• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Wisconsin gun deer season

We will be hunting in the Blue Hills (Rusk County). I hope there is a dusting of snow as well Muskyhunter! I wish everyone a safe & successful hunt. Our cabin is about 6 miles from the Vang incident and we think about it every year.

I'll be hunting in Barron County around the Prairie Farm area. I would love for there to be some snow this year, and it definitely could happen. Looking forward to gun season. Been bowhunting quite a bit this past week and have seen some nice bucks, but nothing within shooting range. Saw one today when I pulled in my driveway that took my breath away, I think its the same one my husband saw last Friday and he is a beauty. Wide and tall rack, antlers are very white. I hope to see him again, preferably this weekend while bowhunting. Hubby saw him last week while in his stand, but he wouldn't come any closer than about 60 yards. I sure have buck fever today, its all I have been thinking about. I love deer hunting! Good luck to everyone and please be safe out there. I do have opening day off and from Thanksgiving to end of season off, but have to work Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. I work as a Paramedic and I don't want to see any hunters in my ambulance! BE CAREFUL!

Coot, Corny is up north on Lk Superior ( Cornicorpia).

Well ,I will be up in Douglas co. hunting my own land. Outlook looks real good so far but you all know that when the first shot rings out they go into hibernation wink

Good luck to all and please be safe and use your harnesses in your stands.

Jar Jar

I'll be sitting this one out.. Traveling a bit.. Oh well, got a few eaters already for the season.

Everything I have heard and seen around these parts, not a lot of deer around, compared to years past. A good thing in my mind, but might suprise a few folks out there this gun season.

Good luck everyone..

I have to agree JKH, I think last winter may have been a little harder on the herd than in years past. I will be hunting south of Brule and around the Amery area. I hit it hard bowhunting the past couple weeks, the warm weather didn't really help but the deer were definitely on the move after the cold snap. I did not see the number of deer I normally do for being this time of year but some of the bucks I did see were pretty hot after does. Hopefully in the northern part of the state the rut lasts a little longer like it did last year, which for our party was real good. Actually got some of those bucks moving off the neighboring bait piles and made them a little more accessible to everyone else. Should be fun, it always is.

I'll be hunting near the Oshkosh area. The current acreage I hunt has massive deer sign available, but the last 2 weeks I've logged over 50hrs of bowhunting and haven't seen a deer. I'm floored, and have made the assumption that they are strictly moving at night. Scraps get worked, does had visited, trailcam has only night pics. Not sure what has caused it, but I hope the rut will change their routine. Good Luck to everyone, the weather can't be any better. Shoot straight and know your target.

Sure, just don't make me go deer hunting madcry. I have kid duty mon-wed in the morning. But can go tree watching in the afternoons. We should go duck hunting the last Tuesday afternoon if we can find some water. Shes half froze up today even with the strong nw wind.

I'll be hunting Zone 10 near Grantsburg / Crex Meadows. This is one of the few zones in the state that is NOT a herd mgmt or EAB, and it shows. We have seen very few deer during the archery season. We even have to buy an anterless tag for this area!

Think it's gonna be tough. On the bright side, of the deer we've seen, there have been some pretty decent bucks.

DonBo, I also will be hunting zone 10, near Webster. Last year deer seemed a bit more scarce than usual, so the non herd mgmt makes sense I guess. Hopefully we'll be surprised, with more hunting pressure and deer moving around.

Good luck

I'm hoping to be surprised, but like I said, we've been bowhunting all fall with very little success. And even though zone 10 is not herd mgmt it may as well be. Tags are virtually unlimited, what's up with that?

Do you hunt public land or private near Webster? We hunt the public land near the St. Croix River.

I bowhunt closer to the eastern side of unit 10. Early on this season, it seemed like the deer numbers were down. But, the past 2 weeks were like the last few years. Lots of does and fawns, a few small bucks and 1 shooter walking into our land, while I was in my truck heading home.

I just got permission to hunt an 80 off of Klarquist(a little closer to where you are hunting) and there was a ton of deer sign on my quick scouting trip.

Good luck next weekend. I'll be back home in Sayner.

DonBo, I was wondering the same thing about the high number of permits they're willing to sell in zone 10. Maybe it's a high concentration of hunters that are willing to pay $20 (non-res) that keep it going.

We hunt private land. 80 acres: 40 tillable, 20 woods, and 20 rolling with cedars/spruce. As a matter of fact it's for sale if you're looking to expand your range.

Good Luck...and let's cross our fingers for at least a dusting of snow. I miss those years of 2-6 inches of fresh powder on opening morning.

I'll be working opening weekend (I take off time for bowhunting and the guy I'm filling in for takes off gun season). Just wanted to wish everyone good luck and have a safe hunt. Oh yeah, and don't shot all of them, I plan on hunting the 2nd season.

Well, Good Luck to everyone this opening weekend. May the big one walk in front of your barrel. I have State H.S. Football game to attend tomorrow night, then I'm on my way to deer camp. Stay Safe and enjoy the time.