• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat ATV cold starting

propster

Been on FM for awhile but new to this particular forum. You guys are good! My question concerns a 2002 Arctic Cat 375 4x4 Auto - are these things just plain old cold-blooded? Seems every winter when it gets cold like it did last week I cannot start the thing, even after charging the battery so it's got good crank. Other than that minor complaint it has run beautifully for me over all the years. Anything I can do to it to avoid the tough starting other than putting it in a warm place, which I can't? Do they make such a thing as a heated blanket that would help any? Is there a plug-in heater like on vehicles? Thanks guys.

ps: kid had to pull the sled by hand to get wood in - he was sure happy when it warmed up to 5F and it started!

One thing that will will help is to switch over to a lighter viscosity oil which will allow the motor to turn over faster/easier. If you haven't already, consider switching over to synthetic oil also.

theoilman can get you set up with AMSOIL and answer any questions you have.

CLICK HERE for your AMSOIL needs

I have seen block heaters in the past for ATVs, but that was 20 years ago. I don't recall how they actually attached to the engine.

Propster,

Cat makes a tank heater that should fit your machine. It fits all Liquid Cooled machines from 96 - 09. P/N 0436-035

I have one on mine. And yeah, it makes all the difference in the world.

Bob

I think the 375 is air cooled motor.

Now to answer your question is it possable to throw a blanket or maybe even a tarp over the atv or engine and putting a small heater under the blanket. Or you could use heat lamps, I have done this and it works. Other than that you could try some starting fluid aka ether. But that would be more hassle to take off the air box lid, air filter and spray some in the crab. We have an 2002 Cat 300 4x4 it is cold blooded.

propster, I think your carburetor should have a primer on it that you push a few times when it is cold. I have a 2005 AC 400 auto and If it doesn't want to start I flip the primer about 3 or 4 times and it starts right up. Mine hasn't been started for a month at this time and it will start if I prime it a few times. I also use AC 0 W4 0 synthetic oil in it which helps when it is really cold.

Coombia you can look up parts and a diagram of the carb on

Brownsleisureworld web site it will show the idle adjust other wise you will find it hanging of the side it has a knob you just turn with your fingers...

Any carb with electric choke has a primer.

Duck you are partly correct the 375 does not.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will definitely change the oil to the low visc. Tried the starting fluid during the last cold spell and it didn't do anything - may have been flooded by that point? I got a little lost in the discussion on the primer - do you think the 375 has one or no? It sounds like probably not. It has a lever for the choke. If it does have a primer and it's on the carb, do you have to remove the seat to get at it? Thanks again.

My engine is a 376 cc and the primer is just a small lever that you can pump that is between the carb and the cylinder head. You just push the lever and it will return to the original position and you can do it a few more times. As someone has said, it is probably only on the carburetors with an electric choke. I don't have to remove the seat. I just reach in from the side of the machine.

All Arctic Cats with or without electric chokes have a primer on the carb. It will be the yellow zinc lever on the right side of the carb. You push it down to prime. You will feel when the lever stiffens and you are priming about 3 pumps should be good.

You may also want to stand on the footrests and and rock gently from side to side just prior to starting.

I have a 03 400 manual 4x4. It also starts hard when it gets below 0 degrees out. I talked to the mechanic at my local dealer about it. He told me to pull the pull start and hit the start button at the same time. He told me that when it is that cold the starter draws so much current that the spark is a little weak and pull starting it at the same time gives the system a little extra juice. I ve had my battery charger on the battery with it on boost and the motor spins fine but still wont fire. Pull on the pull start and hit the starter button at the same time and it fired right off. Works for me every time it gets really cold out. Hope this helps you.

I'm going to give that a whirl if it gets that cold again. Is your pull start as tough to pull as mine? It's a bear...

Would it help any to have a brand new spark plug in there? The current one has only been in there a year and a half, but maybe every little bit helps? Thanks for the tip.

Poor cold blooded cats! wink

I don't think my kitty is any more cold blooded than any other carbed ATV. Anyway, it has always started for me no matter how cold it has been and I have only had to prime it once. I would rather have a primer on my carburetor than not. I do let mine warm up for a while rather than crank it up and take off right away.

I have a 2002 300 4x4. The electric start works great in cold weather, just not when its in cold temps for a week or more! Then I just flip the de-compression switch and it usually pull starts with in 2 to 4 trys. Its very easy to pull the cord, IF you flip the de-compression switch every time.

Hey where does it say what size the engine is on the Atic Cat. I'm borrowing one this winter and I cant find the size for it to tune it up for the guy before I return it. Its an automatic but thats all I can find. Oh ya it starts great in any temp with the pull choke.