• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little action today.

The background for this pheasant, sure isn't very complmentary. However, it is nice to get clouds in the sky, for a change.

3368744475_b5f9b6293a_o.jpg

3369570478_18cca8a573_o.jpg

3368744129_90453d9285_o.jpg

3368744177_3cb69e1395_o.jpg

3369570630_fe6f84a36f_o.jpg

3369570700_559d0e2a22_o.jpg

I'd sure the heck like to know what this is. It was almost 40 degrees today, so I doubt that it's a sun dog.

3369570352_2a5356b95d_o.jpg

Sun dog. It's much colder above the ground (on average about 5 degrees colder for every thousand feet)and there certainly is a chance for ice crystals in the air.

Very nice--once again. You get eagles--I got Canada Geese, oh yay. Just learned how to open in exif after reading someone's comment on good exposure. Should have figured that out month's ago, it might actually have helped.

Nice work X! And Don its actually 5.5F per thousand for the dry adiabatic lapse rate and 3F for the moist lapse rate smilesmile:)(weather modification and cloud physics training) It is sunlight shining through cirriform clouds high in the atmosphere(comprised of ice crystals) that gives you the halo. You asked wink

Nice work X! And Don its actually 5.5F per thousand for the dry adiabatic lapse rate and 3F for the moist lapse rate smilesmile:)(weather modification and cloud physics training) It is sunlight shining through cirriform clouds high in the atmosphere(comprised of ice crystals) that gives you the halo. You asked wink

WOW! And to think I just came up with the 5 degrees from many hours logged in a skydiving plane years ago. Now I know. I think. crazyconfused I never even heard of an adiabatic lapse rate.

The difference between the two adiabatic lapse rates is what causes instability in the atmosphere, think thunderstorms. In basic terms adiabatic means changes in temperature caused by changes in pressure. Those photos you've seen releasing a balloon into the atmosphere, that is how they find the temps. All plotted on a skew-T diagram. There you find K index's and Lifted index's which gives you a reasonable idea if you will have severe weather. Need I go on? gringringrin

Very nice images, great underwing details in the eagle flight shots, the third in the sequence is very compelling with that look back at you! I also enjoy how you composed the sun dog image. Nice work.

Dan, you must be a blast at parties! winklaugh Now I know what you and Yakfisher meant when you were talking about getting pilots together.

LOL, now that is funny!!! gringringrin You know I just couldn't resist!

Thanks everyone.

This may come as a shocker, but I've actually just about had my fill of bald eagles. shocked I didn't think I'd ever say that. I've taken so many pictures of these gorgeous raptors in the last couple weeks, that I don't know what more I would want, other than one in the act of catching a fish. I just had an email regarding about 100 bald eagles on a frozen slough about 30 miles from here, and I'm actually thinking of passing on it. Then again, I suppose a shot of one eating a fish on the ice, would be something new. I have got to come up with something new to chase. Any ideas? smile