• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Rod Building Projects

I just finished a CB70H for my brother and I'm also working on a CB70MH for my Dad. Dad's will be done with Navy theme using Navy Blue and Gold. This is a surprise from us boys for Father's Day.

I'm also working a steelhead and ultralite for two guys.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on a White MHX Frog blank that I started last summer that I got frustrated on with the Syncork handle but now I would like to finish it up before its too late.

randerson,

I would love to see some pics of this when your done.

I have been toying around with the idea of White blanks and it seams that there is some nice White reels out this year that would make for some neat matching combos.

Is the syncork handle you are working with from Thorne Brothers?

I just finished a CB70H for my brother and I'm also working on a CB70MH for my Dad. Dad's will be done with Navy theme using Navy Blue and Gold. This is a surprise from us boys for Father's Day.

I'm also working a steelhead and ultralite for two guys.

Someone has been busy grin

I want to build my brother in law a walleye jigging rod to use on Mille Lacs

What’s a decent blank that won’t break the bank? ($100 max)

I read through some old posts and was thinking maybe a Batson XSW68MX? I see there on sale for $65 online.

Thanks

First off the XSW68MX is a great all around walleye blank, meaning if you want something for rigging and jigging.

If you are liking for a strait jigging rod I personal would look at something else.

My first question would be the jig weight. What weight jigs would he be using?

The second question would be the length. Is this for vertical jigging or pitching?

The third would be line choice. What line is going to be used with this rod?

These questions need to be answered to make a good blank selection.

My feeling is that you would be better suited with a 6'3" to 6'6" ML for jig fishing on Mille Lacs.

Yes syncork came from Thorne Ill try and post some picks when I get a chance to work on it I'm still trying to figure out my guide spacing for this Blank going with 8 guides + tip top and its 7'3"blank

Why does this topic change from winter project to Walleye jigging Blank???

One thing that I've done is developed short questionnaire that I provide the person using the rod. I have them answer some basic questions and what they would like to see. From this form we then have a discussion on their needs and review various options that are available to them. I've found this to be helpful on more then one occasion. They were saying one thing and as we were discussion it, it turned out they were really looking for something different.

That's a very useful idea clKiekhafer. Just yesterday I had a customer picking up his ice rods and he noticed some of the graphics weren't what he wanted. Because we had sat down beforehand and covered every detail I was able to show him the mockups we had discussed at the beginning of the project. He had okayed them earlier but it was a simple misunderstanding and I was able to fix them in time for him to pick up today.

He was happy, I was happy and he will probably order more rods in the future.

I would look for Medimum light rod with a fast action at least 7 ft.

Not everyone would go this route but I have a 9ft 7wt fly rod that is is wrapped as a spinning rod that I use when I want to fish 7+ft leaders. Works well. It is soft enough to detect the bite, but soft enough action they don't spit the bait right away. And the extra length makes dealing with the longer leader at the boat a bit easier.

A.W.

I guess I was wrong about the style of fishing he does,the blank would be used for drifting and dragging a minnow or leech on 6 to 12 leader.

So what would be a good blank for that style of fishing?

Thanks

upnorth hit the nail on the head on this one and I couldn't agree more.

If you want to stay in the "x" series from Batson there is 3 good options.

The XSW72ML ,XSW76ML and the XSW80ML. All three are ML Fast. Just pick the length that works for your build.

I have done a few XSW80ML that I added 6" to because the costumers wanted 8'6" rods.

One trick with long snell rods is to put a drop-shot hook keeper on them so you can loop the snell around it and hook the hook back on the frame of a guide.

Well I finally heard back from Mudhole and they first told me that 8 guides was a bit much before I gave him my handle length now he came back and told me to use 9

"I laid the spacing out and it appears to take 9 guides. Inches from the tip - 3-1/2, 7-1/2, 12, 17, 22-1/2, 28-1/2, 35-1/4, 42 & 50" So when I first ordered this Blank I ordered 8 guides now I'm wondering is 9 the answer also what size should I have now.??

