• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coffee Makers, Air Pots, Etc

gunflint

Question

My wife and I work opposite shifts. We both drink a fair amount of coffee. The problem is between the two of us we probably make 4 to 6 pots a day yet because we are drinking it at different times we end up throwing out around half of it.

Is there a good one or two cup system that you don't have to reload every time you want a cup? Does a good air pot keep coffee fresh for several hours? I'd like to cut back on coffee expenses and maybe give the kids a good idea for Christmas. Any thoughts? Thanks.

14 answers to this question

I got one with a stainless steel thermos pot and it keeps it warm at least for 4 hours. They have ones that are regular glass but i think they'd break to easily.

Man you need to cut down on the coffee. That much isn't good for you. It's a diuretic and so you're going to be loosing a lot of water if you pour down that much.

We bought a good thermos air pot for camping and it works great. We make coffee(perked so it is HOT) and put in the air pot the before night and it is still hot in the am for morning coffee. i don't think your typical drip pot makes coffee as hot as a perc maker but it should keep the coffee warm for quit some time and you don't wind up with over cooked coffee.

Mark I also have a Thermos air pot and its works good.

My coffee pot lets me make 1-12 cups of coffee at a time. Lots of those out there. Got mine at Yonkers I think. Auto shut off and you can pull out the pot and get a cup mid pot with out making a mess.

Like said earlier though unless its decaf that much coffee isnt good for you man. No wonder your such a ANIMAL. grin

I used to drink coffee A TON during the college years and have since cut back significantly with the introduction of Tea. I picked up a Zarafina tea maker and it is SWEET. Makes a killer cup of tea and you don't need to make so much all the time....not to mention it's healthier. smile

We don't drink that much. My point was, I'll make a pot and throw most of it out. We have one of those Bunns with the stainless steel pots. It keeps coffee warm for a few hours but not hot. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a system that makes a cup as you want one.

Couldn't you just make less in your current coffee maker? I know when I make coffee in the morning I only fill it with 1/4 or less water......and not nearly the amount of grounds that I use for a full pot. I am the only one that drinks it in the house and I make enough for about two cups in the morning. Going out hunting I will make a full pot for the thermos.

So the problem is that you can't keep your Bunn's warm?

When I had my radio show at the Big AM 1500 the coffee maker there would burn the stuff in about a half hour. I would put some pennies on the burner to lift the pot up a bit and that would work. Problem was that Jesse would always steal the pennies and so it wouldn't work for a while.

Yes, a good air pot will keep the coffee warm/hot for a decent while.

I always put my fresh coffee in a air pot/thermos pot immediately after it's done brewing. Tastes much better than the stuff that sits on the hot plate. Also, it tastes reasonably decent if you reheat it in the microwave out of the air pot vs leaving it sit on the hot plate.

What also helps is to preheat the air pot/thermos pot with hot water before you put the coffee in.

As a former radio guy myself I understand the penny stealing. grin I just found out that queesanart (sp not even close) makes a grind and brew for about $300. I was hoping for a Ronco version for a little less. I like the air pot idea. Is there a better quality one vs a cheapo?

Gunflint have you ever considered a stove top espresso maker ? They make some that will make up to 6 cups and you don't have to make them quite that strong but they do make a good hot cup. If you do a search for a Bialetti Musa Brushed Stainless Stove-Top Espresso Maker it runs around $50.00 but your coffee would always be fresh. We have a 2 cup model when we need a pick me up in the afternoon.