• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New ND state record Channel!

TylerS

Caught by a women from West Fargo fishing Moon Lake: 42 lbs, 1 oz.

Here's a link to a picture (albeit a poor one) of the fish: http://www.kfgo.com/JackSandy.php

UPDATE (Better photo and story): http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/127906/

Sounds like the NDG&F confirmed that it is, infact, the new state record, eclipsing the old record of 33 lbs, 4 oz caught in 1991.

I'm sure they have plenty of pics, they'll be coming around soon enough. Might have given an exclusive photo shoot to a magazine or something...don't celebrities do that with their kids and whatnot?

I wouldn't doubt that you'd see a replica in one (or more) cabelas stores as well.

Man, 42 lbs, I can't imagine a channel cat that big. OOOf duh.

That is an old..old kitty. They have planted channel cats in Moon Lake for years and she is likely to be an early transplant from genetic stock taken from the Red River or early fingerling stock from the hatchery.

I expected a new state record this season, but very honestly, Moon Lake was not on my radar as the likely candidate to produce it. Although I knew there were big old adult kittys in there, yet a 42 class is an exceptional channel cat no matter where you fish.

I know Toby, here boyfriend, and they both enjoy catfishing, so I'm happy for her success and congratulate her on the new record channel catfish.

Get this guys and galls...the preliminary report said...that kitty had just spawned...so imagine that....now add a few more fat Mama chubby Lb's to that sumo just a few weeks back...UF-DA!!!

Just Imagine that...Eh?

crazy

Backwater,

It is my understanding that it is very, very rare for channel cats to lay there eggs in a small lake. Everything that I have read states that they would actually just start to consume their own eggs. Who knows.... Is this preliminary report coming from FWP?

I think that depends greatly on the environmental conditions and the season. Catfish are extremely adaptable critters.

Commercial channel catfish farms raise stock successfully in a far less appealing pond environment with truck tires as nesting sites..so I'm sure a wise old kitty with a plan can manage on a diverse lake like Moon. Granted they often harvest the fertilized egg mass and incubate them in a ideal tank enclosure to insure optimum hatch rates. Yet there appears to be a diverse year class represented in Moon Lake..how much from stocking alone..not sure. I suspect something is going on there.

All I know so far is the fisheries biologist at the NDG&F initially termed her a spawned out female. If I hear more I'll be sure to post it.