• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am Selling Help??

CrappieBart

Hi, I am selling my old ATV because I bought a new one. I have a buyer, don't know the people but they seem honest and I have accepted their offer. They want to pick the ATV up this wednesday but tell me I can't cash the check til this weekend. Is there a form or agreement I should put together and make them sign, does anyone have a form I could use or should I just trust them or tell them they must have the cash or no ATV?

Thanks, Bart

I agree. Once they have the ATV, if they neglect to come good on the check, it can be nearly impossible to collect and expensive if you try.

With that said, I've been in your buyer's position and can understand their point. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, what would be their motive? Perhaps they have some funds coming in that they expect on that date but want you to hold the ATV for them so they don't miss out on the sale.

This can still be acheived if they can give you some cash down and ask that you hold it until then similar to putting earnest money down on a house. Naturally, you would be taking the ATV off the market for those few days and that is worth something so you could offer this opportunity with the condition that the money is non-refundable but will be applied toward the purchase if they come through with the funds. If that's not adequate they could always just take their chances that you won't sell it by the designated time.

If they are serious, they'll ante up.

edit: If you're just talking a few days, the down-payment shouldn't have to be too large. Just large enough to make it worth their while to return and make the purchase.

Bob

Absolutely, no cash, no wheeler. if you can't cash the check til the weekend, they can't pick it up til the weekend. I'd also either take only a cashiers check, or make sure you do the transaction during business hours and call the bank to verify the funds. if they are legit, they won't have a problem with it. come to think of it, there are alot of fake cashiers checks also. a personal check with a call to the bank to verify might be the way to go.

Cash and only cash! Cashiers checks are easily forged. If they have the money it should be no problem for them to get cash! I wouldnt be a bad idea to have one of those markers they use for checking for fake bills. I have one, people look at you kinda strange when you pull it out of your pocket but nowadays you cant be too carefull. I would never accept anything but cash!

CASH ONLY. If they are not comfortable carrying that much cash you could always meet them at their bank to complete the transaction, they can easily get a cashiers check and hand it to you there, provides safety and security for all involved.

I would also make a photocopy of the purchasers driver's liscense. I have done so on any check purchases. If they don't feel comfortable with that their is probably reason to suspect them as a buyer.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. They say they will be getting thier tax rebates this weekend but I am waiting til I see the cash. Nice guys get burned, thanks.

Bart

You're making the right decision Bart.

good job. like said before no cash no deal. we just had a guy recently tring to buy this old trumpet but would only use mail order? SKAM! i gave him a ear full and there plenty more where that came from

I sold a 4 wheeler this summer, i was workin out of town and my wife was on vacation. talked to the Gent on the phone, he went to my place to test ride it. He called me back, left a check and took it home. THe check was right where he said it was, we cashed it, no problems. i dont know the man, and never met him. Thats not a good practice but thats how things should always go in this world.

The one thing about holding a check is that at that point you gave them credit terms. Then if the check bounces you have no recourse because you gave them credit. You would not be able to go after them for writing a bad check. You are doing the right thing by going only cash but make sure and hold a couple notes up to the light to see the correct watermark. I have seen $5 bills bleached out and reprinted to be a $100 and looked good. Our company lost $100 on that deal.

I sold a 4 wheeler this summer, i was workin out of town and my wife was on vacation. talked to the Gent on the phone, he went to my place to test ride it. He called me back, left a check and took it home. THe check was right where he said it was, we cashed it, no problems. i dont know the man, and never met him. Thats not a good practice but thats how things should always go in this world.

well its nice that there are some people that are honest. i would have never had them leave a check. like said before if they really are honest and want what your selling they should have no problem getting cash for it. if they dont wanna get cash for you i would say there tring to skam you.

If the both of you have a PayPal account, that would be an option as long as they agree to pay the fees. That way, it could come from their credit card.

be careful with that also. if the person thats buying knows how paypal works he can scam you also. they tried it on us but we caught it.