• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

College senior looking for a lead on a dream job!!

Cobber

Hey all! I'm just trying to reach out to the FM'ers hanging around here for a possible helping hand. I am currently a senior at Concordia College in Moorhead, and I'll be graduating this spring. I am majoring in communications/public relations and a dream job would be doing public relations/ marketing work for a company involved in some way with either an outdoors/ hunting/ fishing/ camping focus, or an athletic team.

I know that it is a bit of a long shot, but I figured that it never hurt anyone to check!

Thanks all!

How often in my life have I heard "I can't find a job"? Don't take what I am about to say personal. Jobs are there. It may not be what you want or where you want or in your field but, they are there. An 8 buck an hour job is a start. We've had lotta guys work with us til something else comes along. At least they stayed employed. Another option is the military. A degree is a head start even if it is in the enlisted corps. 4 years expierence in the GI world is worth the maturing, self discipline and leadership you gain Vs job hopping. Besides, your student loans, if any, are normally delayed while you are in and your gaining even more educational opportunities thru the GI Bill. Don't be that arrogant thinkin you can enter a discipline lateraly unless of course, you were born with the proverbial silver spoon. Good luck!!!!

A 30 year Vet

I agree that you will probably start out small, but you never know. PR jobs are tight because you only need one person for a whole company.

Fortunately MN is a hotbed for the outdoors industry and a huge advertising market. Keep an eye in the paper for job fairs. Also try different networking sites.

You just got out of college - do not go into your first employment as finding your dream job. There will be no job out there that will be a "dream" when you start out.

I am 34 and have had three jobs from college. Each one held new challenges, but later became mundane and I needed a change. Most likely your dream job will present itself after you have had experience. Find a job that will pay the bills, challenge yourself and give you experience that will be valuable for the future. In other words look for a stepping stone job.

a lot of people look at it as they got a 4 year education why should they take a step way do to a low paying job like that

Sometimes you have to step down to step back up, anyone with a job in this ecomony should be happy. Too many recent grads think they deserve a good job because they have a college degree. Once you get a job that is when the learning and work really starts, that is when you prove your worth and climb the ladder.

Either that or become one of my in-laws, quit two jobs because they weren't your dream jobs and two years later you are still living with mom and dad and bartending just to pay off your student loans.

You just got out of college - do not go into your first employment as finding your dream job. There will be no job out there that will be a "dream" when you start out.

I am 34 and have had three jobs from college. Each one held new challenges, but later became mundane and I needed a change. Most likely your dream job will present itself after you have had experience. Find a job that will pay the bills, challenge yourself and give you experience that will be valuable for the future. In other words look for a stepping stone job.

Good advice!!! Its always easier to look for a job while you have a job that pays the bills!!!

Yeah, it sucks, most college graduates are looking for thee job. But right now, man it seems tough out there to find that higher end job. Student loan agencies don't care if its your dream job or not, once you are employed, they want to collect. Its hard to find a good job and then take most of your paycheck and pay for your student loans, and most have them. But, I'd have to agree, find a job that has the most earning potential right now. Get one that is not a dead end and that you can work your way up a ladder. It will keep you working towards something while still looking for that dream job. Hard to make the payments on loans at $8 an hour. If you could find something paying more than $10, I'd find it wise to take it.

Find a job that will pay the bills, challenge yourself and give you experience that will be valuable for the future. In other words look for a stepping stone job.

Just listen to DuckDog. Keep the bills paid, keep gaining experience, and keep working towards the dream. I had the same idea coming out of college 4 years ago, about finding the dream job and living happily ever after. A few people do find it, but most of them don't. And don't be afraid to take a job doing something that is unrelated to your major, diversify. I have a friend who was a firefighter, then marine biologist, then a retail store mgr for several companies, and now is one of the top IT guys at the FBI.

I graduated not too long ago from UMC and wanted to get that job that would be a Game Warden ect. Well then I found the jobs were almost impossible and you had to start as a freshmen on interning for pennies on the hour. If your looking for a start check out the ND Parks and see if there is anything going on there. Buddy got into Icelandic State Park for Security and then just got a job with the gov on a higher scale if he can pass the Psych test....pray he don't that means he gets a gun :S But just try and see I did hear that some ND jobs are open this year.

Look for the dream job, but take whatever you can get. It doesn't hurt to look, but it might hurt to pass up something while waiting for something else.

A lot of folks graduate and want a great job right out of college b/c all that deferred student loan debt comes creeping up and they are tired of living off ramen noodles when their friends that never went to college are buying houses and having kids. This is coming from someone who has passed on a real life for more than 10 years of higher education.