• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Rod Building Projects

I figure if people want it, I'll build it, but it won't be anything fast...I'd say 2 weeks per rod if I did it. If anything it would give me a little "Play money" to upgrade equipment to some nicer things...like Captain's rod wrapper!!

Steve

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love those reamers. I did a few with some rat tail files in different sizes and I got the job done but those reamers are the ticket.

I would love the power wrapper and I suppose one day in the near future I will own one. The v blocks I use now do get the job done.

Seems I take alot of time wrapping the thread but it sure looks nice when its done.

I will be at Midwests shop tomorrow Andy incase you will be there.

Now remember this is only my opinion. I believe if you are after top quality work on your rods, you will get better results hand wrapping. I believe you take more time to be sure the threads as wrapped evenly, no over wrapping and packed tighter.

Tom, I would find someone who has one that you can try before you dump the $$$ into a power wrapper. I have heard of more than one person who bought one and found they couldn't stand using it. And they aren't really cheap.

I'll second the hand wrapping. I had a power wrapper and didnt like it. It takes time to get good but im sure I was as fast if not faster by hand and a nicer job. I also found any kind of butt wrap very difficult on a power wrapper. I do know some people that like tham and do great work on them also...

I believe if you are after top quality work on your rods, you will get better results hand wrapping. I believe you take more time to be sure the threads as wrapped evenly, no over wrapping and packed tighter.

I could not agree more.

IMO there is two types of hand built fishing rods.

Hand built custom rods, and

Hand built production rods

I build both.

I need to decide if I want a 6’3 jigging rod with large guides for cold weather and a real seat I have not used before.

Or do I want “The” 6’3 ½ jigging rod.

I f I’m trying something new, blank, guide lay out, handle, real seat……ext ....It’s not worth my time to put in the extra effort. I just want to build it and try it.

You can still hand wrap with a wrapping machine.

IMG_2382.jpg

With out the chuck hooked up it's a hand wrapper.

Everything else is the same.

With a motor it’s a lot better on your arms.

It just takes some getting use to.

You could call Thorne Bros or Midwest Rod and Reel and see if they have classes coming up. Or even pick upa book and start doing some reading. If you have someone build you one, you will have a nice rod, if you learn how yourself, you can build custom/specialty rods for yourself for years to come.

It is a fun and rewarding hobby.

With Thorne Bros. All you need to do is pick out a rod blank, and set up shop time with them. There are really no "set classes". They will work one on one with you to build your rod. A word of caution. You will not stop after one rod. Your'e hooked!!!!

With Thorne Bros. All you need to do is pick out a rod blank, and set up shop time with them. There are really no "set classes". They will work one on one with you to build your rod. A word of caution. You will not stop after one rod. Your'e hooked!!!!

Midwest Rod & reel also offers private classes along with group lessons. Looking to make an eye rod, Bill and Al will take the time needed to help you out.

I was very happy with my first rod.

VMS,

Try taking your tag end and before pulling it through, cut it short so it does not come out of the wraps when you pull your loop through. It will now just lay under the wraps with nothing prodruding and nothing to to trim. If this does not make sense, shoot me an email

al

midwest rod & reel

Tom,

One advantage of the power wrapper, is you don't have to spend extra for a drying motor. You just switch pully's and you are good to go. Don't forget, you can also hand wrap using a power wrapper, just disconnect your drive belt. Now from someone who has to use a power wrapper I couldn't agree more with what everyone is saying, but if you are doing a lot of rods per day or in my case, if you are playing the carpel tunnel game, then power wrapping may be an option. But I still prefer hand wrapping whenever I can get away with it.

Al

Midwest Rod & Reel