• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gloves & boots

jiggin pig

I just came across some extra cash and am going out looking for some gloves and boots. Does anyone have any suggestions. I had a pair of GIANT sorels, they weighed too much. and a pair of flip mittens w/ fingers. no wind protections. help!!!

I use Mickey Mouse boots. I'm not sure how heavy they are compaired to your Sorels, but your feet will not get cold in them. $40-$60 on line. I tend not to wear gloves, but if I do need to wear something, I use "chopper" mittens. Easy to get on and off...also plenty warm. Gloves will be colder then mittens due to exposed surface area.

I have a pair of the Mickey Mouse boots and they do keep a guys feet warm.Not the most comfortable things I have ever warn.I do get a couple sore spots if I walk a lot.Mightjust be my funny looking feet.
I have been looking at the Arctic Sport boots from Muck Boots.I have the Muckmaster boots made by them now and are one of the most comfortable boots I have worn.

I too am ned of a good pair of gloves/mittens for ice fishing.I have been taking a few pairs of them along each trip.I usually end up with a bunch of wet gloves and end up wearing nothing come the end of the day.Anyone seen any goretex mittens that come off easily?

There are a lot of fans of Mickey boots out there but I tend to think they're too heavy. I have heard of some die-hards wearing a lightweight winter boot for moving around and then changing into Mickeys for sitting still. There is no doubt that your feet will stay very warm in them.

I got a new pair of Rocky Blizzard Stalkers last year that have served me very well so far. I wear a polypropelene liner sock and a good thick wool sock over the top. These woolies will set you back $10 - 15 per pair but they're the most important part of keeping your feet warm. Another good thing is to keep your feet off the ice. Some use carpet or plywood. I found an old foam swimming kickboard I throw in my house to put my feet on when sitting. Just don't get it too close to the heater. smile.gif

Of course, the extreme alternative is to spend $10K on a super nice permanent and sit there in tennis shoes while you watch the Vikes on DirectTV and wait for the rattle reels to fire up...

Match

Can a guy still buy the white Mickey Mouse boots? The army surplus store sold out and now all they have is the black ones. IMO they are not as warm. With the white ones I didn't even need to wear wool socks. Never even had to tie them. One time ice fishing with friends I pulled one off and steam came out of my boot. Needless to say they were very impressed.

I have 2 pair of the black ones and I have not had a comfort or lack of warmth problem, but everybody is different.

sportsmansguide.com has the white ones for $80. The white ones are rated for lower temps then the black ones.

My own personal favorites are LaCrosse Ice Kings. Might not be the best if you have a long way to walk but they keep my feet WARM. Whatever boot you eventually get, do yourself a favor and get a pair of Smartwool Extreme Hunting socks. They are kind of pricey($15.00 to $20.00) but they work great. Be sure you put on a pair of acrylic or nylon socks first. I still find it hard to beat good old-fashioned leather choppers with wool blend liners for your hands. You could carry an extra pair of liners with you in case the other pair gets wet. Remember to take them out to dry at the end of the day, just like you do with your boot liners.

------------------
YOU CAN'T talk AN OLD talk'ER!

I’ve got two pair of boots that I would recommend. The Cabela’s “Trans Alaska” Series pack boots are really good. I thought they might be too heavy or cumbersome, but I’ve actually found them to be pretty light and easy to walk in. They are not really designed for walking around too much.

The second pair that really surprised me is a pair of Cabelas / Danner hunting boots. They are all leather with gortex linings and Thinsulate insulation. They must be 800-1000 gm insulation because they are surprisingly warm. These are easily the best all around boot I’ve ever used – super warm, great support and mobility.

Both of these boots are expensive and I was lucky to find them on close out or at the tent sale at very reasonable prices.

Lastly, I would add that proper fit has a big impact on how well the boots are able to insulate. If they feel “almost” good enough, they’re really, “not quite” good enough.

Oh - for mittens - large sized leather chopper mits. Still kind of old school there :-\

Northlander's gonna rip me for this one but grin.gif I've owned Micky's, Sorels, and Ice Kings. They're all pretty good at keeping your feet warm. If your hiking through the woods to that next spot or mushing there's only one Steger Mukluk. It's one thing to sit on your bucket all day and in wet conditions the above stated have the advantage. But if I'm going to be on my feet all day, I'll take my Muks. Extremely light, very warm, and you can wear them in warmer conditions without rotting your feet off. (Pew! tongue.gif ) When I'm winter camping, they never leave my feet. Stf and I did the portage into Trout (Vermillion) last winter. He had his muks and I didn't have mine. DEATH MARCH!!!

I like the looks of the mukboots as well. Haven't tried them though.

If you want light pick up a pair of gore tex hunting boots with 1000 grams or better insulation. I have a pair of Rockey Bear Claw 2. I wear them pretty much daily from the start of deer hunting through the end of ice fishing and I have had the pair that I have now for going on 4 years. I have a heavy pair of Sorels too and I haven't worn them since I got my rockeys. I wear them with a pair of thermax liner socks and then a heavy pair of socks and I stay toasty warm.

For glove last year I bought a pair of Cabela's Gore Tex Pinnacle gloves. They are a little bulk but way better than a pair of choppers. They pull up over your coat sleaves. The best part is the outside and be dripping wet but because of the goretex your hands will still be dry. I bought a pair and then I had a buddy say he was looking for new gloves he saw mine and had himself a pair shortly there after.

I agree on the 1000 grain rockies. They are very warm when you need them to be. I have been elk hunting when it was 70 degrees and not had a problem with getting too hot. Also, they are very light and comfortable. However, the best part is, I got my first pair ELEVEN years ago. After some very rough years the leather is still fine, but the rubber on the bottom is rotting and starting to leak, so I am retiring them this year. That $150 is pretty cheap spread over ten or so years.

As for the boots, I can't say much. I own a pair of LaCrosse myself, but they are a bit on the giant side. For the mitts, there is no doubt that OR - Outdoor Research makes the most comfortable glove out there. They are a little hard to find, so you may have to do some snooping on the web. I've owned a pair of their "Gore Tex Modular Mitts" since '97 and they still keep my hands cozy warm, especially in the wind. The waterproofing is wearing off, but it's only been 7 years. These gloves can be quite spendy depending on kind you get mine were $80 I believe, and I've seen some for $150, but going on my 8th year, I would have to say it was money well spent. There is a new pair out called 'Rain Claw" they make. It is a split finger design, but I guess you can stick your hand down the hole with out worrying about frostbite on the fingers.

I own a pair of rocky's...I think they are called Ice stalkers. They have retractable cleats in the bottom and I dont know what the thinsulate rating is but they are extremely warm. I do not they quit making them...I found mine on hsolist.