• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your 4wheeler choice and why

Tyler23

From my experience I would never own a Polaris. Too many stories and first-hand accounts of problems with them. Search this site and you'll see for yourself. [/quote I get tired of people that put down the quality of american products. If you don't like a product don't buy it, but if its made in the USA don't go out of your way to help drag them down. I don't own a polaris but I know a lot of people that like them. One good polaris bashing blog may cause 20 people not to buy one that may be enough to cause one good american to lose thier job.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a new ATV last fall. I had no preconceived notions about them because frankly I did not know much about them and never owned one before. All I can say is do your homework and test drive each and every one of them in the class you are looking to buy in. You will be amazed at the differences in technology, ride, suspension, power, speed etc.

I found this list helpful when I was doing my research.

Legacy Technology_______________________________________New Technology

Carburetion_____________________________________________Electronic fuel injection

Mechanical steering assemblies__________________________Electric power steering

Incandescent tail/brake lights__________________________LED tail lights

Manual-clutch transmissions_____________________________CVTs

Straight rear axles_____________________________________Independent rear suspension

Disc and drum brakes____________________________________Fluid shear brakes

Cable-driven mech. speedometers_________________________Elect. instrument clusters

Whats a joke is that if you escape outside of minnesota polaris atv's are not popular. The only reason for its popularity and loyalty is because its manufactured here. Being originally from another state I think its rather humorous as to how people in mn view Polaris. It has nothing to do with quality or anything. Those atv magazine awards are a joke. They are the same thing as the car magazines doing the same thing. All of those publications are paid for by the manufacturer. I can go dig up atv awards for everything that has been made.

If a certain brand is what suits your fancy then go buy it, ride it, and be happy with it. I have had enough seat time on most machines to reach a conclusion on what suits my needs and likes. Each atv has its benefits depending on your riding style. Do enough research and you will reach a decision. For me I wanted something that was fast, sporty, and had alot of low end power so a brute fit my needs.

I saw those same 2007 numbers and I looked at the 2005 numbers that were published and they were the exact same. I didnt mean to hijack your list but I dont think they are very updated. I will try to find some more updated numbers

If you were to read magazines and listen to what they say, you'd be mislead almost everytime. I swear the mags get paid by the atv manufacturer? Polaris supposedly has a 5000 mile belt on the new XP models,yet there are several people on another forum that have wrecked several belts with hardly any miles on them, kinda like their lifetime belt warranty! crazy Honda is known for their reliability, how else could they keep selling so many atv's with little changes to them for so many years. Having a wheeler that will take a lickin and keep on ticking is a #1 priority to alot of sportsmen out there. Remember this saying... Polaris the way out..... Walking, your way home!! grin I'm just razzing everybody so don't take offense to my post!

I agree jltimm. I will never let a magazine influence my decision on what machine to buy. No matter what magazine you read, they all pay the bills with manufacturer ads. The more they advertise, the more their machines are glorified.

But I will also say that every mfgr out there makes a great machine. Look back to when Suzuki introduced the LT125 4x6. Basically no suspension, poor handling, notchy shifting, drum brakes nad the list goes on. Now compare that to the machines of today.

When I was looking for an ATV I went to the dealerships and got the brochures for the brands that they sold and studied all the brands that were for sale locally. I talked to mechanics that work on ATVs, motorcycles and snowmobiles. I talked to other people that have ATVs and surfed the net looking at ATV forums. I also decided to not buy from a dealership that would badmouth the other brands which eliminated two of them right away. Also one of them decided to be an arrogant jerk while I was working in the utility right of away behind his dealershop which gave him two strikes against him. If ya want to sell me a new ATV, you don't walk out back and chew my butt because I'm doing my job. While I was looking at another brand, a guy came in and bought a new ATV that had been to the other dealerships and didn't like the way a couple of them badmouthed the other brands. A few days later I was back looking at them again at the same place and a guy pulled in and bought a new one and kept his old one for his son to use on their farm. I bought the one that I thought would be best for me and it has worked out great for me. It was also the brand that I saw very few of on any dealership lots except the one that sold that brand, which had a quite a few of them that had been traded for a new model of the same brand. These things speak for themselves if you look for the clues. I don't do any trail rideng because we don't have trails around here. I use it for hunting, fishing and ice fishing. I don't have to have the biggest engine that I can find and I don't need the fastest machine on the planet. I just wanted something that would do the things that I require. I also have a friend that says no one will ever put a big enough engine in an ATV to satisfy him. lol

