• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your favorite pike lures?

I'll follow this question with another question:

What lure would you say, for every hour spent in the water, has caught the biggest average pike for ya? I've probably spent more hours fishing with a spinnerbait, but when I'm ripping a suick I can count on at least a couple nice fish in a day. With the spinnerbait I'll catch 4x as many fish, though, with a chance at a big girl.

Hard to say because I know a lake that simply has a lot of big pike and the depth limits lure choices. Big Husky J3rks, small muskie bucks, larger spoons, big soft plastic swimbaits have all done really well for me though in terms of numbers of 5lb+ fish.

recently I had the opportunity to do pike fishing with the family over the course of a week of vacation, and I have to say that I've been completely taken off-guard on how well a particular lure brought in some seriously nice pike, 7 fish from 30-37 inches and maybe two dozen smaller ones, with my three heaviest pike being probably 12-15lbs.

I also happened to catch two musky on it, ~30 incher and a 44 incher.

What lure might this be, you ask, that surprised me so?

Believe it or not, 80% of my pike caught on this trip, includinig all my big ones (except two 35ers that hit on a yellow mepps), were caught on 5'' yamamoto senkos. Just wacky rigged senkos, watermelon colored. Twitch a few times, let it fall, twitch a few more times, let it fall. Work it through weeds, toss it on fallen trees, or drift cast weedlines/reefs working it as deep as 10 feet(deeper requires slower retrieve). Even fast jigging it across the water's surface produced a couple of hungry pike. Absolutely my best producer that week.

I had never fished senkos before, but I'm absolutely convinced that if people just think of them typically as a bass bait, they should reconsider their potential for other hungry predators as well, especially big'uns in early to mid season fishing.

Senkos have made it into my list of favorite lures for this season so far, further testing will see if results continue to be good.

The kicker was I wasn't using wire leader at all on this trip! I was tying my own leader with 25lb fluoro(for trout fishing), and after an unintentional musky catch that the fluoro stood up to, I decided to try it in other fishing situations as well. I'm pleased to say, not a single bite off the entire trip, and believe me there were times when the fluoro was definitely in the mouth of toothy critters. I've been 100% sold on using it for bite protection, but I wouldn't go any lighter than 20lb if I might run into northerns.

hey pink, I know you live next to twin. If you like pike, don't be afraid to head over to Medicine. There's alot more decent sized pike in there. I'd say a 27" is about a daily occurance out there for a full day of fishing, with a legit shot at a fish over 35"

That is what is great about northern fishing. You can literally catch them on anything. This summer I have been a big fan of Rapalas. Caught several on the original floater perch patterned, and lately have had some nice fish and even a musky on a DT fat01 and DTfat03. The jointed rapala has been a good bait too. Caught a 26" walleye on that too.