• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where to find 2 lb crappies

matthothand

Im on a sort of mission. A quest for 2 lb crappies. We got a few this year up to 15 1/12 inches on URL this year but that's just not the same trip it was anymore and I'm just not interested in that lake now. I'm heading up to the Squaw Lake area for the weekend and have a list of lakes to fish already. 2 lbs is actually just an arbitrary number. I'm just out to get any crappie around over 13" for some pictures and a fight. I'll eat a muskie if I'm hungry. The list includes cutfoot, bowstring, dunbar, sioux, maple, and maybe ballclub. If you were after a legit big crappie where would you go? Maybe just a place you would like to try? If you want to keep a secret a secret then um yeah. Do it. Instead, pick a region of the state or a county that you think puts out the best size crappies. I think the best bets for big slabs are lakes in the ottertail area and winnie to URL zone, but I haven't fished every lake in the state...yet.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try little ball club over big ball club...not sure on the 2lb crappies......tuff fish to catch but you just might be rewarded for your efforts on LBC.....otherwise if I had to choose a region of the state to fish I would probably choose the detroit lakes area.....always seem to hear of nicer panfish coming from that area....

URL is where I will still go, sometimes they're hard to find but not as easy as before, I like it like that sometimes. More rewarding to me. The lakes you mentioned in the Squaw Lake area, I don't know about these lakes but know the one in Squaw Lake, is pretty good fish'n! Good Luck.

I know of a few smaller lakes in that area that produce fish like that, which i won't mention, but of the bigger lakes in the area i'd definitely include Sand and Bowstring. I've never found the crappies in Sand in the winter, but in the spring we get some monsters. Bowstring has 'em, not in the numbers that it use to, but if ya fish hard you should pull a few over 15" every year outta there. I don't give out spots, that's for you to find!

BTW, as far as a region, i've caught most of my big crappies in Itasca County, but that's where i use to did most of my fishing growing up. Now i'm stuck in the metro and a 13" crappie is something that happens maybe 3x a season

Consistent crappies around 2 lb.. A dream would be the first place to go. Arkabutla, Sardis, and a few others in Mississippi would be second. In MN if URL isn't doing it for ya Rainey and LOW would be about your only other options. If you do catch a limit of MN 2lb. Crappies please post a picture. If anyone claims to have done it lately please post your pics too.

Seen over 8 crappies this year go over the 13" mark with two going 16" and 17" those were caught by my dad and the 13"s by myself and a friend...these came from Southern MN on a lake about 900acres in the dead of night in less than 7fow on huge shiners....that's not your typical arsenal to catching slabs but it worked...the 17 was released so maybe next year i can get it...

WW, I believe I know the lake you speak of. How many big fish did you get and have things been heating up out there with the flow picking up? I was once told you could sit out there for a week straight and only get one fish, but if you got one it would be 15-17"

...under my hole

But seriously, find some small unpressured lakes that hardly anyone fishes and give it a try. Trial and error!

When trying a lake like that a good way to find out if slabs are in there is to troll around with small spinnerbaits and small rapalas where you might think crappies are. If there are enough slabs in the lake your trying, you should get one eventually.

Well this lake isn't hooked up to a river system if that's what your referring too but its a great bass lake that has trophy walleye to boot....Fished it heavy this year with Shiners and caught the most(10) 18-21" bass ive ever caught through the ice and then these huge slabs would wonder through in 5-9fow and hammer a shiner in the dead of night...heres a 16"CPR from last year off that lake....

01-03-08-2.jpg