Well I finally heard back from Mudhole and they first told me that 8 guides was a bit much before I gave him my handle length now he came back and told me to use 9

"I laid the spacing out and it appears to take 9 guides. Inches from the tip - 3-1/2, 7-1/2, 12, 17, 22-1/2, 28-1/2, 35-1/4, 42 & 50" So when I first ordered this Blank I ordered 8 guides now I'm wondering is 9 the answer also what size should I have now.??

I'm assuming this frog rod is casting?

How long is your handle? But more importantly what is the distance from the RS to your stripper guide?

I like to start at 22" to 24" for the Stripper guide.

Just started to build myself a new panfish rod.

This one will have red cedar grips, few Earnhardt decals and a #3 decal inlay in the butt end. Micro guides also. Might have a bit of bling on the rod but it will be fun fishing with Dale Sr. All on a 7' SC5 blank

Also building another rod for the Twist of Fate banquet that I guide for.

7' SC5 blank, red cedar grips with a whitetale antler for a reel seat. Shotgun shell in the butt end and some deacls. Micro guides will be used on this one.

Finishing up on a light action rod for one of my granddaughters for panfish also.

Building another rod for a good friend of mine.

6.5' SC Avid rod blank, EVA split grips. No bling on this rod, just a super light, sensitive rod for walleyes.

It's so enjoyable to build the rods when one enjoys it so much.

I have 4 others to build but they do not have to be done until this spring.

I have been researching doing a few of the graphite grips like you posted in the forums. Really liked the style and I would guess they are very light. They are sweet looking grips.

Going to do the first one for me incase it does not turn out as well as I planned. I will be the ginea pig.

Yes this is a Casting frog rod My rear hood(where the rear of reel will sit) on the reel seat is about 13" from the butt cap which would put my first guide at 24" in front or 50" from the tip

Is the layout not working in a flex test?

I take it you are building this standard and not spiral. You can probably loose 2 guides if you make it a spiral.

It's so enjoyable to build the rods when one enjoys it so much.

I have 4 others to build but they do not have to be done until this spring.

I have been researching doing a few of the graphite grips like you posted in the forums. Really liked the style and I would guess they are very light. They are sweet looking grips.

Going to do the first one for me incase it does not turn out as well as I planned. I will be the ginea pig.

Have fun with the carbon fiber. It is a lengthy process. Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions

A.W. -

Finally got to talk with my brother in law on his style of walleye fishing. His current set up is a 7’6” Shimano Compre running 6lb test using a lindy style rig. I’m not stuck on any brand, just looking for a good blank up to $100

Thanks

A.W. -

His current set up is a 7’6” Shimano Compre running 6lb test using a lindy style rig.

Dutch,

I did a little research on the Shimano Compre. It looks like the 7'6" is avalable in M Fast and M x-Fast. The line rating on both rods starts at 8#. He is overpowering the line he is using so if you were to build him the ML X-Fast we have been talking about he is going to see and feel a drastic improvement with that alone.

The Shimano Compre is a IM-9 blank.... for whatever that means. I don't hold a lot of faith these days in what production rod manufactures call there blanks. I can't wait till they come out with a IM-20. grin There is no nationally recognized standard to rate blank construction so the manufactures can call them what ever they want. I can rant about this particular topic for hours so I will save it for another discussion but lets take the IM-9 Shimano Compre and break down the information about it that the manufacture will let us know about the construction.

This rod blank is made with a single type of carbon fiber over a fiberglass scrim. There is no mention of carbon fiber scrims or a proprietary resin used in its construction. yes, most carbon fiber blanks have some type of fiberglass in them.

Blank construction has hit a apex and there is only so many ways you can wrap sheets of material around a steel mandrel. The only way to improve on the construction these days is to look at the materials and process of curing. Look at St Croix, they are tweaking there resin and curing process and are getting up to %30 more strength in there blanks....just by using better glue and ovens.

To sum this up, the Shimano Compre is a $100 finished rod. You get what you pay for.

I would suggest you go with a ML X-Fast.

The Batson XSW76ML and the St Croix 3S76MLXF are in your price point.

full-23524-29908-249.jpg

These are 4 White MHX's that I built. I really like the look of the white rods, the color really pops off of them. The one that looks blue with yellow is actually a dark purple with Chartruse. I will try and take some better pics, this was just a quick one with phone.