When I was looking for an ATV I went to the dealerships and got the brochures for the brands that they sold and studied all the brands that were for sale locally. I talked to mechanics that work on ATVs, motorcycles and snowmobiles. I talked to other people that have ATVs and surfed the net looking at ATV forums. I also decided to not buy from a dealership that would badmouth the other brands which eliminated two of them right away. Also one of them decided to be an arrogant jerk while I was working in the utility right of away behind his dealershop which gave him two strikes against him. If ya want to sell me a new ATV, you don't walk out back and chew my butt because I'm doing my job. While I was looking at another brand, a guy came in and bought a new ATV that had been to the other dealerships and didn't like the way a couple of them badmouthed the other brands. A few days later I was back looking at them again at the same place and a guy pulled in and bought a new one and kept his old one for his son to use on their farm. I bought the one that I thought would be best for me and it has worked out great for me. It was also the brand that I saw very few of on any dealership lots except the one that sold that brand, which had a quite a few of them that had been traded for a new model of the same brand. These things speak for themselves if you look for the clues. I don't do any trail rideng because we don't have trails around here. I use it for hunting, fishing and ice fishing. I don't have to have the biggest engine that I can find and I don't need the fastest machine on the planet. I just wanted something that would do the things that I require. I also have a friend that says no one will ever put a big enough engine in an ATV to satisfy him. lol

And out of all of that, not once did you specify one brand. wink

Great Post.

It's not about Brand X, Y or Z. It's the one that does what you want it to the best that counts.

I wont bash Honda but they have been the least innovative and have made relatively no advancements since then.

Theres no need to when Honda's stuff works and keeps on working. The others have to keep changing, their trying to keep up gringringrin

" Honda, best on earth "

""Looks aint what gets you down the trail and the company I spend money with owes me a good product"

Your right, looks don't get you down the trail, but when your spending that much money why not get dependibility and looks and support your own country and neighbors??

Honda does make great engines but in the 4x4 class they are very underpowered and they suck in the mud because of the tranny. Honda's dont have diff lock like most and when they get into thick mud they dont have the ability to spin the tires like the rest. If I didnt want a 4 wheeler to mud and have gobs of power I would buy a honda.

I got dependability when I bought a Honda, it looks good to me and if I thought, (again my opinion), the others made here were as good, I would by one. A bunch of people in South Carolina (1 of 12 north American plants) are glad I chose Honda. Build a better product and people will buy it, the exact reason I will never buy another pick up made in Dearborn Michigan.

OK guys. Let's clear something up. All of the Japanese manufacturers build some of their products here the states.

FYI:

Yamaha-California

Kawasaki-Nebraska

Honda-Georgia

Suzuki-Georgia

From my purchasing experience i've been told by many dealers, who also sold polaris, not to buy polaris! Go with a Can am, kawi, or yamaha grizzly! I went with the kawi 650 brute v-twin cause i was most impressed with it when i tested them all!! The Kawi v-twin is tough to beat!! All u need to do is ride one and you will fall in love!!

Another thing is what everyone doesnt take into consideration is that a lot of parts on polaris and arctic cat are japanese parts. I do understand that you want to support U.S. jobs but companies like honda, yahaha, kawasaki, and suzuki employ alot more americans that ac and polaris do.

Yeah, I get sick of hearing the buy American thing also. Especially since several of polaris's engines are Fuji. Let's face it, most everything now is made from all over the world. Another thing to: I don't care where anything is made, but if it's a good quality product I will buy it.

I stared with Yammahas in the early 80's,( 3 Wheelers) Went to Polaris in the 90's ( 4x4 Quad) and when I buy another I won't look any farther than Polaris. They have always served my needs and given me little to no problems.

Originally Posted By: cold one sd

And out of all of that, not once did you specify one brand. wink

Great Post.

It's not about Brand X, Y or Z. It's the one that does what you want it to the best that counts.

Exactly!!!