• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Go Jigging Spoons

Northlander

Wondering what everyones favorite spoons are during the hardwater season.<BR>Here are some of mine.

1) Jr Tackles Flasher Spoon

2) Blue Fox Tingler ( No Longer Made )

3) Angle Eyes

4) Jr's Crusher or Smashers

5) Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoons

6) Blue Fox Rattle Spoons<BR>7) Little Cleo's

8) Northlands Forage Minnow Spoon

9) Swedish Pimples

10) Doctored Mich Stinger and Sutton West River Spoon ( Lake Superior)

These are my most used spoons. What are your favorite spoons, jig, tip up set ups etc?

[from admin: Go Devil and Angel Jigging Spoons - Click Here

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order --glow Angel Eyes, with the hooks changed to Mustad Triple Grip and larger split rings-- small size Crushers, especially the ones with the new high tech finishes-- gold Cicadas-- Buckshot Rattle Spoons, sometimes with the treble removed and a 3 to 6 inch dropper with a single hook, great Perch rig. I have a great investment in ice fishing lures but these are the go-to lures. A lot of the rest are just for show. wink.gif

northlander-
i don't know the ounces off hand but the length is 1" to 1 1/4". firetiger has always been a great color and the silver w/ blue stripe works well for the eyes also. i also use the perch, gold, and silver w/ chartruese. back home in south dakota that's all my buddies ever used, so i used them also. seems like you could use a kastmaster or buckshot to call in the eyes and some days you couldn't get it down fast enough!
for the pike guys--could always get some pike with them too.

[This message has been edited by ivegottabite (edited 10-02-2004).]

I prefer the Flasher Spoon or Crusher Spoon by JR's Tackle. Both are fished in a different manner and have different action but are very productive for walleyes and pike. Rattle spoons are also high in my book. Kastmaster style spoons work well too. A lot of people have good success with Angel Eyes as well.

I've done pretty good in the past with smaller spoons for panfish and perch, like say a 1/16oz spoon. Glow red has been a hot item the last couple years and should be no different this year.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

Doesnt matter what type of fish I guess because a lot of these spoons arent used for only walleye. Most of these I can downsize for Perch or Crappie.
Im a fairly agressive Fisherman so Spoons are my favorite. Raps, Chubby Darters and Jigging plastics would have to be second.

Spoons...what a topic. Not an ice fishing trip goes by that I do not have at least on one rod rigged with a spoon. I almost always fish with a spoon tied on one rod and a dead stick in the other holes Many times the spoons action will attract the fish and it will hit the spoon but many other times it will take the dead stick.

My favorites would include the Angel Eye Jr.@ to duplicate that dying minnow, The Go DevilTM, to duplicate a feeding bait fish, or the JB lure Rattlin Varmit Spoon to call them in with their loud built in rattle. Size, shape and color depend mostly on the water conditions and fish preferences that day.

My number one color for the Angel Eye Jr.@ is the Glow/Pink. For the Go DevilTM it is the 1/8th oz or the 1/16th oz Glow Perch. When Crappie fishing I will sometime switch to the Neon Red Glow. Most of the time I will tip these spoons with just the head of a minnow.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle
[email protected]

Lets see.
I don't know that I have favorites,but the fish I have polled seem to like these. smile.gif

Scenic Tackles
Glow Devils and Angle Eyes.(no surprise there!)
JR's Crushers and Flutter Crushers,along with JR's Minnows when the fish are prefering a slow or stationary horizontal bait.
Forage Minnows.
And some cheapo Walmart spoons.Can't remeber what they are called but they come in a 5 pack and are designed for open water casting.You HAVE to replace the hooks on them.

I also make sure I have some airplane jigs,Rapala's,Chubby's and Nils for aggressive horizontal presentations.

i thought you meant if we could only pick one............

i use kastmasters, but only the silver color. and sometimes the northland buckshots, only in stained /dirty water....LOW

I usually tip them with a head or at times tails. When fishing Lake Superior and at times LOW I will use a whole shine or both a head and tail on seperate hooks.
I let the fish tell me what they want.

I tip my spoons when targeting walleye or pike with either a minnow head or whole minnow. For perch and panfish I'll tip with maggots or a minnow head. For catfish I'll hook a minnow through the head, then pinch it in half and hook the back end through a different hook on the treble. Those cats like that smile.gif

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

When using the Angel Eye Spoons I will tip that with just the head of a minnow when after walleye and perch but often times I will use a whole minnow for the slab Crappies.

When using the Go Devils I normally just use either a minnow head, wax worm or the finesse plastics from Custom Jigs and Spins.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle
[email protected]

My favorites in order ar
1) Jr's Crushers
2) Jr's Flutter Crushers
3) Jr's Smashers
4) Jr's Flasher
Notice a patter of what I like??
5) Angle Eye Jr.
6) Glow Devils
7) Northland Buckshot Rattlers
8) Swedish pimples

All of these are great lures for me. I probably use these 90% of my time fishing and the other 10% I use chubby darters, or jigging rapalas, or plain lead heads. These are all good ones for me. I always fish them with 2 minneow heads never a whole minneow it give the fish to much to play with and I have lost to many fish with the minneow tearing off. I have also found that it make a difference 1 head or 2. If I have one head on I have had lots on fish on the Marcum that won't bite. I reel up put the second head on drop it back down and wham fish on. My favorite colors are GOLD, a GOLD, a GOLD, Glow red, pink/white, perch, Glow. The gold it the big part especially on lake of the woods. I always say it doesn't matter what you use up there as long as it has gold on it. I always carry about 3 plano trays of jigging spoons when I hit the ice.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 10-04-2004).]

There are just a ton of great jigging spoons out there today. Yes the Jerk would be another great choice as would the Phelps Glow Spoons or the many spoons offered by Custom Jigs & Spins.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Ahh yes, jigging spoons, my favorite topic by far. I could talk jigging spoons all day. I use them for everything, literally. I'll incorperate a dropper for 'gills even. By far my favorite spoons would have to be Phelp's Glow Spoons. I've had so much success on the glow spoons that I haven't used anything else in a couple years. Of course I have a large selection for my clients, but they always end the day with a blue/glow Phelps spoon. Blue/glow 1/4 oz. is my weapon of choice for 'eyes, and the 1/8 oz. slim size is great for crappies on Red and also to use a dropper with for perch. They also came out with a new complete glow red spoon that will be available at Gander Mt.s this winter, it looks like a killer!

I grew up on Swedish Pimples and worked my way through a variety of spoons throughout the years, these would be my favorites in order.

Phelps Glow Spoons
Custom Jigs and Spins Slender Spoons
Kastmasters
Swedish Pimples

All of the above are tipped with a minnow head or euros.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
mjbreuer...at...paulbunyan.net
-----------------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Bluewater Bait