is not an option because of the bugs.....and what woman wants to work in the garden when its not sunny and nice?.....you can keep them away. There is a product called Critter Ritter. The active ingredient is black pepper oil. The other 99% is sand.

It costs $20 at the hardware store. Instead get yourself a pail of sand. Then get one of those giant containers of black pepper that you see at sam's club for $5. Add enough corn oil to make the pepper stick to the sand and you have your own product at a fraction of the cost. You can even add in some cayenne pepper to make it stronger but that stuff is a little pricier. Every time you plant something outdoors, sprinkle some around the plant and squirrels will learn quickly that what you are planting is something that they will avoid. It works best when they see you leave right after you have planted. Go in the house and watch.

I actually enjoy having them around. Twenty years ago I planted about a half-dozen black walnut trees on our lawn and this has surely brought the red squirrels around. I've never seen them digging and actually didn't know they did this. We do have a dog so maybe she keeps this problem under control. Our biggest problem has been that they like to raid the bird feeder. About two weeks ago I put up a squirrel log made of compact cornmeal and other ingredients and this seems to help keep them away from the bird feeder a little bit. They still get into it but I don't mind it so much.

You can borrow my beagles. One finally got one the other day and I felt a sense of pride for him. He's been barking and chasing those things for the past two years since we got him and finally, this dog had his day. But in all seriousness, that a homemade pepper spray won't harm your plants will it? If not, I'd love to try that to keep my beagles the heck out of my garden. They have a tendency to roll on the plants they like every now and then, which happen to usually be flowers of my wife's.

LOL!! well before anyone blows up the neighborhood try this. i have been using 20 pound test mono. i throw a weight with line atached over a branch and then tie both ends together onto the feeder of choice. making sure that the feeder is far enough from the main tree and off the ground so they cant jump on the feeder. it has to be at a location suspended so basicly none can jump on it. never had a squirel on the feeders yet. good luck.