• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Catfish Photo Gallery

HotPocket

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice fish! I'm gonna have to give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Still waiting for my lilacs to bloom among other things. Gonna be awhile. grin

Catching a early season flat at Red Wing is not uncommon at all. Walleye guys have lots of fun with 40-50lb "accidentals" on walleye gear. I'm curious what the estimated odds are, because they are pretty decent.

Now also remember that Mr Special has a knack for awesome accidental catches as well. I remember a big flatty from the sturgeon community hole on the St Croix a few years back.

Nice fish dude!

Thanks for posting the pic Elwood.

Sorry for the late post,

I was pitching for wallys with a 1/4oz Evert’s chartreuse/ oyster shell ringworm in 10 fow on a current seam. I’ve seen many accidently snag flats this time of yr and have snagged a few myself in past yrs.

However, this piggy engulfed the whole setup, the jig was actually past the gills and the hook was embedded on the underside of its right gill plate. For the 1st minute or so, I don’t think she knew she was hooked. When she realized she was hooked, she dove under the boat and headed for fast current. Luckily for me I was using 4/15 Pp and those jigs have very strong hooks. I was able to keep her out of the fast current and got her in the boat within 5-7mins. Still a longer fight then I wanted it to be, but she swam off with an attitude after giving me my 1st rash of the year and trying to break my arm boat side.

blakeb,

The sturgeon community hole is on the Croix at Bayport during the sturgeon season. You can’t miss it, just look for the sea of anchored boats come late September.

Sorry Dtro I forgot to blur out the background. Lol

The channels are biting, fresh cut suckers has been my best bait and they are hitting hard as well. I was fishing outside bends in 5’-7’fow.

With that said, I do seem to have more accidental catches then most folks and it has paid off to be just plain Ole LUCKY for me. Our seasons just starting gang, so let the pics keep on coming in.

yes and no I have caught channel were i have caught flats but not during the same time period some times its just a few feet away from each other like the flat will be right in front of the logs and the channels will be on the outside edge of the current break now in these types of spots we have caught them at the same time